Home General Discussion

Game tester position

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
TechSmith polycounter lvl 18
As some of you know I'm moving to Seattle in August. I'v been looking around at jobs there and found a few game tester positions. It doesn't mention pay rate. It just says competitive. What is competitive for game testing? I'm getting tired of support, and this looks interesting to me. Does anyone out there have experience with this type of job? Sage advice appreciated.

Replies

• Foehammer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Foehammer polycounter lvl 18
    i was paid 8-9 an hour for testing at Terminal, it was a ton of hours which made up for the lowish pay. and it was a hell of alot of fun!
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    flaagan worked at EA in their QA department. Should msg him..
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Where you looking at the local third party companies? Just don't expect it to lead to a fulltime job via that route for a long time especially with those third parties.

They dont get alot of contact with the actual developers.

Slayjerman has experience also locally.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Competitive wages to me says, paying enough to keep people in the seats and a cardboard roof over their heads. Most places don't want to advertise how low they are going to be paying people and with a job that is "perceived" as fun one of the perks of having the job is doing it. Since you will get such great perks they feel they can pay you less because well, it beats putting salt on fries.

In this area Seattle for entry level testers I would be shocked if you make more than 12.00 an hour 15.00 max, realistically I would expect testing jobs to be contract no bennies, and pay 9.00-12.00. I could be too high or too low. It's not like I test games for a living nor do I do demographic studies about testers. So take it with a grain of salt, it's just my opinion.
  • Slayerjerman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slayerjerman polycounter lvl 18
    Ive been doing it for the last 5 years. Here are some tips for Seattle.

1) Most testing gigs around here are through 4 agencies.
    Volt, Excell, TestingTesting123 or Parker temp services.
    Meaning you will have to go through alot of bullshit with recruiters and hiring managers to get a gig. With little or no testing EXP, this will prove hard.

2) As such you will likely be working at MS, nintendo or perhaps on some no-name developer project off-site. These gigs are typically 1~3 months long, but sometimes can be shorter and unpredictable. However if you are lucky you could potentially get a 9month gig at MS, then be required to do the 100day break bullshit. Dont count on getting in the door at MS right away or get a long contract.

3) These gigs are typically $9~12 an hour. No benefits. You will be a contractor and treated as such. This is especially bad at MS & Nintendo where they treat contractors as 2nd-class employees. Meaning you will have limited access to events and areas onsite.

4) Unemployment will be your friend. Alot of testing work is "seasonal". Meaning during March through November there will be a fair amount of work and job openings. December through Feb, plan on being on unemployment unless you are lucky to get on a long-term project.

5) The job itself is easy. Point out other people's mistakes. Do not assume you know whats wrong or how to fix it. Just flag the problem and move on. As such you will likely be required to do things OVER and OVER every day until your eyes bleed and your fingers swell. Testing is not all fun. You will loathe the game you work on.

The only other advice I have is no matter what VOLT says, DO NOT take work testing at a consulting firm called VMC. That place is seriously the bottom of the barrel and anyone that has worked there regrets it fully.

feel free to email me at jpritchard(at)gaspowered(dot)com if you want any other info or horror stories.

**edit**
    Meant to add that if you have any sort of ADD or inability to focus or do repeative things, you might want to reconsider.

-jerry
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Meant to add that if you have any sort of ADD or inability to focus or do repeative things, you might want to reconsider.

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally, the reasons above and especially what you just mentioned is why I never pursued it further. Better to sell something to someone in the meantime and work on portfolio in freetime.
  • TechSmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thankfully no ADD or fear of repetitive task. The pay sounds bad, but if I can't find anything else I might go for it. I guess I'm just kind if burned out doing support. My job makes me feel like 90% of the population can't think thier way out of a paper bag. Maybe I'll go back to being a baker. Tech Suppport pays better though.
  • TechSmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm hijacking my own thread now HAHAHAHAHAAA.... OK enough of that.

Why doesn't the Seattlepi post salaries with the jobs they advertise?! This makes things a pain!

I forgot to mention. The conditions that you talk about soubd better than my position right now. Sad.

Alright we return now to our regular thread in progress.
    tongue.gif
  • Slayerjerman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its a basic entry level tech job, so its not something i'd recommend as a career choice.

