Home Technical Talk

photoshop and shift-clicking

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
John Warner polycounter lvl 18
hey guys. i've gotten in the habbit recently of shift clicking to draw straight lines.. because my wrist ins't that steady and that way you get a nice constat line width.

the problem is that if i shift-click from point a to b, by the time it gets to b, the opacity is like friggin zero.

this is a stupid problem. is it possible to turn this "feature" off at all? or is it a problem with me using a tablet mouse, perhaps?

EDIT:
a-HAH! it was my tablet mouse.

isn't it funny how sometimes when you dialoge inside your mind, or ask a question out loud, sometimes your brain will just spit out an answer? "maybe it's your tablet mouse" facinating, really.

Replies

• pyromania
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pyromania polycounter lvl 18
    It happens because you are using a tablet with Opacity jitter set in photoshop. When I'm going to draw that way I make sure to go up the brush properties and click off Opacity jitter. Or just do all the drawing with a mouse.
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oooohhh thanks very much. as it happens, i can't seem to turn off opacity jitter, th whole feild is greyed out.. maybe thats just because i've got my tablet plugged in.
  • pyromania
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pyromania polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    oooohhh thanks very much. as it happens, i can't seem to turn off opacity jitter, th whole feild is greyed out.. maybe thats just because i've got my tablet plugged in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats odd. I have my tablet plugged in all the time and once I turn off opacity jitter, or other dynamics all together it will work. It isn't doing a brush size jitter too maybe? Make sure the size jitter is off too.
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, make sure you set up your own brush settings and save them, as otherwise they may default to Opacity by Pen Pressure every time you choose the default round brush. I have a bunch of brushes like 1 pixel hard, 5 pix airbrush pressure, 10 pix hard variable size, 25 hard splat, etc. This way I can just choose my brushes with custom settings, and don't need to go turn off some damn option from the defaults every time I activate them.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, do what Ryno says. I only learned to do this recently, and it's a huge time-saver.
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    interesting. thanks guys, i apprecieate the thoughts.

funny- ocacity jitter just became un greyed.. it's off, but my tablet mouse still gives the same problem.

i have all sorts of problems using my tablet mouse. when using 3d cameras in some programs it really glitches out. strange.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    It's not the opacity but the size of the brush. It goes to zero literally. This is true with photoshop 7, I'm not sure if this happens with earlier versions. The work around would be to go to the size settings and set the minimum brush setting to the smallest size you ever want it to be. It's based on the percentage of the brush though so just play with the slider until you find somthing you like or do the math in your end. That's pretty much it. Once it's set you can get some nice sharp lines that vary in thickness. Later.

Alex
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    Just turn off shape dynamics that way it won't scale small as you progress through your stroke, I hate all that junk and have set up a custom soft and hard brush with no smoothing no shape dynamics, no pressure sensitive and always set to airbrush.