Home› General Discussion

Constantine

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
JKim3 polycounter lvl 18
Well, just got back from watching the movie and I was suprised in how much I liked it. I really wish they didn't cast Keanu for it, but whatever. I loved the androgynous casting they did, though. Realy nice touch. Also, I heard about Gavin Rosdale and I was kind of dreading him, but I liked how he turned out. The Perfect Circle song is pretty good, too.

I never really read much of the comic, but I do love all the backstory and such and such about demons and hell and angels and stuff.

Anyways. Anyone else with any thoughts?

Replies

• RageUnleashed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RageUnleashed polycounter lvl 18
    Keanu only fills one role well, the Bill & Ted movies.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    This movie appeared in SCI's line up of games in 2004 on the PS2, and from what I've seen theres some really great modelling being done. I'm not sure of the games status now or how well its going to play (if its been canned or not) but I do hope it comes out.
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    It was good, though I have to agree with Rage on the subject of Mr. Reeves.

I was uncertain about seeing that Shia LaBeouf kid in the movie, because, like most teenage actors, is annoying as hell. This movie wasn't an exception either, but I was okay with him by the end for obvious reasons (those who have seen the movie will get why too).
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    i thought he played the part well and the movie was beyond my expectations. i liked all of the hell stuff.
  • kleinluka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kleinluka polycounter lvl 18
    I don't know why everyone is complaining about Keanu Reeves. I thought he played the role perfectly. The movie was awesome too... Very psycho at some times but cool. And the Angel/Demon story was really interesting.. 5 stars
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    haven't seen it yet but I saw a behind the scenes show....
    Just to let all Hellblazer fans know they've changed Chas into an annoying teenager, yup, John's oldest and most loyal friend. Dammit, they could of just made the kid into a new character instead of making him Chas. My only hope is that the kid and the female cop both horribly in the end to keep with the spirit of the comics.
  • JKim3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKim3 polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, killing, I liked the Hell stuff, too. I thought that it was a ruined version of our world, with a dusty, stinging wind (well, looked like it was, even though the people didn't react to it at all) was really cool.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    I liked it, the movie was better than i had been expecting it to be. When they showed hell, the diffrent layers of it, that made me very happy. Very nice look and feel to the movie. Yes the kid was an annoying fuck but you wont mind it once its over.
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    I just saw it earlier today, and I LIKED IT BETTER THE FIRST TIME WHEN IT WAS CALLED "THE PROPHECY." Okay, it wasn't too bad, and it wasn't really like The Prophecy save for some of the Catholicism stuff. I didn't really appreciate the Chevy Equinox advert, though.

[edit] Oh yeah, I forgot this is a comic book movie. I'd say that it's probably the best comic book movie I've seen, but I can't say how well it lives up to the comic; I'm not a comic book guy.

*MINOR SPOILER ALERT*

Also, I thought the whole "our main character is cool because he smokes but we're going to be responsible and show you the consequences by giving him lung cancer" seemed a bit contrived and corny (especially the part in hell where it zooms in on the Surgeon General's warning). I'm not a smoker, but that whole lung cancer thing seemed tacked-on... at least they did a decent job of tying it into the story.
  • JKim3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKim3 polycounter lvl 18
    ***POSSIBLE SPOILER for hardcore fanboys, I guess
    He's an actual chain smoker in the comic. Although I didn't read enough to know if the very end is faithful to the comic.
  • kleinluka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kleinluka polycounter lvl 18
    I just want to add the line of the day from last night at the movie theatre... JKim3 and I were sitting in our seats, and I had this bag of popcorn which I held in between my knees.

JKim3: "Hey Dan, can I put my hand inbetween your knees and grab something to eat?"

Me: "Sure, go ahead"

.....silence.....

LAUGHTER.

