Home General Discussion

I'm going to meet DAVE MUSTAINE!!

Soul_Reaper
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Soul_Reaper polycounter lvl 18
I just scored backstage passes to the Megadeth gig on London on Tuesday!

I'm going to meet my #1 all-time favourite band!!

I'M SO HAPPY!

Replies

• pogonip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pogonip polycounter lvl 18
    Not to be an ass but is that a big deal ?? Cause they have not been famous for like 27 years or soemthing ... congrates on meeting your fav band though smile.gif
  • Foehammer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Foehammer polycounter lvl 18
    big deal to him evidently...that's cool man! my all time would be to meet Tool or Primus. Gratz, that rocks!
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    ^
    Ass. tongue.gif

SR, that's pretty amazingly cool! Dave is really an interesting guy, and I think he still 'gets' the idea of metal a lot better than most. Got any questions you are planning to ask him? After Dimebag Darrell was killed in December, Dave posted on the Megadeth forum about how it had affected him, and he mentioned trying to get things straightened out with Metallica and Slayer. I'd love to know if anything has come of that; my metal days are more or less over and I haven't seen Megadeth live since 1999, but I'd travel as far as I had to if I could watch Dave, James and Lars playing together once more.

*edit*

Damn, Foehammer snuck in before my post went up, so I guess he's the ass now laugh.gif
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    You lucky f***ing bastard!!! ooo.gif Dave is THE heavy metal icon. Enjoy it dude. I'm hoping to catch his gig in DC in November.
  • Deimos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deimos polycounter lvl 18
    Wow...awesome Chris!! It's a shame my tickets are for the Wednesday night show, or we could have met up in London in the morning before the gig and caught up. Let me know how this turns out and make sure you remember to take awesome stuff for them to sign!! \m/
  • Nostradamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nostradamus polycounter lvl 18
    Sweetness! grats! ask him about his fav. album! laugh.gif
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    That's awesome. I hope you have a great time.

[ QUOTE ]
    big deal to him evidently...that's cool man! my all time would be to meet Tool or Primus. Gratz, that rocks!

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey wow, those happen to also be two of my favorite bands (I'm also a huge fan of most of Les Claypool's crazy side projects). I've seen Tool a couple times in concert, and just over a year ago I saw the first official concert of the original lineup of Primus in over 7 years at UC Davis. I didn't get to meet any of them frown.gif, but the Primus concert at UC Davis was a very small venue (the room was smaller than my grade school cafeteria) so I was only about 10-15 feet from Les smile.gif.

[edit] Oh yeah, and I also have a recording of the Primus concert that I went to (Oct. 14, 2003) in 24bit DVD audio FLAC, which is cool to listen to. They had official soundboard recordings available at primuslive.com, but Primus is so cool that they let people bring in recording equipment to the concert, so I got a bootleg version (of a surprisingly high quality). Primus is cool with the bootlegging, as long as people don't sell the recordings and share them freely. (here's the set list of the concert I saw)
  • sal_manilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sal_manilla polycounter lvl 18
    Yes it is a big deal! Metal is not mainstream but Mustaine is still one of the heavyweights in the rock guitar world. The man is an icon. It would be an honor to meet someone with that kind of talent. Good on ya Soul, ya lucky bastich.

BTW, Zakk Wylde is coming to Phila in April. He's another kick-ass guitarist (Black Label Society).

sal bEAST_GTR.gif
  • JonMurphy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonMurphy polycounter lvl 18
    That's great SR, be sure to post up a report the following day.

Haven't bought any Megadeth since 'Hidden Treasures', but I still enjoy a spin of the old stuff.
  • Ctrl+Awesome
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ctrl+Awesome polycounter lvl 18
    Thats awesome man. Congrats on getting those tix.

[ QUOTE ]

... but I'd travel as far as I had to if I could watch Dave, James and Lars playing together once more.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed.
  • Soul_Reaper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Right now I'm still in a state of euphoria knowing that in a few nights time I'm going to meet my hero!

I'm kind of agitated too, since today is Saturday and not Tuesday
    frown.gif

Still, I'm going to be bringing my Megadeth comic and the latest album to be signed, plus the newest Iced Earth CD since the bassist on this tour is James MacDonough, formerly of Iced Earth.

So I get 45 minutes of Diamond Head, 100+ minutes of Megadeth, then I get to meet everyone!

It's going to be the most awesome day EVER!
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    My mate was at the gig in Glasgow last Thursday. He said it rocked. Have fun!
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]

... but I'd travel as far as I had to if I could watch Dave, James and Lars playing together once more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dave would kick their ass for not being able to keep up. I am a Metallica fan, but that's just fact.
  • Soul_Reaper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow... That was a night to remember for the rest of my life.

