Home General Discussion

Is this it?!

Daz
Daz
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Daz polycounter lvl 18
Is this how we meet our end? No 3rd world war, no polar ice caps melting and flooding the planet, no comet hitting us.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4289637.stm

bloody chicken flu? Kind of ant-climatic dontcha think?!

Replies

• sundance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sundance polycounter lvl 18
    well, hey, we could always start world war 3 over getting the vaccines...
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Is this how we meet our end?

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt it; there always seems to be a small portion of the population that is inexplicably immune to this sort of thing. For example, there's a very small percentage of people who have actually contracted the virus HIV, but their immune system somehow defeats it before it advances to AIDS. If there were an outbreak of some kind of chicken flu, even if a majority of the world's population ended up being wiped-out, I'm sure a handful of lucky bastards would live through it.

If not, life would just have to start over from square one. Hell, I'm sure the earth and sun have a few billion years left in them, that's plenty of time to re-evolve into humans (or be 'recreated' for all of you fundy Christians). We might end up a little different, though. For example, we might end up being quadrupeds, or maybe amphibians even... I want to be a fucking amphibian.
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    Vegans and vegetarians will survive.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    I am going to force feed them contaminated KFC!!!
  • pogonip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pogonip polycounter lvl 18
    Ehhh ive always thought the movie 12 Monkeys was probebly the most accurate depiction of the future of Humans ...well minus the time travel.

I also pretty much go with the school of thought that the Dino's were wiped out by pandemic .
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    I had it last week, but its was Birds Custard Flu. At least thats what my hankies looked like.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    I ALWAYS KNEW THOSE GODAMM CHICKENS WOULD BE THE END OF US!!! KILL THEM ALL!
  • tpe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tpe polycounter lvl 18
    Just think what it would do for unemployment, you would never have to go a day without work again, nor would you have to worry about pensions as the frail would be the first to go, global warming would be a thing of the past as power consumption wouldn't amount to a hill of beans, then there is also overcrouding, no more parking problems, the cost of real estate would plumet we could all just go and take over a deserted mansion in the nice part of town. Bring it on, that and aids are probably the last best hopes for the human populated world.

tpe
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    For example, there's a very small percentage of people who have actually contracted the virus HIV, but their immune system somehow defeats it before it advances to AIDS.

[/ QUOTE ]

Read the warning label of the drug AZT that is given to all AIDS victims. "will cause susceptibility to fatal diseases". Strange? I don't believe AIDS really exists. I know it's not a disease, but simply a stage of T-cell depletion. I think AIDS is simply a fraud to receive more funds for cancer research. I believe HIV isn't what we think it is, and can be treated. What if people die from low T-cell counts and disease because their bodies are too exhausted from fighting off the expensive and huge amounts of medications they're given. In 1996, a young doctor attempted to prove this theory by injecting himself with HIV. Less than a year later he died in his kitchen of a heart attack while eating a salad. Odd?

As for outbreaks, don't forget the pneumonic plague.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/4290783.stm
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thinning of the heard, I guess we where getting to big for our britches... Time to finish off that bombshelter I have been working on since 1999. I guess the plan now calls for a virus air filtration system... those can get pricey. But hey, living 3 months longer than everyone else is worth it in my book =P

On a serrious note, looks like we are all screwed, it was nice knowing everyone. Maybe they will give it more natorious name, anything is better than "bird flu". It makes us sound like toddlers learning to talk "mommy look birdie flu! BIRDIE FLU!" "yes tommy birds fly... OMG your father is frathing at the mouth!"

I just realized my plan if the world went to hell (and I lived), is now foiled. Since I like boneless BBQ-ed chicken breasts, I was going to be a chicken farmer. But that won't work now will it... damn it this sucks =(
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    I believe that this would never wipe out humanity, not even if it spread to the whole world, just as pesticides can't wipe out rats and cockroaches and antibiotica can't kill all bacteria. Humans are a fast adapting species, no way they'll be wiped out by a single cause.

Elysium: Of course that ignores the millions of people dying from AIDS in Africa without any medication. A conspiracy might amplify the effects of AIDS but not 100% replace it.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    @ElysiumGX: And how do you explain the millions of people in Africa who have never seen a single drop of medication, and still die because of AIDS... of cause it is true that HIV/AIDS it self doesn't kill you, but the lack of white blood cells that protect you from deseases (and cellular retardation), makes you extremely likely to die of another cause.
    Seriously that is as much a fact as it can be scientificly speaking.
    Much more interesting is how HIV originally crossed the species border, but that's a different topic.

About the Birdflu... that is pretty much all hype, at least globally speaking. Even if it kills 50 million people (which would be huge) you would't even really notice with 6 billion people on earth.
    Every desease that kills quickly dies out quickly too, no matter how infectios it is.
    Deseases that don't kill you (or very slowly), but make your life miserable are actually a much higher danger.
  • joolz8000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joolz8000 polycounter lvl 18
    Elysium, that's a pretty thin conspiracy theory there, yet I've heard it before. I'm amazed at how much traction this theory has, despite the mountains of evidence to the contrary. I suspect fear and hatred (homophobia, racism) initially fueled the idea of AIDS not being 'real', just as there are plenty of anti-semites denying the holocaust ever happened.