Ok it's pretty lame but it was very funny in that particular moment.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    JKim: yep, issue #41.
  • ndcv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ndcv polycounter lvl 18
    I liked the movie a lot more than I thought I would. Keanu was okay (he stayed out of the way of the people who could act) and I found it pretty engaging.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Was ok but could have been better if they

1. Developed key plot points in the story

2. anyone but keanu

3.Racheal Weiz Nuidty
  • JKim3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKim3 polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    3.Racheal Weiz Nuidty

[/ QUOTE ]

Second
  • sal_manilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sal_manilla polycounter lvl 18
    Constantine was a good as I had hoped. Keanu was great for the part. The effects and story developement were great. I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys the genre. 023.gif
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    I liked it, although I saw it with my nocturnal girlfriend and was falling asleep. Part where he flicks the devil the finger was awesome.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah not a bad film. There were a lot of areas where it could have been better defined (some vague suggestion as to how Loginus' Lance wound up where it was found would be a good start), but it was still an enjoyable bit of Hollywood fair.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    I enjoyed it. I probably would have enjoyed it more if Matrix 2 & 3, never existed. But, I think Keanu did very well. The guy tries so hard to leave his "Ted" days behind.

I loved how Hell was visualized. Probably the best Hell I've seen in a film. I loved how Lucifer was portrayed. Perfect! I loved Rachel Weisz's wet T-shirt scenes. I was surprised by Gavin's excellent performance.

Buying the DVD asap!
  • sal_manilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd like to own the DVD, too. I'm still having trouble with all you pudknockers not being able to get past Bill & Ted. Keanu has done many fine pieces since then and I have had no problem enjoying his newer work. I liked all 3 Matrixes b'cept for the stoopit orgy scene in #2. You fellas need to get your objectivity on so you can enjoy these flcks, K? Whoa!! wink2.giflaugh.gif
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, but has anyone who actually reads the comic seen it?

John Constantine is supposed to be a wise cracking, chain smoking, barroom brawling british chap who just happens to be able to be able to whip demon butt too. Cocky. Hard drinking. Smart ass. This just doesn't sound like Keanu to me, so what the heck was the character like in the film? I'm guessing Keanu's standard blank slate character that people mistakenly read depth into. Am I wrong?
  • sal_manilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorta...he's not brittish...he is a wise ass and smokes a bunch....he could have had more debth but.....if you have a chip on your shoulder about Keanu it'll spoil the film but I still say go see it. smirk.gifgrin.gif
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I don't have a chip on my shoulder about Keanu. Fact is, he's not a good actor. smile.gif
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    Sal: What you call a chip on a shoulder, we call a hole in your brain!! It's the same sense of good taste that warns me to ignore Keanu as warns me not to watch another wooden Steven Seagal performance or expect dynamic acting from old chuck norris flicks or good dubbing in 70's kung fu flicks.

Frankly, the need to refer to anyones dislike of Keanu being due only to a chip on the shoulder sounds like you have an aversion to reality or... hey are you part of some weird internet Keanu motivation kickback scheme or something? smile.gif

Btw, I have not seen the film. Mostly because I have read the comic and the character since he first appeared in Swamp Thing and it's my understanding that he epitomised the fear and horror of the 80's in britian under the rule of Thatcher and every writer that has written him has always used him as a soap box to speak out against the system and government in britian.

So the prospect of watching america misunderstand another british story like they did with the League of extraordinary gentlemen was something I considered likely. When I heard Keanu would play him and that he would be based in the US and then I watched the trailer of him with a pump action golden cross, that was enough for me to decide not to support it by giving 'it' money, my money!

I've been reading the thread just in case it turned out ok, afterall, I have similar feelings about Ben Affleck and still took the gamble and paid to see Daredevil and enjoyed it though that was an American story.
    I personally just don't think Americans can do stories that are British and have the heart of the story remain British and thats why I generally avoid films like this.

I still haven't read any glowingingly positive Brit writeup about it that has read the comic so I'm avoiding it.

hmm... did I just explain a bunch of shit again that noone was interested in hearing? Nah, not me!

Oh and btw, I'm not one of those people that can't stand it when a story goes from book or comic to cinema, I loved Trainspotting and read the book, I loved Daredevil and Spiderman and Xmen.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keanu has three more movies in production in which two of them he plays a cop, and the third is with Sandra Bullock.

Perhaps he could be a better actor if given the chance to play better roles. I liked Devil's Advocate. Calling Keanu a terrible actor is unfair to the hundreds and hundreds of other terrible actors in Hollywood.

