Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Character: Pitt (highpoly)

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Silva_Spoon polycounter lvl 18
Pitt... yes again. I cant stop until I nail him. Im using a bunch of Dale Keown's Pitt comics as reference and Ive noticed that one thing that makes it hard to get a Pitt likeness spot on is that fact that Dale Keown (the creator of Pitt) got more and more stylized with his muscle anatomy as the series went on. I am trying to find a happy medium between early and late Pitt. Crits and comments are appreciated.

sculpting02_thumb.jpg

sculpting01_thumb.jpg

Replies

• Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    The muscles look really nice. Proportions are way off on some areas though. But I'm sure it's Keown's fault since you're using his drawings as ref. Maybe post some ref pics to fight off these type of comments easier. Model looks good though. The front bulge in the shoulder muscle seems a bit bulky too.
  • Silva_Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    good call, heres some of the pics I've been using for reference, all drawn by Dale Keown:

pitt_reference01_thumb.jpg pitt_reference02_thumb.jpg pitt_reference03_thumb.jpg pitt_reference04_thumb.jpg pitt_reference05_thumb.jpg
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    The head seems too small and too round on the top, other than that it looks really good to me much like Pitt. Can't wait to see those chains and biker jacket on him. Later.

Alex
  • Jerome
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerome polycounter lvl 18
    thats really cool
  • thinsoldier
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thinsoldier polycounter lvl 18
    yes, head is too round at the top and dont forget that pitt is an alien, so the stylized non-existant muscle groups are totally possible.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    if you normal mapped this hugh beast with your old mid-poly model, it would look awesome! He looks very buff and ready to do some destruction! Very cool!
  • DamienB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DamienB polycounter lvl 18
    Thats pretty nice. The back of the forearms are my favorite part thus far.
  • Silva_Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the crits and comments . I worked on the head and neck a bit tonight but I gottta catch some sleep.

sculpting03_thumb.jpg
  • Wings3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wings3dee polycounter lvl 18
    That looks fn' fantasctic,

Their are Artist's, and their are the Dale keon's and Stephen Platt's.
    I'm a big Image fan from the early to mid 90's.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    This looks pretty good so far. I use to have a huge Pitt poster on my wall as a teenage - lookin' forward to seeing how this pans out.
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    It's a bit of a challenge, but you might look into using morph targets based on bone position so that his anatomy could reflect his pose. He'll always look great in this pose, but if you plan to rig him and move him around the detailed musculature could end up looking pretty strange. Of course this could be for a normal mapped game model in which case you can ignore me entirely.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    The details look nice, but I think you went to them too fast. The shape of his torso is very awkward. It's inverted on the front and very flat. to easily reshape the torso, export your lowest hierarch level back into max, use an FFD, or soft select to shape it back into a barrell roundness, and then import it back into zbrush (without having closed zbrush or done anything to it). Zbrush will update that low level with the new positions you imported from max, and will propogate them to the higher levels. If you can'd do that, fix it on the normal mapped lower poly model after the normal map is baked.
  • calbar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    calbar polycounter lvl 18
    I agree - its the overall shape that isn't clicking for me. His head popping out of the body reminds me of the goombas from the Super Mario Brothers movie wink.gif. The first reference images seems to show more of a neck. He also has a nice domed shape to the upper torso, where you have dips by the shoulders, and the model's torso and arms seem to taper too much; his upper torso looks like an oval stabbed on to a sausage, where it looks like you have more of a triangle shape, and the arms look almost slender, where he has like, fat muscle pipes.

I think if you do add a neck, you might want to structure the detail like the first ref image, and put that type of detail in the forearms (they seem to look like that by default). I know super pissed tendon-neck is probably his most common state, but I think it would look better - just my opinion I guess. You've got great modeling skills it seems, just didn't hit the shape right before detailing - hopefully I'm not crazy cool.gif
  • Silva_Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some good crits guys I appreciate them. I pulled the head up and detailed it a little more. I think I may indeed go with the natural look for the neck instead of what I have currently, just havent gotten to it. IS the head higher an improvement?

sculpting04_thumb.jpg

sculpting05_thumb.jpg
  • tRens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tRens polycounter lvl 18
    i have the comics smile.gif 1-6 er 10 i think.. love them.. and yes the body is odd.. the forearms aren't layered enough with muscle.. and they seem a bit odd compared to the body in the pictures that he drew.

tRens

btw i can't get on IRC cause of 100053 error or something im pissed.
  • parasyte7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    parasyte7 polycounter lvl 19
    that back is amazing man...the front view is a little lacking, the muscles just dont look as natural as the back ones.
  • JesterBox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JesterBox polycounter lvl 18
    awsome im a noob too this but ill get on your level somday
  • Silva_Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im in the process of giving the front attention, mainly the chest. I'll get to the lower body one day :P

Oh and JesterBox I still have yet to land my first 3d job so dont feel too bad man, we're still on the same page, noob, wannabe its all the same :]
  • Silva_Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok well heres what I got so far. Started on the legs and let me know what you think of the changes in the front of the torso.

sculpting06_thumb.jpg