You're probally better off sticking with tech support and stupid people smile.gif

Honestly, I make $2000 a month before taxes. Thats only $24k a year. Luckily my wife works and we have no kids or insane expenses. But its better than most other jobs.
  • Pseudo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pseudo polycounter lvl 18
    Interesting to know. I am working for Activision through volt atm.
    Activision handles things a bit differently. Rather then applying through Volt, I was hired directly by Activision and then put on the Volt payroll.
    The only relationship I have with Volt is that I see their name on my paychecks smile.gif

Oh, and Activision starts at $9 or $9.50 depending on the time of year.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    I know I am going to step on some toes here, but here goes.

At many companies, entry level artists make around 30-40k (besides bay area) every other dev position (design, coding, scripting, leads, management) goes up in pay from there. All of these positions require serious serious training. You can't just pull anyone off the street and sit them down in an artists chair and expect them to be able to make art, same with programming. However, important to the process though it may be, testing is not something that requires extensive training. Someone can be better or worse at it, but you can take practically anyone and show them how to test a game, and chances are you will find someone moderately good at it. I think that justifies the lower wages.

I personally am friends with a few testers at work, I don't see them as 2nd class people in the slightest, I think they are very cool people, and the game probably couldn't be made without their help. But at the same time, I don't think their job is near as difficult as the programmers, or my fellow artists, it's just not as difficult to do.

I can also see why when a company event costs a lot per head, that the management would leave the testers off the roster. Especially if they are contract, or temporary employees. The events are mostly to maintain morale and to improve quality of life for employees you plan on keeping for the long run. Something that conflicts directly with the whole temp/contract thing.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    It's a tough call to make that one poop eh?

I mean, partly I have to agree that the lower salary is justified because testers point out mistakes, they don't fix them.
    At the same time though, I feel guilty saying that because testers work like fuck, they generally come in at the crunch period of a project when things are tense and dark and they work crunch hours and the earlier you start testing a game, the better that game is.

I guess, that while I have to agree that the lower wage is justified, I have to try to emphasis that game testing is a vital and important part of the development cycle and it's worth is, imo, underestimated.

I don't have many good things to say about my time spent at Lionhead, but one positive things I can say about them is that they have a dedicated testing department where the testers work more closely with each respective development team and offer more than simple input on what is broken.

The offer input on what is and is not fun also and the sooner you have fresh eyes testing your game I think the sooner you game has a chance to going better.

I mean, as talented as most of us are in the this industry, we all have tunnel vision to a certain extent, we stare at each asset or function for many many hours before it even comes together in the game and when we play with it we are studying and searching for more specific things than we should be.

I think game testing is one of those areas of our industry that needs revising a little and as everything else is leading to increased specialization as the technology increases, this may be the time to do it.
  • Frank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frank polycounter lvl 18

Nah. Not worth bothering. Just poop being poop.

Frank the Avenger
  • Slayerjerman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok Poop, lets trade jobs and you sit here and test games. You'll probally have a better understanding for the work that goes on. Yes, Its not art or programming, but it still takes some sort of skill and training to do. There are alot of subtle aspects of the job that require some sort of thought process. Sure it may *seem* like anybody can do it, But let me tell you, I've worked with some people that really could not handle it.

And I am saying contractors in general (not just testers) are treated poorly at MS and Nintendo primarily. That may not hold true to all places. I know here at GPG we in the test department are pretty much last to know on most subjects.

I definitely am grateful to be where I am, the money is not *horrible* the job could be worse and the people in general are friendly. But there are the few places where no matter what your position, it just plain sucks to work there.

Like I said, I wouldnt recommend this line of work as a career. I know alot of people who use testing position as a lillypad job to hop into another department. Its a great way to break into the industry and make contacts as well as get a feel for the whole process.

• oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok minus the rant about testors financial "worth". (Curious Poop. Have you ever had to test on a extended basis?)

What I find to be utterly disgusting is the stories of how mistreated they can be from the regular development team. Especially programers who didn't code right in the first place. Sometimes when the testing department has to have direct contact with the the other departments, a big "Kick Me" seems to be the attitude given to them.

They also sometimes are ignored for flaws in the games pointed out. More than anynone else in the team they should be listened to in this area as they are the ones experiencing it day in and out. But no, because again they are seen as the lackeys.

