Home General Discussion

high speed internet pricing?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Asherr polycounter lvl 18
i was curious what the average cost for speed for broadband connections is since we might be getting broadband soon.

we currently have a 56kb connection for 20$ a month (i think). we could get 768K down, 128K up for 39.95$ a month. there isn't much choice for a high speed connection around here, so is this a decent speed for the money?

Replies

• Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    In the UK most of the providers are giving frre upgrades. I pay £19.99 (with curent exchange rates, thats about $40) a month, thats for 256up and 1MB down. They are upgrading to 2MB down over the next few months.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    I have Roadrunner with a speed less than 1 Mbps (argh), and have paid $44.95 a month for the past 3 years. My neighbor has the same service with an additional wireless connection and a free signal booster, and they're paying $39.95. Before then they had Bellsouth High Speed DSL, which was slower than dialup, for like $25.
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    here's our IPS's site: http://www.foothills.net/

checked Speakeasy: "This preliminary address check shows broadband service is not available in your location at this time."
    checked Earthlink: EarthLink High Speed Cable Internet (Not Available), EarthLink High Speed DSL Internet (Not Available)

poly109.gif

i'm thinking of buying 40miles worth of ethernet cord and running a line from the closest major university (Mashall, go thundering herd! wink.gif )to our house.... i think there are only three providers in this area. frown.gif
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hollowmind polycounter lvl 18
    I have SBC Yahoo DSL through my phone company and I pay $20 a month. Not sure what my up/down speeds are but when I play UT2004 I find plenty of servers with sub-100 ping. Lots of them are around the 45-70 ping range. Not sure what's good since I've only had DSL for a month now but that's a lot better than when I was on 56k, hehe. wink.gif
  • Frankie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frankie polycounter lvl 19
    hey rick, who are you with?
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    Earthlink DSL. No complaints $19.995 for the first 4 six months then bumps up to $50 a month. 1 year contract.

Scott
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have 3 mbits/down and 384 kbits/up road runner and theres a certain plan you can get if you get timewarner cable, or whatever they have in your area, to get the first six months for $29.99 but my dad didnt want to do that plan so I end up paying $39.99 for the internet and he pays for the cable. Its well worth it if you can get it, we also have a 11mbits wireless connection set up for the pc in the garage and our lap top, along with the two pcs in the house and it works flawlessly on all 4 systems.
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thermidor polycounter lvl 18
    BT just upgraded all there unlimited services to 2MB still 256 up tho ...

and this is to sweeten the sting of them limiting to 15GB per month download. funny really , but i am sure its to stop emule and alike.

256 up sucks for gaming tho.

I think we pay £24.99 for this
  • palm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    palm polycounter lvl 18
    10 mbit both ways for about 46usd. (todays curency).
    But I live in Sweden so no one gives a damn.=)

Cheers
    /Palm
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    I'm with BT, wires only service.
  • Slayerjerman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slayerjerman polycounter lvl 18
    I have 3mbit down and 384k up Comcast for $55/mo