Home Technical Talk

Damn, Rendering Editors Suck in Maya...Texture?

NoSeRider
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
NoSeRider polycounter lvl 18
1st off I'm using an ATI 9500, so I'm probably encountering problems not associated with with Maya, but the Video Card.

Even so, all I want to do is apply a flat painted map to an object. The object is already UV Mapped.

Everytime I get a Lambert Material, click on Color-File and select File in 2D Textures I end up with:

Projection1
place3dTexture1
file1

The Object is already UV Mapped, and I don't understand why I need place3dTexture and Projection nodes, since those nodes distort the flat surface of the Texture Map?

Basically, I'm asking how do you place a texture map on a UV Mapped Object, in Maya?

I just say Suck because it's the shortest descriptive word I could put in the Header, since the Header can only be 50 characters long.

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Open Hypershade, go to the "Textures" tab, middle-click and drag the texture you want onto the model in the viewport. Then make sure Hardware Texturing is turned on in the viewport, and it should display.
    You need the place3dTexture1 node for any image file used as a texture, it's just the way Maya does things. I'm not sure about the Projection1 part, that might be standard too.
    Either way, middle-click and drag the texture onto the object, and all should be good.
  • Whargoul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whargoul polycounter lvl 18
    It's because you have it set to "projection" when creating the file node. Change it to "normal" and it uses your UVs. You can also turn off the "new texture placement" if you want, they allow you to adjust the tiling & rotation fo a texture with touching the UVs, but usually aren't needed.

createNode.jpg
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    You should be able to delete those nodes. When you create a lambert or any material you need to specify if you want the 3d texture as normal, projection, or stencil. You have As Projection clicked on. Switch that to normal and it should work fine. It's right here:

nosehshader.jpg
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha, Whargoul got in when I was doing a the fancy red circle and drop shadow.
  • NoSeRider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mayauv.gif
    hypergraph.gif

OK the 'normal' placement of texture worked! Thanks, but now I have to determine if what is happening is normal, or just a goof up.....hardware problem? ATI 9500 Video Card.

It seems the UV Editor displays the default ShaderGlow texture instead of the Checker Pattern. I tried clicking the Image - Display Image off and on several times in UV Texture Editor.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Try under the Image menu in the UV Texture Editor and switching UV Sets or Selected Images. I'm not really sure though I don't do much with ShaderGlow.
  • NoSeRider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    goofup.gif
    hypergraph.gif

I assign the Lambert2 material to object and UV Editor displays the Checker ball example......I'll have to test this on a computer that doesn't have an ATI 9500.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nose, I've seen that before and I can't remember for the life of me what the issue is. I'll work on it and try to get that sorted out.
  • NoSeRider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The UV Map Editor and Hypershader problem I have seem limited to my computer.

I did not get the same problem on a MacIntosh G4 Dual 1Ghz CPU system. Which Indicates its my ATI 9500 Video Card that is causing the problem.

Since I get all these quirks with the ATI card, Heads Up Display - Polycount don't work and Problems with Texture UV Editor Display, I bought a Nvidia Geforce 6800 over on Ebay for $ 200. Generally, I don't like spending over $150 on a video card, but $200 was a bargain for a non LE version, 12 pipline 128mb card. So, hopefully that'll solve the problem.

I have a Dual AMD MP 2400 CPU system....so, it's gotta be video card problems.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    I thought it was pretty well known/documented that ATI cards are a no no for Maya. Anyway, glad ya figured it out, even though the solution meant spending money. Still, 200 bucks for a 6800 gets a big thumbs up.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Maya 6 appears to be working fine on my Radeon 9800 Pro.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Well you are just a lucky freak then Paul! smile.gif

*edit* My God, I can't believe I'm editing my posts now because Im so scared of you. Had to capitalize the 'W' !!! smile.gif
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    That I am, that I am.
  • NoSeRider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mayaworks.gif

I just installed my Geforce 6800....and yes ATI 9500 sucks donkey balls.