Like I said. Disgusting. mad.gif
  • JKim3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKim3 polycounter lvl 18
    Poop never said that testers weren't important. He's well aware of how important they are. He never said that everyone is good at testing, but that you can take almost anyone and chances are they'll be ok at it. And because of this, testers aren't payed a shit load of money. I agree with him. It's not that hard to find someone willing to work the job. Because they're such a plentiful "resource", there's no need for high pay to attract testers. Supply and demand tpe deal, I guess you could say.

Oh, and I don't think testers are 2nd class employees at all.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Being "ok" at a job versus being good are two different ideas.

You have someone who is an "ok" artist in your company versus someone good. Who will you let go of first? I mean being "Ok" wont cut it just like it wont in any other position (except management. wink.gif)
  • JKim3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKim3 polycounter lvl 18
    Yes, they are. So? There are artists, animators, programmers, and designers who are "ok".

Edit: Ok. Maybe I'm just sterile, but what does the "ok" employee versus the "good" employee have to do with tester's pay?

Best of luck with deciding to go wtih this, Tech.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry I edited my post when you were responding.. see above.
  • TechSmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think I will look into being a tester as a temp job. I'll keep looking at other options, but it sounds like something I might enjoy. I'll need a job soon after getting there, and this would be a nice buffer against being unemployed.
    Slayerjerman sent me some links and numbers. If anyone has a some good contacts for me to look into, feel free to post or PM me.
  • Slayerjerman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I could say the same thing about artists...plenty out there, but companies only want the good ones, right?

smile.gif
  • JKim3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKim3 polycounter lvl 18
    True. I guess maybe because it's easier to train a tester from scratch than train an artist. Also, an artist with no industry experience has more to show (portfolio) than a tester with no experience. So, that means that all these artists out there get cut down way more in numbers, making them less common.
  • Sett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sett polycounter lvl 18
    I always felt that testing was a dead end job and this thread seems to be enforcing that opinion.
    It seems that it is rare that anyone would/could advance from that position.
  • JKim3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKim3 polycounter lvl 18
    Yeha, I'm a spam whore.

It seems that way to me, too, Sett. I've known people who worked as a tester first, but they had to apply to different companies to be designers. Are there many cases of testers going into dev departments within the same company?
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I always felt that testing was a dead end job and this thread seems to be enforcing that opinion.
    It seems that it is rare that anyone would/could advance from that position.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree, but it kind of depends on what angle you are looking at this from, and probably who you work for.

There seem to be many QA/ testers here at EARS that take the job because they think that it will get them a foot in the door as an artist. It doesn't. Forget that route.

However, many of the producers here came in from QA/test, so in that respect testing isn't a dead end job. It depends what your long term goals are I guess.
  • Slayerjerman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My good friend was a tester here at GPG and climbed out of the test pit to become a producer. It happens.
  • ndcv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ndcv polycounter lvl 18
    Some of the ads I've seen on gamasutra are for "QA Lead/Associate Producer" or something of that sort. Definitely seems to be a well traveled track.

I was a tester for about 6 years (not in games). Definitely got old after a while.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    I understand that the testing stage is a fundamental part of making a good game. The artists/programmers/designers get so involved in the work, an outside perspective is needed, as well as someone willing to run around and try *everything* to find bugs that we would never attempt to do, but some consumer inevitably will.

I know it's a thankless job, if you don't find the bugs, you didn't do your job, if you do find the bugs, people get mad for pointing out their stuff is broken.

I think it's horrible the way some companies treat testers, but the same can be said for any position at some companies.

Mythic doesn't do temp testers, they are always invited to company events, and many times they are promoted from QA to higher positions in the dev team.

I think too many people read the wrong things into my post. What I was trying to say, is that I can take any one of the fellow artists on my team, and while we would probably be bored out of our minds, they could probably test the game (maybe a few couldnt). However it would be lucky if even a single tester could be placed in an artists chair and start producing work for the game.

I don't get upset that my Art Director gets paid more than I do, and that he is in a higher position, and gets invited to the more exclusive company functions, or gets sent to e3 or gdc before I do, it's because he his higher on the dev chain than myself. And that's why I don't understand why testers get bent out of shape when they don't get the money or the respect the artists/programmers/designers do.
  • Pseudo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pseudo polycounter lvl 18
    I dont think many entry level testers will complain about the pay. The work that entry level testers do is on par with something a monkey can do. A lot of companies (especially publishers) have this shit down to a matter of looking at a checklist and signing off that everything works. This isnt hard.

