Home General Discussion

Is PC gaming dying?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
sonic polycounter lvl 18
Today, while I was playing WoW, I realised that this and HL2 are the only games I've anticipated for the comp for about 6 months, while I have tons more I'm anticipating for every console. Every new PC game seems to be a piece of shit built off an older series, or just an uncreative piece of crap. Plus, using my GF4TI back in the day I could run anything, and now I have to buy a 9800pro to run a lot of the games well now, and when Unreal 3 comes out I'll have to shell out $400 dollars for ANOTHER graphics card? Once the XBOX2 and PS3 come out, they will be able to surpass the computer in graphics because they are dedicated gaming machines that are just as fast as a computer. It also hit me that CS is just about dead, and that was one of the biggest online games for quite a while. I hate to see it die, but it seems inevitable.

Your thoughts?

http://www.planetcrap.com/topics/928/
http://forums.hexus.net/showthread.php?t=16453

Some other threads about it.

Replies

• oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Nah.

The market is changing to be sure, and the type of person using it is. But its not dead. It decreasing, but maybe in doing so more innovative games will come out on it since the big publishers wont push A+ (ie generic titles) titles to it . It wont die, but it will change.

FPS still will be it's home until consoles have better way for mods and inputs.

Remember also: The xbox had better graphics than a PC when it came out..... well that didnt last long did it? ;=)
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    I feel the same way. I mentioned this in #md the other night, but was talking specificly about the FPS genre.

Many of the most popular PC games are simply older titles brought to new life with better graphics...while the gameplay is still years behind. One of the reasons these games have thrived so well is the ability to modify them. But, even then, you're taking the technology in an attempt to make a game that is something completely different and creative. Sadly, these modifications are never much more than a WWII clone, or unfinished. Most of the older PC games still hold their popularity.

With the next generation of consoles on the horizon, there will definately be a change in the market. Plus, console games don't have to be installed (a plus now that we're using more and more GB per game), and can be sold and traded easily. The PC platform is becoming to expensive, with new technologies preventing piracy, and frequent errors requiring patches and updates.

The consoles of today are basically small cheap gaming PC's.
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Actually, I wouldn't say PC gaming is dead, and CS definitely is not:

Rank---Game
    Players Online Now---Players in last 31 days

1 Counter-Strike----77,982
    2 Call of Duty
    3 Day of Defeat
    4 Battlefield 1942---6,363
    5 America's Army
    6 Wolfenstein ET
    7 Half Life
    8 Medal Of Honor
    9 Quake III Arena----3,495
    10 Soldier of Frtn 2-3,123
    11 Battlefield: Vietnam--3,076
    12 UT 2004
    13 Half-Life 2
    14 Unreal Tournament-1,276
    15 JK: Jedi Academy--1,008

