Home General Discussion

Physical conglomeration of da industry (California

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
I have heard it before that Southern Cali is the future for game companies in the US. As supposedly its begining to conglomerate down there "just like Hollywood" as they say.

Whether these people are smoking, or know something I do not. I have thought of one MAJOR benefit if such a move happened.

It would help create more of a bracket against outsourcing. Why outsource, when all talent is local or moving local from international? It works to some degree in Hollywood. Except for localized films (*cough LOTR *cough). However, even then the "power" and money and creativity flows from and to Hollywood.

So maybe this central nexus hub that they mention isn't so bad to help weather the storm. Sure, sure we will all become shallow dog eat dogs closer to teens than adults in this setting**. But at least we will survive without going back to flipping burgers, or raising our hands to other flags.

(Apologies to all Canadian, UK, and Aus peoples. Im just reflecting what at least these people WANT to believe.)

**EDIT: More than it already is. wink.gif

Replies

• Paul Jaquays
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Jaquays polycounter lvl 18
    One of the things to remember is that the movie industry is looking at the game industry with jealous eyes. They're trying to figure out our secret to success. Usually, when Hollywood tries to do games, they fail. They understand passive entertainment. They still don't "get" interactive entertainment (games).

I know I wouldn't be in a hurry to be in the game industry if I had to move to SoCal to ply my trade. But then, I'm an older conservative guy who has actually worked in his career to stay OUT of California. (I still harbor a lot of resentment against the State of California and their "franchise tax" on freelancers who work for California companies).

Anyway, diversity of studio locations can lead to a good diversity of types of games, allow indies (and established companies) to work in lower priced areas, make it easier for new talent to get into the industry (how many game companies got their start by just a couple local guys starting a new company), and allow for more diverse views about game content and production.

Furthermore, it can keep a jaundiced mindset from pervading the game industry, like the one in Hollywood that imagines itself to be the arbiter of American values, when in reality, they don't have clue one about what Americans actually value.

Promote your LOCAL development community. Promote real diversity.
  • ElysiumGX
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    California is the last place I'd want to relocate to. Give me low cost living, clean air, and real boobs anyday. My town is home to Screen Gems, and has been the preferred shooting location for many major films because of lower cost of production. But I haven't found many game or CG shops in my area so far. It's a shame. I enjoy living on the coast. Maybe I should start one here in the future. :P
  • oXYnary
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

Anyway, diversity of studio locations can lead to a good diversity of types of games, allow indies (and established companies) to work in lower priced areas, make it easier for new talent to get into the industry (how many game companies got their start by just a couple local guys starting a new company), and allow for more diverse views about game content and production.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't disagree with the above. However with the economic conglomeration, and the outsourcing happening. Being "divided" does not help.

(And yes, I don't like So-Cal that much either).
  • Rick Stirling
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Paul - 100% respect to your point. You put it much more elequantly than I tried more than once today.

Diversity is built on other diversity. Geographical is one of the many aspects. With everyone based in one place, you lose the cultural and geographical diversity. Sticking everyone together to share ideas and tolls and pipelines and mindsets removes some innovation.