Home General Discussion

donnie darko > you

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Mishra polycounter lvl 18
oh my god, i got this on dvd yesterday and just watched it. it starts off innocent enough, plenty of laughs, "What's a fuckass?"

then it quickly turns to a mind FUCK and it is seriously the best movie ever.

it makes me want to take an adorable cute kitten, spoil it with candies, and squeeze it until it pops, then i want to eat the remains. that's how GOOD this damn movie is.

Replies

• Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah its a damn good film.
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    I've heard it's good, but I have yet to see it myself.
  • Eli_Heuer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eli_Heuer polycounter lvl 18
    Patrick Swayze is hilarious in that film.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    saw it years ago after everyone said I was a loser for not seeing it yet.

years later it seems they've re-released it, and everyone's like "OMG this movie rules!!!".

yeah, it's good.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    I loved this one also. Always nice to get a pleasant surprise.
  • Cannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cannon polycounter lvl 18
    wow, ive had this movie sitting on my desk for at least 5 months and havent bothered watching it.

Once I get the time I certainly will. Its on VHS though :[
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    personally i felt it was willfully obtuse direction as regards to the plot, but that might change upon a second viewing. overall i did like it but i think i need to give it another go to really appreciate it smile.gif
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    gauss: this is true.
    personally i think it's an excellent movie, however it manages to essentially have no... "point" to it.
    nobody saw it when it was released at the cinema, but then as soon as it came out on DVD it was a cult hit... weird.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    It really wasn't that deep. More like it wanted to "mimick" being deep.

Do like some of the original music from it though. And that new version of "Mad world" is awesome. Still want to find the single for that.
  • jzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jzero polycounter lvl 18
    It's even funnier if you were approximately Donnie's age at the time the movie takes place. Late 80s, oh boy.

I think it does have a point. It's a psychological exploration of Donnie's near-psychotic teenage angst state, as it draws out from his head into the real world, and at some point it makes contact with the fabric of space-time... in fact, that's a lot like what I was going through in college in 1987... without the spectral bunnies and sheared-off jet engines, obviously. It's not about what actually happens to Donnie (that's basically erased, after all), it's about his emotional state.

Whatever it does, it hits home. Wes-Anderson-class soundtrack. All-time best use of "Mad World". Ever.

/jzero
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    Sometimes I get the feeling that people think movies are great or 'cult' because they don't get the "point" or meaning of the movie... Like "oh that movie must be great because I don't understand it" confused.gif

The only great thing about that movie is that it seems to play with this, by not really understanding what it is about either.

Anyways, ok to watch, but by no means a 'cult' movie.
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Anyways, ok to watch, but by no means a 'cult' movie.

[/ QUOTE ]

What would you qualify as a "cult" movie, then? I've always assumed it to mean a film that was initially a commercial failure, but that gained a following of dedicated, obsessive, cult-like fans. Most mainstream films that are considered successful are only popular for maybe a year, and then maybe for a couple more years on home video, and then they fade away. Cult films start with a small fanbase, and then gain popularity gradually overtime; at least that's my take on the term.
  • Frank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frank polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    It's not about what actually happens to Donnie (that's basically erased, after all), it's about his emotional state.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I thought it was more about his choice (at the end) and the reason he makes it, personally, but that does tie in to his emotional state. smile.gif Great movie, anyway.

Frank the Avenger
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    KeyserSoze: Yep, that's my take on it too, which is why I think it's a "cult" film... or if it's not yet, it will be.

oXYnary: I agree, I think it's not a "deep" film at all, but it mimics being "deep" so well that you have to wonder whether it ACTUALLY is or not smile.gif

JKMakowka: Nah, all you need to do is understand that you don't NEED to understand it, just enjoy it... wink.gif
  • Paolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paolo polycounter lvl 18
    Ok, I will swim against the current and say that I thought it was teh suk. I agree with OXY's assesment that it had a veneer of depth but no real substance. Why just shoot for trippy when a movie could be trippy and deep? Bah, maybe I should stop tyring to hold it up to better movies like Brazil, Jacob's Ladder, The Wall, The Game, Fight Club, Vanilla Sky, etc.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Vanilla Sky, now THERE was a sucky movie smile.gif
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    no, i think there is some depth to it... but the keys to unraveling what actually occurs in the course of the film are withheld. i enjoy movies that need repeat viewings to appreciate the depth and richness of the material, but with donnie darko the whole space/time business has been made obscure to further the mysterious qualities of the film... something like that, anyway. i stand by 'willfully obtuse' as how i characterize the direction. the writer/director is an obviously talented guy, i just wish i wouldn't have to read the book, rummage through message boards on the net, or watch the film again to really figure out what happened.
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    that rendition of "mad world" is by a guy named Gary Jules. You can find it on his album "Trading snakeoil for wolftickets" a great album.
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    It really wasn't that deep. More like it wanted to "mimick" being deep.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, though all of those indie emo kids eat up. So many think this is the deepest mind-fuck movie ever (Memento, now that was a good mind-fuck flick). There's this one kid at my school who goes on how the movie has changed him emotionally, and how he thinks there should be a sequel, yeah he's pretty much an ass.

I will say it is a good movie though, has some really entertaining parts in it, and a good cast.

And personally, I prefer the original Tears for Fears version of Mad World, I liked how it was upbeat sounding despite the lyric content.
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yes i have come to the conclusion it's not the best movie ever, but it's the best movie i've seen in the last month or so.
  • Nostradamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nostradamus polycounter lvl 18
    That girl is hot...
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    at first i thought she was like 12 so i had my brother go to imdb and look at their ages. she was 17, he was 21. i was about to call pedo.
  • sundance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sundance polycounter lvl 18
    i didn't get it at all and thought it was seriously nuts.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I didn't get it at all, thought it was seriously nuts, and loved it to bits smile.gif
  • Mojo2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mojo2k polycounter lvl 18
    found the movie to be a boring piece of crap that was pretending to be deep and trendy cool.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    Looks great, sounds fantastic, helped massively by seeing it on an enormous cinema screen with one of the best sound systems i've ever come across. Which is odd for such a calm, understated film.

I was always surprised when people described it as a mind-fuck, i never had a problem with it.
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    the part where he's stabbing the mirror is probably one of the best eeriest moments in film I have have seen yet.

Great movie.

-R
  • SystemKrash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SystemKrash polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    found the movie to be a boring piece of crap that was pretending to be deep and trendy cool.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree completely.
  • ryan77
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ryan77 polycounter lvl 18
    but it was deep, trendy, and cool
  • Malekyth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malekyth polycounter lvl 18
    My grad student friend who teaches undergraduate English showed that film to her classes one week, for discussion. I was completely impressed with some of the ideas and interpretations that the class came up with, mainly because a lot of them sounded spot on while going way over my head! It does seem to be a great discussion type movie though, watch it and then spend some time at the coffee shop arguing about it.
  • lkraan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lkraan polycounter lvl 18
    I really enjoyed it but missed the whole "buzz" that's around it.

Really liked this movie called "The Butterfly Effect" that I saw the other day. Also with time jumping and stuff. I thought that it would really suck since Ashton Kutcher plays the main role but against all my expectations he and he movie were good.
  • swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swampbug polycounter lvl 18
    I was just introduced to Darko on an unrelatied note to this thread.. but it was a nice coincidence.

So I just watched it today.... yeah. The movie is definately tight. I got that same vibe from Requiem for a dream. I was always asking myself... is this real? or jsut in his head or what.

It had an excellent cast of characters and turn of events.
    awesome!