It does seem like the game engines that are a bit older and less taxing on players' systems tend to do a bit better though. http://www.csports.net/TopGames.aspx?Matrix=0&Mod=0
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    yeah but CS leagues are all moving to CS:Source, which no one likes, causing everyone to quit...
  • RageUnleashed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RageUnleashed polycounter lvl 18
    I'm liking this year's PC FPS prospects, some bright new original ones are looking mighty fine: Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl, Pariah, FEAR and Bioshock (although Bioshock might not quite be this year...). 2004 was certainly brought on a sea of sequels, but 2005 is certainly looking to be a year for new and original games.
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    FPS, RTS and MMO games are for PC aswell as hardcore sims because of the controllers they need to be played well.
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    I want BioShock now dammit
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    PC gaming is dying in the same way Nintendo is dying in the home console market: It's not going away, not meeting total annihilation but it becomes insignificant. More and more games that would usually have gone to the PC are now console-only, very few quality games still reach the platform and variety is decreasing. The PC will never completely die because it will always be popular with the gamer niche. The FPS fans who would never surrender their mouse & keyboard layout, the RTS fans until the DS can deliver some killer online RTS title, etc. Unfortunately, with more and more games evading the PC platform owning only a PC as a gamer is practically impossible. Hell, my processor is becoming obsolete and it'd cost around 400 euros to replace the necessary parts to get the system up to speed, I could get an XBox AND all the games I want for that system with that money. In the last two years I have bought around 25 console games at full price and maybe 5 PC games. The lack of diversity is hurting the PC, outside of FPS, RTS, RPG and Myst-clones you won't find much on the shelves and the little that's left is often a shoddy console port that doesn't even allow you to input text with your keyboard. Try finding a fighting game for the PC these days.
    The PCs advantage is definitely the ease of development, no licenses and crap to worry about, many libraries that allow you to build a game without having to go low level to gain speed, etc. Homebrew games and mods are thriving, though mods are suffering from the increased development time required for newer engines and are getting more and more alike.
  • Asthane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asthane polycounter lvl 18
    Is PC gaming dying? I couldn't say, but if it is, perhaps that is the fate it deserves. I think the entire PC market could use a fresh look on how it works. With (bad) rehashed titles, copy protection that only interferes with legal users, 2-5 components you need to keep updated in order to play the newest games when they don't even look that much better, and just the plain-old juggling of harddrive space that prevents spontaneous gameplay, often enough I look at PC games nowadays and just think... "Why bother?".

I like a lot of PC games, and there are good ones, but then, very few of them couldn't have been done on a console almost as well. I don't think the presence of a peripheral you'd have to buy for a PC anyway "locks in" certain types of games. You can get keyboards for consoles, if PC gaming would just die already, maybe we'd see a lot more variation in that wink.gif (Though I think the PS2 will accept any USB keyboard? I don't remember)

Then again, maybe my love for consoles is the same side that wants to buy apple products smile.gif Now there's an idea. Apple should make a console! Their computers are already halfway there wink.gif
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Why should Apple make a console? What would they bring to the table? An overpriced product with a "sexy design" or what?
  • Irritant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irritant polycounter lvl 18
    PC gaming will exist as long as the FPS exists.
  • Slayerjerman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slayerjerman polycounter lvl 18
    There are alot more games out there being played daily other than the most popular ones like HL2 or WoW. And while FPS is a huge chunk of most PC games, its not the only genre PC has. I'd take PC gaming over console gaming anyday. And if you are bored of PC games, get a usb pad and play some emulators of NES, SNES, SEGA, NEO-GEO, ect...

Just sounds like your tired of FPS games in general...
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    I think, it is great what currently happens with PC gaming... more and more incredibly well done mod/freeware/open-source games, and all those crappy console games can stay where they are (fighting games have been the same since ages, and the older ones run quite well emulated).
    I actually think the PC is where game innovation is currently done, you just don't have to look at the major retail releases.
    Admitably those are getting less, or bad console ports, but I think it is more a trend of the "one time play, nothing to write home about games" are on consoles and the few great "insane replay value" games are on the PC.

Exspecially multiplayer is the main area where the PC shines, and that what I am doing mostly anyways (plus a few great single player games now and then, but there are still enough of those on the PC). Xbox live is trying, but it doesn't even get close to PC multiplayer.

So in other words, PC gaming is growing up... instead of lot of medicore games, we get a few true gems, which I prefer (since I have a real life besides gaming tongue.gif )
  • Irritant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irritant polycounter lvl 18
    Well put Julius.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JK: I dunno, that reeks of PC fanboyism. Claiming that console games aren't as good as PC games and lack replay value is pure ignorance. Do you even own a recent console?

That "we don't get as many games but we get the best" excuse is the same one Nintendo fanboys use to defend the GC's small lineup. Fact is all of them have real "gems" as you call them, the PC doesn't have better games than the consoles and the GC doesn't have better games than the PS2 or something. That I still wonder how you can claim the PC games are better when I haven't seen one I'd call great for a long time is besides the point since I'm sure some consider HL2 a great game. Though I wouldn't call Doom 3 or HL 2 "insanely replayable", more "finish and forget". Which ones would you recommend for replayability?

