Home General Discussion

Dr. Who: In March

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
Any of our brethren in UK anticipating the new series??
http://www.gallifreyone.com/newstv.php

Christopher Eccleston plays the good doctor.
http://uk.imdb.com/name/nm0001172/

Wonder how long till PBS gets to show it?

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, I'm looking forward to it. I've enjoyed Christopher Eccleston in everything he's been in (most memorably the Second Coming, and 28 Days Later) ... and I enjoyed the original series when I was a kid, so this should be good...
  • tpe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tpe polycounter lvl 18
    thats something i never thaught i would see again. i used to love this seriese untill i recently saw some tom baker reruns. thank god the financiers didnt see the same episodes, that would have been the death of it. i have to see the first ones when they come out, 20 years ago they wernt cheesy at the time, but now i have no idea how they are going to avoid it, the whole basis of the sereise has been used in so much else it is almost the definition of cheese nowdays.

tpe
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Eccleston is a really compelling and damn fine actor. That gives me a fair amount of faith that this could actually be really good.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    to be honest, i'm sick to death of Christopher Eccleston - good actor though he is - popping up in everything. Although he's got a fair way to go before he's reached the level of bloody Keith Allen (ie, i actually scream and throw things at the TV when he appears)

i've always been amazed that David Warner has never been Dr Who. He'd be spot on
  • sal_manilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sal_manilla polycounter lvl 18
    Who? Why?! Sorry friends...that show was way to corny for my taste. How it survived as long as it did was a puzzlement. To each their own, eh? smirk.gif
  • sundance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sundance polycounter lvl 18
    i'm probably going to watch it...largely for billie, mind...
    C_rose.jpg
  • Mojo2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mojo2k polycounter lvl 18
    i'm half looking foreward to it, and half dreading it, i don't want them to turn the Doc into a cool hip trendy character, he's always been an ecentric goof, but i don't see modern telivision following that tradition

I also preffer Doc being played by older actors, in fact if i could have picked an actor for this role,it would have been Ian Holm, would be perfect
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    danr: I'm in the US so I hardly ever see him.
    Sal: so why post? ;-) Of course it's bloody corny. That's the point. I grew up with it. It has a deep rooted affection in the hearts of the British public. Cult status I guess.
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    Oh, well since I love Doctor who, I'll be lookign foward to this. The actor is good (heh, I just saw 28 Days Later for the first time last night). Though I had seem his in 2 other movies prior. Though personally, I really don't think he looks the part, perhaps he'll still have the amusing attitude. And, just my opinoin, if I were to pick a new Doctor Who, I'd probably go with Alan Rickman.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    I'm with mojo on the old days of dr. who. I liked having an old guy in tacky clothing going around eating jelly bellys and saving people. It just felt so out there that it was fun.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    don't forget k-9
  • War_Destroyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    War_Destroyer polycounter lvl 18
    I'm american born and bred and I love Dr. Who. It might be corny now but that show was hella fun when I was younger. It got me to watch pbs when at a time when I probably wouldn't have. I'm gonna look out for this.
  • Irritant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irritant polycounter lvl 18
    I loved that show as a kid...

Exxxterrrrminnnate!!
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Help Defeat The Daleks - Build More Staircases!
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    Watched in on PBS locally. the carboard set design ethic put me off, and I didn't like TOm Baker's version, but like those who came before and after. However, the writing was uneven, sometimes really trite and polemical, and sometimes soaring to the heights of art and philosophy. Heady stuff for a kid's show. Hopefully the technical leverage that has given us some nice small budget, but big scope independants, and thecreativity within the bidgetary constraints like in shows such as MI-5, will at least help elevate the visuals some. it would be nice to see what they could do with digital cameras, green screen set extentions, maybe CG creatures, and better pace effects.

Scott

Scott
  • sundance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Help Defeat The Daleks - Build More Staircases!

[/ QUOTE ]

doesn't work anymore, they had a sylvester mccoy episode where they could hover up stairs...

and apparently the news ones can too...
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    staircases with a low ceiling?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    That'll fox 'em!
    Didn't they also once have a bunch of men dressed in aluminium foil with handles for ears? what was that all about? all my memories of Dr. Who are lost in a haze of being about 6-8 years old.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    MoP - the Cybermen. They were "men" who were "cyber".
  • sundance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    they blagged the 'resistance is futile' line before the borg too...

the cybermen were cyborgs and came from mondas and could be killed by silver.
    the daleks come from skaro and are also cyborgs...

the first story features the autons, plastic aliens who attempt to take over the world, in part, by taking over shop window dummies!!