Home General Discussion

For the attention of Rorshach and Dukester...

MoP
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
MoP polycounter lvl 18
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4298619.stm

What I want to know is, why is this whisky going to Hong Kong?!
What if a Scottish person wants to buy it?

Replies

• Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dukester polycounter lvl 18
    You are making me want Scotch and I have none so I guess its time for a Saturday morning trip to the liquor store tomorrow. smile.gif

"The bottle is the last of six which have been flown over to the airport. They have been bought by Sky Connection, which operates the duty free shop in the airport.

Baker Salleh, chief executive of Sky Connection, said: "We are committed to having the world's best at our duty free shops and we are indeed honoured that William Grant & Sons agreed to part with their rarest and finest whisky so we can showcase it to international travellers at Hong Kong international airport. "

I'm guessing that since Sky Connection bought'em they want to sell them in their stores.

Mop, you can go in with me and Ror. We'll buy a bottle and split it three ways. Deferr the cost you see laugh.gif
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    Its going to Hong Kong most likely for the same reason I left Scotland... theres more chance of money elsewhere.

It makes me sad.

Both Glenfiddich and Balvenie are very nice.
    If you ever get the chance, you should sample some of the 21 yr Port Wood Balvenie; smooth as a baby's bum.
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    If you ever get the chance, you should sample some of the 21 yr Port Wood Balvenie; smooth as a baby's bum.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the tip. I've been thinking about this recently. Usually whenever I buy whisky or bourbon I'll drink it until its gone, so my plan is gonna be something like this:

When I go for my bi-weekly bottle I want to also start picking up a finer selection for drinking only on occasion. The cheap stuff would be consumed on schedule and every time I went for another, I'll get a bottle of the good stuff. I'd like to have a selection of decent single malts both islay and speyside to go along with some of the better bourbons I like that are to expensive to drink regularly.

I'll use the J&B and Old Crow for regular stress reducing and have the other stuff on hand for friends smile.gif

Also as far as single malts go I have kinda gotten hooked on Islays. So much so that I continue to buy them and still have never bought a Speyside or Highland. I know I have probably asked you this before, but if you see this tonight can you give me a few other suggestions for those? It would be mucho appreciated since I'm gonna buy some tomorrow morning smile.gif

Oh yeah, interesting tidbit that i know of. I took a vacation to Kentucky back in 1992 (To visit and tour the Bourbon distilleries, of course smile.gif ) While I was touring "Makers Mark" I learned that because of some Cooper's Union or something, all the charred oak barrels could only be used once for aging bourbon. Some of the distilleries like Jim beam, sold them to tourists (Like me) Makers Mark shipped theirs to a distillery in Scotland to be used for aging Scotch. I wish now I had asked which Scotch frown.gif
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll take a look tomorrow night Duke and give you a list with descriptions, regions and recommendations.

Your plan is how I try to go about things also, periodically you just run out of the good stuff and don't have the money to replace it for a while but it's worth ordering from certain shops in NY or SF where its cheaper and there are larger selections. Periodically, this is what I do.
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    I'll take a look tomorrow night Duke and give you a list with descriptions, regions and recommendations.

[/ QUOTE ]

I look forward to it, thanks smile.gif
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay I'm back from the only local liqour store around this far from Dallas.
    I bought...

The Glenlivet 12 year old
    and
    Glenfiddich 15 year old Solera Reserve

I do know there are stores in Dallas with a much larger and better selection, but this is just me getting my feet wet smile.gif

I'm still open for more suggestions, plus maybe some links to those dealers in NY and SF.
    This browsing the single malts also got me curious about Irish Whiskey ooo.gif
  • Frankie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frankie polycounter lvl 19
    Hey ror what was it that we drank?
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://www.awa.dk/whisky/wshops/usa.htm

http://www.parkaveliquor.com/parkave/html/home.asp

http://www.samswine.com/spirits/search_s...amp;gospir.y=10

http://www.whiskyshopusa.com/cgi-bin/whiskyshopusa.storefront

Check out the above links Duke. I've been using Park Ave, they are reasonably priced and have a fast high quality postage service though often you dont get the cask, just the bottle, so they can ensure no damage.