What gets difficult is when you get put in other positions like a project lead or (god help us) technical requirement testing. For those who havent had the wonderful experience of working on an Xbox game, Microsoft has a 150+ page document of things that the game is REQUIRED to do before MS gives the OK to print the discs and ship it. Sony and Nintendo also have these requirements, but Microsoft is by far the most strict.

Either way, its a fun job and it pays me enough to live in California, so until I land an art gig, I'm content with testing.
  • pogonip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pogonip polycounter lvl 18
    Daz , So if lets say I was a tester at EA and I was also working as an artist and wanted to get my portfolio scene and not go through the BS of sending to HR to be stacked in a pile of 1000's of portfolio's could'nt I just walk up to the AD and say " Hey man im a tester here but I also im an artist would you mind taking a look at my reel/portfolio/website ... ?? Im thinking that would work to some extent to at least have your portfolio scene first hand . I would imagine that many talented artists get looked over by HR because they do not meet the minimum expereince level and of course HR is looking at the technicalities of the resume . Anyways just my train of thought why do you say it does not work ??
  • TechSmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually the testing position status remind me of how support personal are treated here. We have faculty that treat us like ignorant peons but expect us to fix all thier problems that they created. Also the position that I'm working is almost the lowest paid nonfood service job on campus. Actually there are food handlers that make more. The3 funny thing is this isn't a job that you can do without training. You have to pass a grueling written test and and multiple interviews to be treated like crap. Maybe testing wouldn't be that bad after all. It actually pays about the same as I'm making right now, and I've been here for 5 years.
  • Slayerjerman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I actually got alot of gigs and higher pay because I am highly experienced and because I've done the MS/Nintendo/Sony requirement testing and know my shit.
    (MS -TCR, Nin -LotCheck, Sony -TRC)

When I left one of the agencies they were hard pressed to find another person that knew the Xbox TCRs as well as I did. Its almost a specialized area of expertise. Not just any hobo off the street can do that stuff and I was very fortunate to have been in a position where I was able to learn that stuff, which made me more valuable of an asset than some random content tester.

Its a matter of finding your niche. For example, when I started on DS2, I was just doing general testing and data collection, now I'm the primary multiplayer tester. I have good communication with the Network engineers and they appreciate my help.

The job's only as good as you make it for yourself.
    Techsmith, give it a whirl and see if it floats your boat smile.gif
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Well pogonip, you probably wouldn't know the AD if you worked in test here since Q/A is for the most part in a different building.
    All Im really saying is that when portfolios come in, our AD and myself and the team checking them out dont care where theyve come from. Allready having a job in a different position in the studio is just kind of irrelevant. I've had a few portfolios land in my lap from test, and they've never been any good. I'm not insinuating anything in saying that. Im just saying that's been the luck of the draw. If somebody really thinks they have what it takes and wants to get a kickass portfolio to us, theyre far better off pinging me on polycount than by any other means if they want their stuff seen!
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    So basically, working in QA at EA won't help an artist get a gig, but slipping Daz a fifty under the table might ;D
  • Malekyth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malekyth polycounter lvl 18
    Testers have hammered on weapon bugs for me and found things that I could've wasted hours or days looking for. Just for that, I'm willing to vouch for their worthiness for an even wage with developers.

Except Frank. He touches artists in an improper fashion. Nobody but Ror likes it, either. But he just KEEPS ... TOUCHING ..!!

Any time testers can spend finding my errors while I'm off making new errors for them to find is time and money well spent!
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    i like the bad touch.
  • TechSmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK today was the first day after spring break. Since I work at a universitry that means people were back and needed support. The insane customers today reinforced my thought that I need to get out of doing this. Today was one of those days that the other consultants and I were speaking plainly but our customers couldn't understand the simplest instructions. For instance when a customer logs on to create thier accounts for the first time. They put the word account in for username and the word account for the password. Most people today couldn't do this.

I talked to the GF and she says she would rather us be happy than hating our jobs. So I guess this means one day I might be able to touch Ror in that bad way too!
  • Slayerjerman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Use lube. I cant stress this enough.
  • TechSmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I thought that after everybody else was finished with him I wouldn't need any. Oh well, I like it noisy anyway. smile.gif