We got into the venue about 7ish and loaded up on merchandise. I picked up my backstage pass from the box office, and for a few heartstopping moments 5 minutes later I thought I'd lost it. Relieved, I found it in my bag.

At 7:45 Diamond Head took the stage.
    These guys where fantastic, I can't remember their exact setlist though:
    Am I Evil Intro
    It's Electric
    It's Mine
    Heat Of The Night
    ????
    Broken Pieces
    Helpless
    Am I Evil

I'd give these guys 8/10, a fantastic performance.

Next up, was the main attraction: Megadeth.
    They came on at 9pm and immediatly let everyone know about it for 2 hours:

Blackmail The Universe
    Set The World Afire
    Skin O' My Teeth
    The Scorpion
    Wake Up Dead
    In My Darkest Hour
    Something That I'm Not
    Angry Again
    A Tout Le Monde
    Die Dead Enough
    Trust
    Tornado Of Souls
    Of Mice And Men
    Kick The Chair
    Hangar 18
    Back In The Day
    Sweating Bullets
    Symphony Of Destruction
    Peace Sells (first half)
    Mechanix
    Peace Sells (Second half)
    Paranoid
    Holy Wars

10/10, these guys where on form tonight! Definitely the best gig I've been to so far!

And then, 20 minutes later Megadeth came up to the VIP area to meet everyone!
    I had a quick chat with Dave, who is a super nice guy, and got him to sign my comic and take a picture!
    Then I met the Drover brothers and the Diamond Head bassist, before having a quick chat with James MacDonough. Then I had a last few words with Dave and a hearty handshake before departing for home.

I'll never forget this night!
    Pictures to follow!
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    We saw Hayseed Dixie on Sunday - then they invited the entire audience to the pub. The pub would hold about 100 folk, there were about 2,000 there. We went elsewhere and got wrecked.

Off to see The Bastards tonight, they have a habit of going to the nearest pub before and after their gigs.
  • JonMurphy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sounds like it was a great gig SR... nice to know they are still playing the old classics.
  • sal_manilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soul: that is outstanding! Can't wait for pics. Congrats, dood! smile.gif
  • Deimos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deimos polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome Chris!! Sounds like you had a great time.

The Wednesday night gig was also pretty amazing...although at times I felt the volume was a little *too* high...at least for the amps they had...the sound, particularly on some of the solos and vocals, was distorting and you could see on their faces they were not quite happy with the sound at some points...thankfully it seemed to get better as the gig went on and the whole thing was definately up there with the best gigs i've been to recently...I don't recall them playing Mechanix on the Wednesday frown.gif
  • Nerd Groupie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nerd Groupie polycounter lvl 18
    Holy crap am I jealous. I have yet to even see Megadeth in concert let alone meet them. Good lineup, but how did it sound? Dave is the only original left right? (damn I'm so out of the loop)
  • Soul_Reaper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah, it doesn't look like they played Mechanix last night, which is a bit odd
    :\

Nerd Groupie: They sounded amazing. Dave is the only original member left, but since Dave is THE original member and Dave IS Megadeth, it was still Megadeth I saw onstage that night.
  • Nerd Groupie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nerd Groupie polycounter lvl 18
    Oh yeah, I don't dispute that at all. (I saw Lynyrd Skynyrd for crying out loud) I just thought it would be odd without David.
  • Soul_Reaper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, they've got ex-Iced Earth bassist James MacDonough, who does a great job filling the void left by Ellefson.
  • Soul_Reaper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Woo!

Got my photos!!

james.jpg
    Me with bassist James MacDonough and some other guy

band.jpg
    Shawn Drover (Drummer), Adrian Mills (Diamond Head), Me, Glenn Drover (Guitarist)

dave.jpg
    Me and Dave Mustaine!!!!

That was a night to remember, and I can only hope I get another chance to meet hese guys again one day!
  • JonMurphy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Reaper has some facial fuzz going! smile.gif
  • Soul_Reaper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I think it looks cool so it's staying!
  • sal_manilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Holy crap, Soul. You are the lucky one! tongue.gif
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's awesome dude! A true rocker. You're ugly enough to be part of the band. \m/ ooo.gif \m/
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    holy crap soul.. it's creepy how much you look like my brother in those photos. with the long hair and two weeks of scruff... o.o

oh yeah, congrats on meeting your hero laugh.gif seriously cool.
    did you ask him if he liked Sailor Moon? teehee