I think this one will be interesting to watch.
    http://movies.yahoo.com/movies/feature/ascannerdarkly.html
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elysium: start a thread about awful actors and I will help you render justice to them all wink.gif
  • JKim3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKim3 polycounter lvl 18
    Keanu has has plenty of opportunities to show off his acting in different roles. He just sucks at anything where he has to show emotion.

There was A Walk in the Clouds, which sucked. Also one with Charlize Theron, I think, where she was a dying chick or something (not Devil's Advocate).
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Keanu has three more movies in production in which two of them he plays a cop, and the third is with Sandra Bullock.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well then, if the crime movies are going to be believable, the criminals had better win, because there is no way that Keanu would be able to outsmart them, or even be able to act like he's able to outwit them.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    I like Keanu Reaves as an actor. I think I have enjoyed every role I have seen him play.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    the criminals had better win, because there is no way that Keanu would be able to outsmart them

[/ QUOTE ]

he is also the criminal

every actor has his trademark style. while I agree he isn't an award winning actor yet, i do enjoy his characters. they're calm, collected, and laid back. and after reading articles about the kind of person he is in real life, i can't help but like the guy.
  • sal_manilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As for the chip (a metaphor)....I'm only referring that if you don't like Keanu you may not enjoy the movie.

Ror: We seem to have a problem here. If you can't write your views without insulting me than don't bother. Comments like "hole in my brain" "aversion to reality " and reference to bad taste are offensive and unnecessary. Please restrain yourself.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Man, some times it sure sucks to be an American. I went into the theater to see Constantine and I got was jes' one o' them durned ol' movies 'bout them funny books - comics, I think y'all call 'em. If I only I had been born an enlightened British literati, I could appreciate nuance and symbolism and clever political reference and other thingies of that sort. I guess I'll distract myself from this shared national shortcoming as all Americans do, by sucking down cheap beer and watching my 1997 National Tractor Pull Championship DVD. Yee haw!!

On a slightly different note, I think a lot of Keanu's problem (such as it is) stems from the roles he's most popularly associated with. Starting out with Ted 'Theodore' Logan didn't help, he spent time pretending to be a surfer dude in Point Break, and Neo was a largely clueless character through the Matrix. On the other hand, I don't read people giving him too much grief over Devil's Advocate or My Own Private Idaho, but I'm guessing far fewer people saw them.

I'm not particularly a Keanu fan, but I do feel compelled to point out that in two unrelated movies he's played a former Ohio State football quarterback. That gets him a few bonus points in my book ;D
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Remember this part of my comment ' or... hey are you part of some weird internet Keanu motivation kickback scheme or something? smile.gif ' ?

That was meant to make it clear I was being glib; no need for you to get all defensive, I wasn't really attacking you, I was making fun of Keanu, Mop didnt need to get all defensive because you suggested an opinion counter to his with more strength than he so why should you get offended when i do the same?

Verm: Jeez, get sensitive or what?

I love how in general anytime someone points out the difference in tastes between brits and yanks , yanks get all bent out of shape. I mean I do not love it and I find it tiresome.

Malekyth pointed out to me a while ago that Chomsky once said that America is the only country to have come up with a term like 'Anti American' whereas if the term Anti Italian came up in Italy it would be treated as ridiculous.

The constant overly defensive attitudes I keep running into here make this notion seem genuine to me.

It really is impossible to say any other culture does something better than america without americans, in general, getting bent out of shape.

I was trying only to say that America always fucks up British stories because they make it American. By the same turn I haven't seem many other cultures manage to do the typical optimistic american actioneer story without screwing it up because they can't take it seriously.

But I have to spell this out each time right? Because I can't just point out a fault with America without digressing to the Point of view that others have faults too...

• Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    damn! I've never been called an enlightened British literati! Gimme some of the love! ;-p
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dukester polycounter lvl 18
    Daz, you enightened British literati!
    There now you have smile.gif

Regardless of the Brit Yank thing I think most movies adapt comics poorly (who doesn't?) Until X-men and Spiderman came along I had no hope of it ever happening. (As of now I have stupidly high hopes for that Batman movie)

I enjoyed the "Gentleman" movie, but I had never, ever read or even knew it was a comic, much less an A.M. comic. That has to have a lot to do with it!