Fighting games haven't evolved much since Street Fighter but FPSes haven't evolved past Quake, either (see how ignorant such statements are?). Well, fact is that they have changed significantly but if all you see in them is hammering on buttons you'll obviously not see a difference. The changes might seem small on paper but completely change the way the game is played.

And I'd say the PC draws the shorter straw when it comes to multiplayer, newer games and their insane system requirements make it almost impossible to play most games against people you know (one out of my friends has a system capable of running Doom 3 and none have the money to upgrade) while all you need for console multiplayer are additional controllers. Sure, split screen sucks but many games work without it. Of course your mileage may vary if you acutally play online, something I can't get myself to do.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    I own/have constant access to a Dreamcast and a Xbox, Dreamcast is mostly used for a few great games (for example Souldcalibur), xbox is nice for emulating older consoles (since I don't have several joypads on my computer), and a few Racing and fighting games when friends come over, but the Dreamcast or the older consoles have usually the better games. The last Xbox singleplayer games I found mildly amusing are "SilentHill4 the Room" and those new "Prince of Persia" games, both not exactly ground braking and also avalable on PC I think.

My bias towards PC (no I am not a PC fanboy) might come from the point that I am mostly playing serious multiplayer games, and those are FPS and RTS (+ maybe turnbased strategy). Consoles have quite a few FUN multiplayer games as well, but those focus on the "party-play" effect instead of competition. I like those too, but
    1. I can think of a lot of other fun stuff do do on parties/get togethers with friends.
    2. Most of my 'real-life' friends arn't that much into computer games; but mostly reason 1.

So I play multiplayer on the internet, for actually having fun PLAYING the game, and not having fun with friends WHILE playing games (which is fun too). Playing with friends adds to the fun but is not necessary.
    And that is the main difference between console multiplayer and PC multiplayer.

Speaking of PC multiplayer, Doom3 really isn't a good example, but games like EnemyTerritory, UT2004, Warcraft3, Age of Wonders run on almost every newer computer, and are in the first case (and mods) even free. So nothing stops your friends from playing them.

Concerning the "finish and forget" games... yes HL2 and Doom3 are kind of like that, but they where good at it wink.gif And I don't need more (and probably worse) games like that, since I don't have the time to play all these, nor do I want to (modeling and multiplayer is more fun, in most cases).

Last but not least, you are right, if you arn't using your PC to play online or on regular LAN parties, then the PC is not the best gaming machine to have, but thats like saying a ferrari sucks because you can't transport 5 children with it.

To come to an conclusion (still with me? tongue.gif ) PC gaming isn't dying but moving to mostly online gaming, which in my oppinion is the future and the best way to play games.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    i like the immediacy of consoles. got a new game? throw it in and start playing within a couple of minutes. got a new pc game? spend ages installing, probably have to patch, before finally playing.
    more innovation is needed across all platforms, there's too many sequels and remakes.
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    There are alot more games out there being played daily other than the most popular ones like HL2 or WoW. And while FPS is a huge chunk of most PC games, its not the only genre PC has. I'd take PC gaming over console gaming anyday. And if you are bored of PC games, get a usb pad and play some emulators of NES, SNES, SEGA, NEO-GEO, ect...

Just sounds like your tired of FPS games in general...

[/ QUOTE ]

I can play those emulator on my XBOX :P

and I'm tired of FPS, in fact I play with some of the best Halo players in Texas every weekend (and I still play CS)
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    pc gaming is doing just as well as the last time someone pondered the question. also, this just in: you are actually allowed to like pc gaming and consoles without excluding the other. INSANITY, i know, but it's true.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    My arguement that PC games will stick around is, YES...it's a pain in the ass to play FPS on a console. I've tried many times, it ain't happenin. But, once console multiplayer is improved, with support for home networking, and included peripherals such as specialized keyboard and mouse...the PC market in trouble. It's not the PC will die, but will be replaced by PC's designed for gaming.
  • Asthane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Why should Apple make a console? What would they bring to the table? An overpriced product with a "sexy design" or what?