Frankie : We probably drank 15yrDalwhinnie and 17yrGlengoyne as those were my 2 most common choices whilst in Woking as the local supermarket carried them and there were no decent whisky stores nearby.

Glengoyne is still one of my favourite's, its the world's only unpeated whisky and is silky smooth, chocolate and treacle and nuts and hurm.... unavailable anywhere in NC though frown.gif

Duke: As far as Islay malts go you ought to check out the Bowmore's, they are , as far as I'm concerned, a man's whisky in that they don't tickle your fancy before they kick it.

Whisky is all about after taste anyway right? Bowmore keeps on giving, its sort of like pure whisky in that regard and there are a wide selection of them , all of which are worth a try.

If you can ever get a hold of it, check out the 1984 cask strength bottling of Bowmore, its liquid dynamite.

As I mentioned the Glengoyne label is something special, its a highland malt, in fact it may be either one of, or THE, most northernly distillery. The 17yr is lush and rich and smooth, the 21yr, though pricey is another step beyond and the 30yr, well i have not had the pleasure yet.

On the lowland side of things, its worth keeping and eye out for the bubbly sweet SpringBank and Dalwhinnie. The SpringBank distillery had been closed down for years and relaunched about 3 years ago with their new malts and they were soooo sweet that newcomers to whisky could become quickly addicted.

The Balvenies are nice, also very affordable, THE Glenlivet are great and also one of the oldest around, I think they may have been one of the first to sell it legally and then they were immitated by many and won the right, in court to name themselves 'THE Glenlivet' so people would always know who the originals are.

You will love the Solera Reserve Glenfiddich, its one of their best; Glenfiddich seem to be prety popular in the states as far as I've seen.

In general, its always worth buying any whisky label that has been matured fully, or partly in Port or Sherry Wood casks as it adds a sweet full bodied undercoating and aftertaste to the whisky.

I could just go on and on here because I like lots of whiskies, I don't really stick to one region though I think the Highland's are my favourite, something about the peat or the water up there I guess.

The no.1 for me is the 25 yr Hart brothers that is distilled at the Highland park Distillery. The Hard brothers are an indepedant company that places a few casks or distill in others casks at locations all round scotland and this particular bottle is no.1 as far as I am concerned.

Oddly enough I find highland park's bottles pretty bland. The label is highly respected and well commented upon by most whisky guides so I can only disgress to the position that my taste buds are very different from the guys that write these books!

I expect you will find the same so always feel free to experiment and ignore others advice, including mine.

The best thing I have tasted so far is a 35year Highland Park that my wife bought me for out 5th wedding anniversary.
    It's so nice in fact that I'm scared to drink it more than once or twice a year but its amazing to me how good a whisky can become over time.

The problem is , for regular people like ourselves, once you get past the 30-35yr mark, it becomes a rich man's game of ownership for the collectibility of the bottle and the price jumps up by an extra 500-1000 dollars so I doubt I will ever own anything older than a 35yr frown.gif

Anyway, have fune, let me know what you think of the Solera, I'm on THE Glenlivet atm myself though I was lucky to have a 21yr Glengoyne and 21 yr Port Wood Balvenie togeth as my 'good bottles' over the festive season smile.gif
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just remembered to recommend the Ardberg and Laphroaig, i reckon you might like those ones.
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, your whole post has been copied and saved smile.gif

I am intimately aquainted with "Laphroaig" I've developed a real taste for it, but a lot of people I know don't like it. Too earthy or peaty I guess, oh well more for me smile.gif

I'm gonna do a little taste testing tonight so I'll give you my impressions tomorrow.