People need to notice the smile.gif and the laugh.gif in the sentence, they are there for a reason smile.gif

Now if they make an "American Flagg" or a "Nexus" movie, I will be the harshest critic smile.gif
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Heh Dukester, I also have stupidly high hopes for the Batman movie... I hope they don't get dashed!
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dukester polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Heh Dukester, I also have stupidly high hopes for the Batman movie... I hope they don't get dashed!

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too!

The trailer looks good and serious enough to keep my fingers crossed!
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    Ror: you make it out like Americans vote to take British stories and make crap movies out of them, like we as a nation are responsible smile.gif while i can understand the versus mentality, i think the failure to adapt great British material such as League of Extraordinary Gentlemen or Hellblazer has very little to do with nationality at all and everything to do with the particular kind of bottomfeeders who take good stories of all kinds and dilute them for the lowest common denominator. they happen to be American. but the enemies of quality storytelling transcend national bounds!

i think out of the best current American writers, directors, producers, there is more than ample talent and sensitivity to properly produce a 'British story' like Hellblazer. needless to say i don't think they were the ones that were actually involved in the film. laugh.gif

American movie producers don't have a monopoly on making bad films... but then Jerry Bruckheimer still has a few years of producing left in him smile.gif

i haven't read Hellblazer but i wouldn't mind taking a crack. it's interesting to hear about how current events tend to creep their way into comics, such as how our good friend Thatcher also provided ample 'inspiration' for Moore's V for Vendetta.
  • usagi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    usagi polycounter lvl 18
    so am i the only person who thought the movie stunk? and i usually like keannu reeves

dont worry ror, im interested grin.gif. especially the anti-american thing. anything can sound like its evil if its branded anti american or liberal for that matter. haha, i love how we have a liberal party up here

also, if constantine was a bar brawling brit in the movie more people proabbly would have gone to see it. its movie producers who assume that people want everything americanised. but then again from this thread it seems that they were right
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gauss: Heh, the mental image of the country voting on whether to rape british stories or not is pretty funny!

What can I say, considering that Disney has been doing nothing but lifting european stories for the last couple of decades or so and that this trend has been continued in cinema in America outside of Disney for the last decade, its hard not to imagine America as a place barren of ideas.

I understand all too painfully about the risk aversion atmosphere of big business, afterall, I work in it and have for a while.
    Being a fan of cinema however has informed me of many more movies where America lifts other cultures movies and produces an inferior version of them, than instances where other cultures are lifting american films and doing likewise.

Also, the amount of times I have seen movies where American directors can capably create a non american story , set in a non american place is very rare. Off the top of the head the only one that comes to mind right now is Gosford park which was absolutly fucking brilliant and shockingly good all the more so because of how rare an occurance that is.

On the other side of the extreme though, when it comes to foreign directors making quality films to as high, and sometimes a higher degree of quality than american directors, I can think of more examples.

Such as Once upon a time in America, Once upon a time in the west, Chinatown, American Beauty.

Sure, sure, the studios make directors do the 'bad thing' and theres a gigantic amount of 'native talent' , but thats not my problem, my problem is that I dislike seeing quality stories, that are rich because of their different cultural qualities, constantly homogenized in the same standard american hollywood, yahoo flavour.

I love The Coen brothers, the are probably my favourite directors on the planet right now as they have amazed and amused me as long as I can remember, I adore Wes Anderson's films, his constantly quirky search for the self, problems of being clever films always surprise and impress me.

I'm trying to explain that my viewpoint is not borne out of simpleminded anti american generalizing, far from it. I love many many american films and I always buy them and put money in the hands of those directors I wish to see more from rather than merely renting or downloading warez copies.

My main love in cinema is the ability for it to convey a different flavour of life , to tell more than 1 story and when the trend of american studios ( is it fairer in your mind for me to blame the studios? I'm trying real hard to make what i consider a serious point here without triggering that 'oh you just think you are superior and are anti american response)
    when remaking other cultures films is to just make whatever it is , into the same old story im sick of, well I have to have a bit of a rant about that because I hate that.

