Home› General Discussion

Ipod vs Zen

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
Tax time is here and I am thinking that I will use my return to finally purchase a portable mp3 player - namely an Ipod. However, I have looked a bit at the Creative Labs Zen as well. I know plenty of people who own and love thier Ipods but I don't know of anyone who owns a Zen. Anybody here own one or just have an opinion they care to contribute on the matter?

Replies

• Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha - I was thinking that instead but (AFAIK) the PSP doesn't have a hard drive.

I also am thinking that I want the Ipod Mini or the Zen Micro because the compact size will be good for the gym.

I also intend to use it as a "flash drive" for bringing work home. Anyone know if the Zen is firewire? I can't find anything on that.
  • JKim3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKim3 polycounter lvl 18
    I've heard alot of stuff about the crappy battery life of the iPod. That after about 3 months, it turns to shit and only lasts 3 hours. Anyone have any first-hand experience about this issue?
  • Lupey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lupey polycounter lvl 18
    I have a Zen Touch and compared it to my brothers Ipod
    With a good set of headphones the sound quality on the zen is well above the Ipod and it gets at least double the battery life
    Yes you can use it as an external harddrive
    Unfortunatly the Zen's dont have firewire anymore the original Nomad zens did but they dropped it
  • Soul_Reaper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soul_Reaper polycounter lvl 18
    I've got a Zen.

They fucking own.

You get more storage space for your money ($299 20gb iPod, vs $292 60gb Creative Zen)

You get a longer battery life.

When the battery does eventually die, you can click the cover off and replace it yourself.

You don't have to use iTunes.

The software you use is optional, windows picks it up as an external harddrive and ou can drag and drop your MP3s into it like that.

The software you use is, however, really good. I've got 10 gbs of music and the Zen makes it easy to manage on the move.

The only thing it doesn't have that the iPod does is inbuilt little mini-games, but really what's the point?

I regard the iPod as a fashion accessory rather than a serious MP3 player
    :P
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    Creative Labs all the way... I still have and use the first MP3 player they ever did: the Rio500 wink.gif

Apple... pfft never.
  • KMan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KMan polycounter lvl 18
    I know that the G3 ipods had issues with their batteries, but I haven't had any battery related problems on my 40GB G4.
  • Lupey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lupey polycounter lvl 18
    I say go with the Zen
    I mean who are you gunna trust to play your music
    A company that builds computers that only have a 5% market share and is only being kept a float by the Ipod
    Or the leading manufaturer and innovator of sound cards and computer audio technology
  • Nostradamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nostradamus polycounter lvl 18
    Creative here as well... and besides why would you want that ugly ass ipod? laugh.gif
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lupey: please keep the idiotic comments out of here. If you knew anything about it, you'd knew that was bullshit.
    I'm no raving Mac-fan, but i use them enough, and i know enough to know you're full of shit.
    And can we just drop it right there?
    No pc Vs. mac in a thread about Mp3-players? for once? yes? kthxbye.

Oh, i would also buy the zen. The Ipods love of DRM, and apple's constant "fixing" of third-party software (ie. making sure it doesn't work with the ipod) makes me fucking sick.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Nothing lupey said was idiotic, he's right. Trust a company who's business IS audio, not a company who's business is a gimmick.

'nuff said.
  • tone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tone polycounter lvl 18
    heh. all the chips, lcd's, platic, pc boards manufacturing and assembly is probably done by both companies in the same third world postal code, if not the same factory. See past the branding, lads.

as for me, I have an iriver. wish I'd saved my money at the time so I could ponder the issue seriously now with AZ. smile.gif

Actually, I got a PDA last year and I'm pretty happy with what it can do.. provided you have a requirement for portable email, browser, word, excel, notes, winamp + a handful of cd's worth of mp3s (limited by CF card size), a dictionary, downloaded novels, gps, etc. for roughly the same price. (gps add-on obviously not included in that price though.)
  • Lupey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lupey polycounter lvl 18
    I'm sorry if I offended
    I didnt mean it as an anti mac statement
    I just meant what adam there said trust a company that does audio
  • KMan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KMan polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    The Ipods love of DRM

[/ QUOTE ]

I still don't see how what this is about. I have had no problem getting any type of music onto my iPod. Is there something I'm missing? I'm using iTunes as well.

