Home General Discussion

maybe music IS dead

Badge
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Badge polycounter lvl 18
Why is it nobody creates and plays music that is about MUSIC and melody rather than angst and suicide and rebellion and jibbah-jabbah.

after watching Fuse for 20 mins it seems everyone wants to express their own sorrow and disposition through synthetic guitar filters and bland scores rather than raw, soul-enriched noise.

does anyone actually enjoy these cookie-cutter miscreants?
im not saying their bad, or its bad to enjoy them; but i myself cant get into the whole....(mainstream?) jive.

Replies

• Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mishra polycounter lvl 18
    thats because you were watching fuse you think this. and on mtv it's all hip hop and hillary duff. people listen to these things because they're so readily available, and record producers tend to sign more bands they think will sell than what they think sounds good and original, there are good bands out there but they havent gone mainstream or even been signed yet.
  • Badge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Badge polycounter lvl 18
    sorry i meant to gear this more towards rock genres.

but WHY do people appoint these individuals to floor the media outlets? just becuase they want more money huh? perhaps its time to turn to a new outlet.
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    Hmmm...you sorta speak as if only now music is about angsty things...sorrow and such has been an inspiration for music (and any art for that matter) for generations.
  • BIOS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BIOS polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    after watching Fuse for 20 mins it seems everyone wants to express their own sorrow and disposition through synthetic guitar filters and bland scores rather than raw, soul-enriched noise.

[/ QUOTE ]

well, for starters you might try an outlet where you have to listen rather than watch.

kexp.org has a great selection of music, although the focus is definitely slanted towards the indie end of the spectrum.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    holy cow, this is the internet! shake your ass, get to looking around for bands that you like and then buy their records, it's that easy!

you may notice that amazon.com's recommendation system, for starters, is actually pretty good about correlating people who like group x or y tending to like group z and then reccommending them.

hell, there are even search engines that can visually map out related artists.
    http://www.musicplasma.com is one such example, but there are others that work in a similar fashion.

or if you want to be more involved, just start looking for messageboards that are dedicated to your favorite groups and ask people, "hey, i really like DeathSlayerz, can you you recommend me some bands that i might also like?"

i love music dearly, but i know that music video channels of any sort rarely if ever cater to even a narrow swath of what i like--so i ignore them. it's not my thing, and it doesn't sound like your thing. so instead of making some silly post groaning about how shitty MTV or Fuse or whatever, which is pretty much a given, why not put at least half that effort into finding some music that you actually like?

as BIOS mentioned--there's internet radio, your local radio (yes, mine is actually pretty good), satellite radio.

affordable but quality recording equipment plus the internet means that just about anyone who wants to put out an album can. while that's true that there's a lot more garbage out there, there's also bound to be a lot of bands that you've never heard of that you'd probably love. just try and make an effort to find them and you'll be greatly rewarded.

and as far as MTV and the rest is concerned, that machine can only swallow money (for an impromptu REM quote). that's what it's designed to do. so if you're not into that 'mainstream jive', just ignore it. the internet allows us to completely bypass that whole system, and we're better for it.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    what's fuse?

anyway, I'm happy that bands such as Megadeth and Fear Factory are going back to their beginnings and leaving the nu-metal/alternative trend behind them. Dave's newest work actually motivated me to dust off the axe and start learning new songs worth playing. Maybe this is a sign of things to come.

Turn off the TV and find a good internet radio station. I usually listen to chronixradio.com Don't let depressed teenage girls influence your listening habits.
  • Badge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Badge polycounter lvl 18
    "does anyone actually enjoy these cookie-cutter miscreants?"

my focus was more towards the question...

im just concerned about people who enjoy music for purposes other than money or emulating who or what they saw or HEARD on their daily media broadcast.

radio IMO is definetly not a plce to find new or more often than not, good music.

since a lot of you turned focus on to me, allow me to say i am almost overwhelmed with artists which i enjoy almost endlessly. imay never feel content with my staggering collection of cds, but i know of artists that practically dont even exist to the world!

MY outlet is infact the internet, my methods may be questionable but the moneys all going to the right place, and once in a (great) while i can actually find hard copies of the songs i want. i mentioned Fuse becuase this was the first time in a long time ive watched any form of music television. my car doesnt even have an antenna ( with good reason) and i have so many CDs in my car, they injur passengers when i hit potholes.

its kind of a glance to the future, to the impressionable few who have the chance to produce something great, or soemthing cloned and artificial. dont even ask me my favorite bands, this post is long as hell as it is 0.o
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    im sure there are people that enjoy it, if people didnt like it they wouldnt buy it. as to whether theyt will enjoy it in a year, i think not. they'll like the bands you're talking about now, but when they realize "hey, i dont really like this band" they will stop listening to them, or expand their horizons and find new genres and bands they actually like.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    My favorite is bands like Korn who are in their (I would think) late 20s - early 30s + and still their lyrics are about teen angst; Yea, so you got picked on in high school, yea you had a fucked up life - who didn't? FFS get over it already!

I don't think you can sing about teen angst much past your early to mid-20s and still expect to be taken seriously.

Mind you, Korn is just a prime example. There are many, many bands like this. I also wonder how long Blink-182 expect to continue singing cutesy, high school pop-punk love ballads and expect to be taken seriously ... wait ... were they ever taken seriously?

BTW - wtf is Fuse?
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    Fuse is the Canadian MTV, is used to be called Much Music, but I suppose they wanted to be more edgy.

By the way, Astrozombie, I do believe Blink 182 is no more, good riddiance if you ask me, haha.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Music is alive every time I plug in my guitar or keyboard!
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    I stopped caring about texts long time ago. A song is something I listen to while doing something else and maybe sing along but I never ponder the meanings of those things they talk about. For some random reason I'd like to throw Powerman 5000's "Song About Nothing" in here...
  • Badge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Badge polycounter lvl 18
    Mishra: excellent point, perhaps its just something everyone goes through. like puberty hah.

MoP: amen my friend.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    me and some friends are starting a band where all the songs are about Arnold Schwarzenegger, now that is content! We played a thrilling rendition of "Get in the Choppa!" at a party last night.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    You're an idea thief, my band already has a song based around Arnie quotes, it's called "Kill Me Now!"...
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    you don't need talent. you just need to pretend to be talented to a crowd that believes you and tells their friends. this usually involves some alcoholic beverages, and lots of profanity.

my dad's rock band is recording an album, and most of their lyrics include wizards, castles and dragons...that sorta thing.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    me and some friends are starting a band where all the songs are about Arnold Schwarzenegger, now that is content! We played a thrilling rendition of "Get in the Choppa!" at a party last night.

[/ QUOTE ]

fucking brilliant
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Music is dead and pc gaming is dead, am i the only one who sees how asinine these threads are?
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    Pauley Shore is dead.
  • motives
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motives polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Music is dead and pc gaming is dead, am i the only one who sees how asinine these threads are?

[/ QUOTE ]

hear hear
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Pauley Shore is dead.

[/ QUOTE ]

pauly shore is one of my all time favorite living things. im just glad he isnt making movies anymore : /
  • RageUnleashed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RageUnleashed polycounter lvl 18
    Every art form is dead! Everyone's in it for the money and the chicks! wink.gif
  • Downsizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Downsizer polycounter lvl 18
    (Sicko Alert)

Lets just hope the chicks are'nt dead..