Personally, I've known several people who've died of AIDS complications- otherwise healthy individuals in their early thirties getting pneumonia and shingles. I guess of the four infected people I've known, two are living well (with medication) and two died (one with no medication, the other with a little). Anyway, as JMakowka said, there's plenty of people world-wide dying every day, medication-free. And the young, foolish, self-injecting doctor? He died of a heart attack. What does that prove?
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    And how do you explain the millions of people in Africa who have never seen a single drop of medication, and still die because of AIDS.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is a theory. And I can't say it's true...only interesting. As for Africa, do you know what extreme starvation and malnutrition does to your T-cell count? It's easy to be diagnosed with HIV due to that environment. There have been reports of women with HIV being placed on a healthy nutritional diet, along with exercise, that have overcome the disease. I quoted Keyser above as seeing reports of this also. Fact is, many people can be misdiagnosed with HIV and AIDS, that really aren't infected. But, the medication they're placed on can do a great deal of damage to their bodies, even fatal. There is an AIDS fraud in the world. So it's difficult to believe everything you here about this epidemic. Perhaps AIDS/HIV is being used as a "catch all" term we use for diseases we know nothing about.

The birdflu has been in the news for several months now. It'll come and go, just like SARS. New diseases help FOX News to recieve better ratings.
  • tpe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tpe polycounter lvl 18
    The only way you get diagnosed for HIV (the virus) is if you are antibody or dna posative, you do not get diagnosed as HIV if you have a low t count (that would be AIDS). The so called "theory" started in Uganda when polatitions there did not want to fund testing or medication for their burgeoning AIDS bills. it had no basis in reality and has oddly and unfortuanatly been perpetuated ever since. Frankly it is amazing how much crap like this goes aroud, guess its the thing legends are made of or beleiving in witch craft.

As for the bird flu it is not too dangerous on its own and only gets communicated from birds to people at the moment. the death toll of wich is pretty much negligabel

However human flu is a major killer (65.000 each year in the US alone) despite being rarly fatal. the last time a human flu got nasty was in 1918 where it killed one in 50 (about 20 million).

the problem comes only iff the two related virri mix or one mutates to become virilunt in a new host. then we really are talking major casualties, but hey that aint necessarily so bad, see my post above smile.gif

Currently the concern is that the bird flue and human flu will infect a human host at the same time, as the flu season is on its way in asia and the number of cases is still rising this is getting more likly. then the chances of a hybrid arising are pretty good.

tpe
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    then we really are talking major casualties, but hey that aint necessarily so bad, see my post above smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Tis true. The world is very overpopulated by the human species, especially in industrialized regions. In the end, nature will have its way. Developing vaccines is only delaying the inevitable.

thanks for putting a new perspective on the whole aids conspiracy.
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Thinning of the heard, I guess we where getting to big for our britches...

[/ QUOTE ]

That's right this is just nature enforcing a form of population control.

I heard about this awhile ago, or it may have been a different population threatening pandemic...I dunno. I doubt it will be the end. I'm holding out for a zombie apocalypse myself.

[ QUOTE ]
    I am going to force feed them contaminated KFC!!!

[/ QUOTE ]
    So then when they die they may actaully have a decent red blood cell count! (sorry...I love ripping on vegens and vegetarians)
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mishra polycounter lvl 18
    im waiting for the zombie thing too, a strain of flu that makes people lose all self control and want to eat and eat and eat until they die would be exciting.
  • sundance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i'm holding out for the post apocalyptic society myself, i really wanna sport a one-sleeve leather jacket and bomb around in a souped up muscle car...
  • Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bronco polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    i'm holding out for the post apocalyptic society myself, i really wanna sport a one-sleeve leather jacket and bomb around in a souped up muscle car...

[/ QUOTE ]

You sure you can't do that already sundance?

john
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    Well he can do it now, and people will just scoff and give strange glances. Turn it into a post-apocalyptic scene, he'll be the shit, girls will want him and guys will want to be him.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    Damn, and before can save up enough to buy my dream home, near my parents...

http://www.missilebases.com/tims/tims.htm

Scott
  • jzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jzero polycounter lvl 18
    Come on, you guys, it won't destroy us all. It'll just be like the Flu Epidemic of 1918, which, apparently, killed 150 million people worldwide.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/influenza/maps/index.html

These details are fun:
    http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/influenza/sfeature/victims.html

ElysiumGX : Read "The Hot Zone" by Richard Preston, which is all about the fun fun Ebola Reston incident that killed many cute monkeys. You might change your mind about the AIDS virus, once you read what he has to say about the paving of the Kinshasa Highway. Or not.

/jzero
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Fact is, many people can be misdiagnosed with HIV and AIDS, that really aren't infected. But, the medication they're placed on can do a great deal of damage to their bodies, even fatal. There is an AIDS fraud in the world. So it's difficult to believe everything you here about this epidemic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually the first is true, many people get misdiagnosed with HIV, but that is pure statistics.
    It's like 1 out of 1000 (or 10000/100000 can't remember the exact ratio) is either falsy positiv or falsy negative, but that can add up with 6billion people, and of cause if you ain't got HIV, getting heavy medication isn't going to help your health confused.gif

About the AIDS fraud... one could say that huge pharma companys arn't researching (or even hiding what is known to them) medications that actually cure AIDS, because medicine that only represses illness makes you 'addiced' to said stuff. Cured people are bad news for them, since they can't earn money of them.... same is could be true for many other 'chronic' deseases.

But much worse is actually that illnesses like malaria that are wide spread mostly in poor contries aren't researched on because you can't earn money with a cure frown.gif The only reason it is researched on is because of the military.
  • Soul_Reaper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soul_Reaper polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, I heard somewhere that they're sitting on a cure for the common cold but won't release it because they make too much money on symptom relief medicines.
  • sundance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Well he can do it now, and people will just scoff and give strange glances. Turn it into a post-apocalyptic scene, he'll be the shit, girls will want him and guys will want to be him.

[/ QUOTE ]

precisely.

plus, i don't a)have a licence and b)have a car, but in the lawless post-apocalyptic society, that won't matter.
  • artgoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artgoon polycounter lvl 18
    Meh. I've gotten Malaria and Cholera before. People have been saying the world's going to end every day.