Home General Discussion

RIP Troika. Maybe.

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
Another day another fucking quality developer gone. Unless of course this is some horrible joke.

[ QUOTE ]
An email advertising a fire-sale at Troika has been posted at several gaming forum sites over the past few days but the authenticity was questionable and we waited for further news. RPG Codex is pointing out a post at NMA from Troika's David Marsh that seems to confirm the position that Troika has closed and are selling off their equipment:
LIQUIDATION SALE

After 7 exciting years, and 3 published games, Troika Games is closing its doors forever!
EVERYTHING MUST GO!

* Computers - P3 & up
* Monitors 13" - 21"
* Desks
* Chairs
* Conference Tables
* Filing Cabinets
* Cubicle System
* Canon Copier
* and much more!

Saturday, Feb. 19th 9am - 1pm only 17991 Cowan in Irvine (Cash & Carry)
Let our loss be your gain.
Please feel free to forward this email to anyone that may be interested in the sale.

http://www.rpgcodex.com/

http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=183150#183150

[/ QUOTE ]

Replies

• JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    That could explain why Vampire the Maskerade Bloodlines was/is such a bug infested mess frown.gif

Still a pity, since I enjoyed their games a lot.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    Oooh cheap stuff!! I wonder how much one would have to bid to beat the original user for his system?

Scott
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 19
    yeah, they were pretty cool... I wish they would actually get to make their post apocalyptic RPG game they started working on after Vampire. but yeah their games were really buggy, all of them, I have them all, but don't play them too much simply because of that fact.
    Arcanum had a cool story and setting, but combat sucked big time it just felt clunky.

Temple of Elemental Evil just didn't feel cohesive at all, it started out pretty cool, but then just kinda degraded towards the end.

Vampire... man why use HL2 when u are going to do the same thing u can do in like modified Q3 or UT2k? beats me, cool game once again has a cool feel to it, but its bug ridden and the art is just way below HL2...

sucks that they're gone, I was waiting for them to ramp up and get into the flow of making cool RPGs... doesn't look like its gonna happen tho. frown.gif
  • kleinluka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kleinluka polycounter lvl 18
    It's not a joke... I know David Marsh... frown.gif It's sad.
    But then again there are lots of opportunities in Cali so whoever got laid off shouldn't worry :]
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    seriously? i was building up my portfolio to get a position at troika. i even have the job opening saved as an .rtf on my desktop. how ironic..
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heh yeah I applied there a few times, "I want to work for you guys, I'll model for food" type of deal heh.
  • palm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    palm polycounter lvl 18
    This sux. Troika made great games. Seems like people dont like rpg's anymore. First Black Island and now troika.

/Palm
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    Troika had some real talent there. Sorry to hear that guys, good luck to all of ya.

-R
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thermidor polycounter lvl 18
    I loved elemental evil , after a patch it worked ok .... vampire bloodlines was pretty much how described , looked unfinnished to me in every sense.

shame to see them go tho , if it is true...
  • pogonip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pogonip polycounter lvl 18
    That sucks for those guys probebly goingto be hard to find such cool type games to work on ... probebly get stuck doing a sports game or a license . Good luck to them
  • Kevin Albers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Albers polycounter lvl 18
    Yuck! I was hoping Troika would suceed at bringing its take on RPG games to 3d game engines. They had some great ideas. I hope a bunch of them form another studio.
  • War_Destroyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    War_Destroyer polycounter lvl 18
    Hmmmmm....Troika was right across the street from Black Isle. Sux to hear thier gone from the map as well. Well I hope those guys have better luck finding work in So Cal.
  • JKim3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKim3 polycounter lvl 18
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah it is... someone got a hold of a demo vid of that new Post Apocalyptic game they started working on just before this happened, I guess no one wanted to fund a new Post Apocalyptic RPG, so sad.

http://www.3ddownloads.com/nma-fallout/misc/games/DEMO_Gameplay.wmv

looks pretty damn neat.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SO, you're surprised that a company that has released one game that wasn't received well, and then two games that where buggy as FUCK on release... closed?
    Yeah, it's a regular mistery, that.
  • Steve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve polycounter lvl 18
    I really, really enjoyed Vampire: Bloodlines myself, along with HL2 and Dawn of War, probably my favourite pc game of last year but then they had patched it up by the time I got my copy.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    There was the two Fallout games too, Pea. They might not have sold well, but you can't argue that they weren't well recieved.
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah their last two games were buggy, not Unplayable type of buggy just annoying, and I'm just speaking for everyone else cuz I haven't had any problems with either one of them. they played just fine, and I've had the usual crash or two during that time that I played them, but thats normal really I mean which game have you played that hasn't crashed at all.

True though I've heard lots of people having lots of problems.

And I think that might have contributed to Troika going down. I think its more than that though, CRPGs aren't really that popular anymore, at least not the kind Troika wanted to make, they don't sell as well as action games and shooters and mmos. There were a couple of interviews with Leonard Boyarsky posted online yesterday, and he basically said it all really, they had some pretty good new stuff lined up, they had good ideas and tallented people, but couldn't find a publisher and the game's over.

I dunno, it might be the fanboi in me speaking, I loved fallout and I really wanted to see the team that made it go on and make another great game like that, so, sucks that it didn't happen.