Home General Discussion

AMD Cool&Quiet Issues?

KDR_11k
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
After installing my new Athlon64 939 Winchester I noticed something odd: When Cool&Quiet (underclocks the CPU when the load is low to save power and heat) is enabled, Beyond Good & Evil runs at fast forward (was about four times as fast). That's probably because it's measuring the clock rate at the startup and then sets its internal counter appropriately while moments later the CPU realizes it'll need full power from now on and goes to full clock speed.

Does that happen with other games as well? Or is that just Ubi's bad console porting?

Replies

• pyromania
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pyromania polycounter lvl 18
    You should try disabling Cool&Quiet in the BIOS and see if that fixes it. I just leave Cool&Quiet disabled because I like having all my CPU usage available at any time.

If you are running windows XP, try running it in compatability mode. If you right click, on the shortcut or .exe then go to Properties, there will be a Compatability tab. Set it up to run as windows 95 or 98 then see if that helps.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    I disabled it and that fixed the issue, that's why I know it's C&Q's fault. Didn't notice any differences otherwise, AFAIK it can adjust the clock speed up to 30 times per second, that's quick enough to give you your max power almost instantly.
  • Nebuul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nebuul polycounter lvl 18
    What's really funny to me is that if you use World of Warcraft and Cool'n'Quiet together, WoW detects a new system config every time you start it and asks you if you want to reconfigure your graphics.