Thanks for the links too! Now if I can only find me one of those globe bars smile.gif
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aye , most people don't like Laphroaig because its too peaty and has too much kick, thats why I am now positive that you will love Bowmore wink.gif
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I went this morning specifically to buy speyside, but I took a long look at a $70.00 bottle of Bowmore that also said it was Unchillfiltered. So you can say that my curiosity has been piqued smile.gif
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heh, I've infected another one smile.gif

I've put about 10 people at Epic on to singlemalt's now too, I'm just doing my bit for Scotland. It's hopeless here in NC for whisky though, the sin tax, the backward attitude to 'hard liquor' and the general impossibility to find singlemalts at bars is depressing so I'm always happy to put someone on to good malts.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    Haha - what are you doing, Ror? Subverting a blue-blooded American like Dukester... And, you, Duke! You should be ashamed, trading in your bourbon for imports! I'll note, of course, that much of my family is from Kentucky and I still just live right across the river, so I have a sacred duty to defend the good name of sourmash whiskey, wherever necessary.

Well, okay, I might take a taste of these outlandish foreign labels from time to time. Chocolate and treacle sounds interesting wink.gif
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LOL Verm! I hope you noticed in one of my earlier posts that I vacationed to Kentucky just to visit the distilleries! Sour Mash flows through my veins smile.gif

Still, one of my golfing buddies slowly got me hooked on Scotch over the last 5 years or so. After a Sunday morning round we have lunch in the club house and then have a couple of double Dewar's and soda. Add to that Ror and his going on about single-malts for about the last 5 years also I took the plunge two years ago into Islays. I do like my whisky and my whiskey smile.gif

I am drinking the Solera Reserve as I type this and I'm really enjoying it. It is very smooth much like a blend. Very good! A first time Scotch drinker trying something like Laphroaig would probably have no more part of it, but this is very smooth and it really smells good in the glass.
    I might just finish this bottle in the next week or so even though that was not part of the plan tongue.gif

Come on Verm, just one little taste (heh heh) it won't hurt you >:)
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Duke: Aye... 'plans' go right out the window if you have enough money to break them. I should scan a picture of what my whisky collection used to be like when I liked in Scotland still. I used to spoil myself back then, because I could afford to and these days I can't so I stick to my plans a lot easier now wink.gif
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scan the pic!

To guard against breakage of THE PLAN I also purchased a half gallon of one of their very fine 36 month old blends laugh.gif
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    Dad and I drink Glenmorangie Single malt Scotch Whisky when I visit him.

I haven't really had my share of whisky. I think they are 12 or 15 year bottles.

Dad's a big fan of fine liquors and spirits. I haven't had much besides Jack and the Glenmorangie. I don't really enjoy alcohol unless I'm drinking with Dad or friends who are like family.

-R
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks PaK, I'll add the Glenmorangie to my list smile.gif
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Glenmorangie... transport yourself to the glen of tranquility wink.gif Get the Port Wood one Duke, its lush; as I said, theres just so many.
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We will be having a tasting of a little bit of The Glenlivet and a little bit of Chivas tomorrow after work. Anyone who wants to have free samples fly into Rockwall Texas and give me a ring laugh.gif
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    just added the Port Wood Glenmorangie 12 yr.
    the plan is still on track smile.gif
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    I have a bottle of 12-year Glenfiddich in my kitchen I will give to anyone who wants it. =P Was not a fan of this one at all.

Now, on the flip side of that, I had a REALLY good Glenlivet on New Year's Eve. Forget the exact specifications on it, but man was it smooth.
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Glenmorangie... transport yourself to the glen of tranquility wink.gif Get the Port Wood one Duke, its lush; as I said, theres just so many.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm...Well the plan is still in effect, but I have killed the Glenlivet and the Glenfiddich is almost gone. The Port Wood Glenmorangie 12 yr is what I'm sippin' on tonight and I have got to say "YEAH" They are all smooth but this one has really made an impression on me! Thanks Pak and Ror!

I was at a little gathering a week or so ago to watch March Madness and an older fella I know {who is a bank president smile.gif ) got into the scotch discussion. He is totally into the single malts and he was encouraging me to try the Balvenies, so I guess thats my next move smile.gif
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kub: ooh, me, me!
    I really like Glenfiddich, and the 12 y/o is a pretty smooth one
  • frosty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frosty polycounter lvl 18
    I am not usually a big fan of these drinking threads. But I finally recently discovered the only drink that could drive me to be an alcoholic. It is hot cinnamin snapps! It is so unreal and good, I just adore it and limit myself to some tiny shooters now n then. smile.gif