[/ QUOTE ]

It was more a jab at apple for making computers that are already pretty similar to consoles wink.gif Limited hardware diversity, pretty cases, etc smile.gif
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Except that consoles actually have games available for them as long as you ignore the NGage.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Apple do have games for them.

Im still hoping the Linux community will take off.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    Actualy PC gaming is not Dying, so much as the "big Publishers" want to kill it, in favor of the far larger amd more lucrative connsole market. P.C. Games will still continue as long as there are P.C.'s, though, because the entry level is relatively easy, and the attractiveness of MODding and open ended game architecture is so compelling.

Scott

Scott
  • sumguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sumguy polycounter lvl 18
    this topic is so 5 years ago.
  • frosty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frosty polycounter lvl 18
    Actually I found to keep console games from going stale rotate them and then they seem to last forever.

I still have SOFII and Wolfenstein on cd yet to install, still gonna buy UT2004 off ebay but yet to bid. My gaming time is about equal to how much time I spend urinating but UT2003 still rocks my world and like Ely said, it may it impossible to ever capture the fps market on console. I was a bit disappointing at dropping 225 for a 9800 pro and not getting the enhancement I thought I would over my ancient toothless ati 7500.
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thermidor polycounter lvl 18
    Ive noticed the Pc vs console market does this switch over every few years .... its like yin and yang or somthing ... when one is in favor , you know that some time soon , the other will come back..... or somthing like that.

Personaly i agree about the PC being a great area for new and free inovation ... allthough im not sure how original modded titles are , but ive really loved some ... and its somthing the console market just cannot do ...
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When was the last time the PC market came back?
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I thought of one bonus to PC that consoles avoid. Long titles. You find more often than not shorter titles on the console as consoles are meant for shorter playing times where people can pick up quickly. You don't want this super engaging story that you continually have to leave.

Versus the PC where you sit for hours.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm currently on my 30th hour of a 60 hour game on the GC, come again? Or do you define long as 200 hours?
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    pcs have longer games? most rpgs are on consoles and most of those run the range of 40-80+ hours. the only long games i can of that are pc only are the Bioware D'n'D games.

really though i think they are about even. pcs have long games (some rpgs), they have short games (most FPS). same with consoles long (rpgs), short (platformers). especially since most games come out on both console AND pc tongue.gif

i've spent the last week playing Resident Evil 4 on the GameCube for hours on end a day whereas on PC i usually only play an hour or two every few days if that. even HalfLife 2 i never played more than 3-4 hours at a time.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How long is RE4 for one pass?

But yea, there are always exceptions. I should have stated in my experience.
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    i clocked in at 21:14'31" on my first time through.
  • Asthane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, what they said. Longevity is a feature of console games in my experience. Long play times are one of the things I buy games for, and while I have a stack of 25+ excelent 30-60 hour console games by my side, I look at my stack of PC games and it's just... Eh, okay, I probably spent that much time on BG2, Diablo 2, Warcraft 3... KOTOR was great but only takes 15-20 hours, which isn't bad (And is a bad example since it was originally an XBOX game wink.gif). Great games on their own, yes, but not enough to say PC games have more longevity than console games.

Sure console games have short ones too, their replay-based games (ie fighters) can be much shorter, but then, with console games there are enough titles that I can just ignore those completely and still get plenty of games smile.gif

Hell, when is the last time you saw a PC game released on two DVD's? wink.gif

Edit: Oh, and I geuss MMO's could count towards long games =P I don't count FPS's because the unlimited/multiplayer gameplay is pointless. It's not working towards completing the game, same as fighters)
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thermidor polycounter lvl 18
    well , games like diablo2 you can play for months to try to get to 99, but i admit the pc games industry is sorta long over due my expected come back smile.gif