The only real issue I'm having is trying to get it to recognize all my audiobooks as audiobooks, and not music mp3's.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kman: i'm just going by what i've heard others bitch about on that point.
    And adam: he's not excactly right when he claims a company is only being kept afloat by the ipod, but i agree with going for a company who does audio. He just phrased it a bit retarded, that's all.
    Could someone elaborate on the drm stuff? i've heard some nasty shit about it, but i can't confirm any of it myself... or remember most of it, for that matter.
  • JBoskma
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JBoskma polycounter lvl 18
    pea is a macluvr, eeeyylllll :P
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the info and opinions all. Based on the feedback I've seen here and the research I've done I think I will probably go with the Zen.

Tone: I actually saw a few people recommend the iriver in some of the articles I read. You're not happy with yours?

Another question regarding the Zen: One of the articles I read said that you have to partition the HD for the amount of space you want to allocate to being an external HD. What's that all about?
  • Soul_Reaper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No idea, I haven't done anything like that with mine, and I've got mp3s for normal player usage and college work stored on there.

The software I got with it allows you to choose either to manage MP3 files, or data files much like a CD burning program would. Both allow you to just drag and drop files from one window into another and it just transfers it.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    There's also the MD95200 (Medion, 20GB) but I think it's not available where you live so it probably doesn't matter.
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    I know a bunch of people that have gotten the Ipod and wish they didn't, mostly due to the battery. I can't give any advice on the Zen, but it sure looks a lot better (especially the external HD ability).
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    the zen is really starting to look appealing--but soul, can you confirm what the guy on one of those amazon reviews mentioned? he says you can't create directories on the Zen, is that true? i hate using open directories for my mp3s, i always keep them scrupulously organized in nested dirs, that would seriously be a deal breaker for me. not that i'd buy an ipod, either, but a Zen at least looks interesting...
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    itunes drives me crazy. i cant just drag and drop music into my ipod i have to use itunes. it was way too expensive for what it is. i regret my ipod purchase.

-R
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jelmer: au contraire, i can't stand them for the most part.
    I hate os9 with a fucking BURNING passion. osx is pretty good though, but still: holy shit, i could probably randomly click everything without breaking anything, and that's NOT meant as a compliment.
    edit:
    "The Creative Nomad Zen Xtra MP3 Jukebox is actually an amazing MP3 player, if you can forgive its relatively large size (when compared to the iPod) and clunky user interface (again, when compared to the iPod)"
    What's this about, then? In the pictures it seems to be the exact same size as the ipod. Either that, or that persons hand is very large.
    If someone could answer Gauss, that'd be really cool, because while i hadn't heard that directory thing, if it's true i'll be majorly bummed out.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
  • tone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tone polycounter lvl 18
    doh, I wasn't aware iriver were making ipod knock-offs these days, mine's one of those old 128mb iFP-380 usb stick types.
  • Soul_Reaper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gauss:

You can't arrange them by directory per se, they all go into a root folder.

But the software that comes with it allows you to selectivly view only certain artists/albums/genres/playlists, etc from a handy menu on the left side of the screen. If you want I'll take some screenshots of it and send it to you if you want?

I mean I'm the same way in that all my MP3s are catagorised in folders, but I don't notice at all that I can't do that on the Zen.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    soul: fair enough. i don't have any pressing need or desire for an mp3 player, but i think i'll consider the Zen as the primary contender. thanks smile.gif
  • Soul_Reaper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Jes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jes polycounter lvl 18
    Now if only Creative Labs didn't have HUGE problems with firmware malfunctioning... poly109.gif

Their MuVo Micro's have been deemed mostly unusable over at Nomadness.net, due to bad playback, constant shutting down and such. Several threads over at Creative's own forums have been either locked or deleted because of complaints about malfunctioning firmware.

Currently, my own Micro N200 has to have it's firmware rewritten every 2-3 days, otherwise I'll have a constantly shutting down player while at work. frown.gif
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "Well with ipods, new and old, you can copy the mp3's from the ipod to your harddrive if you have disk mode enabled. The mp3's are just in a hidden folder, like a system folder, so you have to have windows explorer set so you can view hidden folders. And all the mp3's will be numbered, not named. I use Ephpod to manage my ipod, and you can copy music from your ipod to your harddrive with ephpod, and it will create directories for each artist and rename the mp3 file to the correct song name."
    So as long as Apple doesn't kill off this software with another 'update', the ipod doesn't seem so bad.
    But if i would have to choose, i'd go for something that with a little bit of freedom.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    I got a zen micro and whats even better is they gave me a spare battery and I can swap em like cell phone batteries !