Home General Discussion

Joust3D no more?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
just checked the site.. no explanation there. :/ what happened?

www.joust3d.com

ah well, there's always Eon

http://www.coronaleonis.com/eon/main.html

Replies

• HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    no....NOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!! well, shit. this sucks....i was looking foward to this....
  • Irritant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irritant polycounter lvl 18
    This saddens me. I was really looking forward to this.

Foxed, perhaps?
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    I got the email days ago. I kept track of the progress, and was hoping for a demo soon.

[ QUOTE ]
    Joust 3D - STOPPED

After discussing this step with Igrok our coder I feel that carrying on would
    only delay the inevitable.

I feel depressed that this is the scond project I am part of that didn´t work
    out. Why? Hard to say. One major problem defintely is the fact that today
    computer games are geting better and better- in all aspects. What is a lot of
    work for a professional development studio simply cannot been done by a handful
    of people working in their sparetime. Especially if it is limited. Realizing
    this is depressing and I sure hope there are execptions but I see less and less
    of those. Hobby developers cannot hope to meet the expectations in the same way
    studios do. Back in the 80ies every ambitious kid could cook up a game. Even the
    Super Marios of the early 90ies were easy to pull off. But making something that
    doesn´t feel and look inferior to Doom3 really is another sort of thing. With
    both quantity AND quality needed to create a 3d title it really needs tons of
    time.

Creating a custom engine is a huge amount of additional work that many studos
    try to avoid. Last but not least we also discovered problems concerning the
    transfer of the classic gameplay to the third dimension. What might appear
    simple at a frist glance turned out to be full of problems when you take a much
    closer look. We faced the alternatives of either having a game that differed
    completely from what gamers remeber or creating a game that is highly írritating
    and confusing. Just imagine you being chased by multiple enemies in a rather
    tiny map without seeing it all from a large distance. Utter chaos! And that was
    but the beginning of the problems internal tests revealed. The AI would have
    neded a lot of work too.

Well so much for problems. I just felt that I owed an explanation to all those
    people involved at some point. It really saddens me to write these words but I
    learned a lot of things these last years while working on the two projects that
    now have failed. I have acquired a number of friends and I have had a great time
    with moments of triumph when I saw that a person´s ideas can indeed be turned
    into reality. Creating game content is a form of art to me and I will keep
    dedicating some part of my future sparetime to it. To all those that helped me I
    feel really grateful and I hope that only a handful will think of this project
    as wasted time. Mentioning only some names is unfair but there are two people
    that I especially owe a lot. Hurricane who always helped out with astonishing
    art whenver I chose to have some stupid idea and Igrok who worked a miracle when
    he finally allowed me to see my static objects moving in a rich 3d environment.
    To all others who helped with ideas and work I say again thank you! My thanks
    also go to Bobo_the_Seal who actually is the one who had the idea and Android
    who donated some terrific artwork.

Since many of the people involved in Joust3D were also part of ChronosV or at
    least knew about it I feel happy to say that both projects together helped
    almost a dozen young artists to get a job as professional game developers at
    various well known companies (Epic just being one of them). The art submitted as
    part of their resume featured some of the best stuff created for these games.

I will keep the Joust3D homepage "online" for 2005 and will upload a gallery
    showing some of the very best work done for the game. Please check back in a day
    or two - I´m sure you´ll like what you see there.

Thanks for all your support.
    MrD

[/ QUOTE ]
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    why not make it in director?

web based games are fun and totally doable in a bedroom-coder ethic
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    That is really a pity, I thought the concept was actually doable as a hobby design team (which ChronosV wasn't).

But using a open source engine instead of programming your own would have been probably also a better idea.
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    Damn, that really is a shame. I was a huge Joust fan, and just seeing a 3D flying ostrich would have made my day...

Well guys, you made some amazing artwork, and it's defintiely something to be proud of.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    doesn´t feel and look inferior to Doom3 really is another sort of thing. With
    both quantity AND quality needed to create a 3d title it really needs tons of
    time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this person has mistaken looks over game play as the core. People weren't after a super normal/displaced/per pixel lighting set-up for something like this. They were after the rush and fun of playing something classic in 3d. It sounds like this project Director had an idea this was competiting with AAA titles. With that mindset. He already lost.

And yes,Im also confused (Shockwave 3d being one of them) why he didnt use a pre built engine? Well.. Maybe someone else will take up the Joust...
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    really is depressing...
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    unfortunate but unfortunately not surprising. by his own admission, his second failed project. why? too ambitious. yes, it's true that indie developers are having a hard time keeping up with professional development. which is exactly why they need to be taking a different approach. same reason why some countries have to fight using guerilla warfare tactics--they simply can't compete in terms of brute force.
    Joust 3D was built on a new engine, something that even 'real' game dev houses have a lot of trouble with. other aspects of the development were also too ambitious... the sad reality of it is that even the stuff that seems simple can end up being pretty complicated, so you need to hedge your bets whenever possible.

not that indie game devs have to 'think small'... they just have to emphasize the advantages they do have, rather than exacerbating all the ways they aren't a big dev house.

but as Mr. D writes, it's not a complete loss by any means. People cranked out some really great looking art assets for that project, and it seems to have helped people get jobs in the industry. none of that is a 'loss'. i just hope that other hobbyist developers and modders take some lessons from both Joust and ChronosV... if you're looking to actually get the game out, you've got to play up your strengths, not your weaknesses compared to big dev houses.