As a result of my dislike of the trend, i keep searching further and further back for films. At the moment I'm watching the James Cagney series of gangster films like Public Enemy, White Heat and so on and they;re brilliant as they show a much richer and interesting side of america than current films do.

See, I'm appreciating american cinema again! smile.gif
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Verm: Jeez, get sensitive or what?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not at all, mate - I was just being glib wink.gif

I think gauss pretty much makes the point I would have. America makes more movies than any other country and gets much wider distribution, so it stands to reason that there's more crap being spread about as well. Loads of British movies might be complete shit, but I'll never know because no one is showing them over here.

Really, I don't think there's any need to cite any culture as adapting another culture's art/literature/whatever well or poorly. Good movies are good, bad movies are bad. I mean, as comic book adaptations go, last year's Catwoman makes Constantine look like a goddamn Oscar winner. Catwoman is an American property rather than British, but that didn't keep it from being five reels of complete ass.

Personally, I'm a big fan of authenticity, regardless of which nation-states happen to be involved in the project. Given my choice, I'd rather John Constantine had been played by a Briton. He's frankly more interesting that way. Similarly, I don't want to see Natalie Portman playing Evey in V For Vendetta if I could get Keira Knightley. But I can't see pinning the 'Americanization' of the Constantine character on the nation in general - it's the fault of Hollywood suits. You know, the same guys who thought Catwoman was a good idea. They have no idea what the fuck people want to see, which is why so much film is unwatchable detritus. America, in my experience, has no problem with 'accurately' adapted foreign material. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon was quite popular here. Heck, the Lord of the Rings saga was a fairly faithful adaptation of an English author, developed by non-Americans in New Zealand. It's safe to say Americans liked those films alright.

The United States has about 300 million citizens running about inside her borders; I think it's a bit off the mark to think Hollywood and the adulterated or uninspired films it offers somehow speaks for them.
  • sal_manilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, I'm liking this intellectual stimulus all stemming from our favorite actor, Keanu, ooh yeah and Constantine.

Ror: so that's glib is it? Jeez, even your apologies are annoying. I guess I'm starting to like you. smile.gif I suppose I can get use to glib though it seems more like brash to me. Glib doesn't come off as well in writing even with a smiley face at the end. So WTF, let me offer you this, ya blouse wearing Poodle walker, IM me your mailing address down there and I'll snail mail you ten bucks to send your condescending, elitist euro-ass to the theatre to see Constantine. When you come back we can argue some more....waddyathink? grin.gif

Grindy, Mop, Vermillion, Duke...you guys are great....this post keeps getting better. cool.gif
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    i will say once again that i am very, very, very, very thankful that J.K. Rowling put her foot down and told Steven Spielberg that no he couldn't cast Haley Joel Osment as Harry Potter causing Spielberg to leave.

though JKR is much more involved with the Harry Potter movies than other authors. where was Garth Ennis to say "No you cannot cast Keanu Reeves as Constatine. There are plenty of good British actors to play the part."
    i know Allan Moore didn't care what they did to the League of Extrodinary Gentlemen movie as he considered it completely seperate from his comics. so then you get Tom Sawyer because the studio didn't think Americans could relate to a movie that didn't have any Americans in it.

[ QUOTE ]
    Originally, Tarsem Singh was attached to direct with Nicolas Cage to star. However, the director said that "With Cage, I can not make the film I had wanted to". Soon after Singh left the picture, Cage did as well.

[/ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    According to the director at the 2004 Wizard World Convention in Chicago, the decision to make John Constantine an American was made because Keanu Reeves was cast in the part and it was felt he couldn't play a convincing Brit.

[/ QUOTE ]
    from imdb.com
    so it could have been worse wink.gif

though the Brits have struck a blow back at Americanization since Bruce Wayne has been made British for the new Batman movie. Constatine from Brit to American... Batman from American to Brit... the British have won this round. smile.gif
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Keanu Reeves was cast in the part and it was felt he couldn't play a convincing Brit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now, I wish they had figured that out before they asked him to play one in Bram Stoker's Dracula... smile.gif
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sal: I'd just spend it on quality scots whisky rather than waste it on trite yank films heh

Verm: I'll just agree to disagree with you.

Mop: Or even before this when he played a role in Dangerous Liasons, or Much ado about nothing...