Home Technical Talk

App question...Blender, etc.

Irritant
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Irritant polycounter lvl 18
Recently I've been trying out some new apps.

For years, I've been using QME 3.1 Now before you all laugh, first let me state that I build models vertex by vertex. This is my prefered method, and I'm very fast at doing it. I have no apsirations of doing high poly models or scenes, just game models. I'm not looking to switch methods. Just apps, if it makes sense to do so.

The reason I have stuck with QME, is because mainly of one very simple thing. The interface. There is no need to switch between manipulation and view modes, you can do everything without switching. For example, if you are in vertex mode, your left mouse button will move the view if you click on the open space and drag. The right will rotate if you click on open space and drag. Left click a vertex, and you can move it. Right click in open space, but don't drag, and a menu pop-up will appear, and you can create, merge, split, create a face, whatever to vertexes. You can move the model all around without having to click on "rotate view", "move view", like in Gmax, and still remain in vertex mode. So much fewer clicks.

So basically, what takes about 5 mouse clicks in Blender or Gmax, takes about 2 in QME.

Now Milkshape, seems somewhat close to that, in regards to creating by vertex, but still you have to bounce between "select" and other options. Plus QME is easier to animate with.

But Alas, QME is a dead program. It's a shame, because what it does do, it's very good at, but it's missing alot of other features, like IK, snapping, copying, undoing(!). It could have been a great program with a little more developement, IMO. So I would like to learn a new package. I can use Gmax, Blender, Milkshape, to a degree, but have never been comfortable with them.

So my question is, are there settings in Blender or other apps that can make it similar to QME's interface?

Replies