Home General Discussion

Timeless Classics

ryan77
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
ryan77 polycounter lvl 18
Well over this past weekend I was rummaging through my pc games and I happened apon Fallout 1, 2, and tactics. After installing Tactics and playing it through the entire weekend I realized I could never become tired of this series.

Only a few other games like x-com apocalypse have ever done this for me.

Do you guys have any favorites like this?

Replies

• Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    Dungeon Keeper 2, I will never be tired of that game.

Another one, although not really too old, is Vice City, something about that game just doesn't get old to me.

Any old FPS is also a classic to me, I can play them whenever, and usually beat them in a day.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
  • kleinluka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kleinluka polycounter lvl 18
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    pacman
    just the theme music makes me happy. takes me back to a time when I was a young lad spending my days at the local arcade.

pong
    can always be reinvented. and no one will ever admit they're playing a tennis simulator

mario 3
    best of the best

joust
    probably the first game I ever played back on the atari. it's still kicking my ass.

megaman2
    the best bad guys...ever!
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    Battlezone. 1 quarter for 2 and a half hours of tank-like bliss.

Scott
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    There's only 1 game that stands out above all the others... Full Throttle.

I have NO idea why but this game, although extremely linear, has burned a spot in my brain as an ever lasting memory of gaming goodness. The story, the sound, the overall atmosphere of a postapocalyptic (sp?) world done with the Lucas touch really appealled to me. It's unfortunate the sequel was cancelled.
  • Lupey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lupey polycounter lvl 18
    Galaga/Galaxian I see one of these and I hafta play at least 1 game

And of course it never stops at one game
    I even went as far as buying one but still if I'm out and I see one I must play
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    joust
    probably the first game I ever played back on the atari. it's still kicking my ass.

megaman2
    the best bad guys...ever!

[/ QUOTE ]

Fuck yeah!

It's all about Joust for the Atari. It's all about bustin out the old Atari for a good time.
  • ironbearxl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbearxl polycounter lvl 18
    Vandal Hearts and Wipeout XL. Also, I bought Final Fantasy 7 (played a million times) from gamestop last week for 17 bucks and i'll be getting Vagrant Story (never played) probably tommorrow.
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    I can't stop playing Bionic Commando, Jagged Alliance: Deadly Games or Quake even if it's just the old dos executable on a p100 even with my obviously superior athlon ready with new games i didn't finish
  • Jeff Gran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Gran polycounter lvl 18
    Mario 1,3 and World
    DKC 1 and 2
    any 2d megaman
  • Asthane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asthane polycounter lvl 18
    I wish I could get System Shock (1) working on modern systems. I need to hear more of Shodan's lovely voice wink.gif
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I wish I could get System Shock (1) working on modern systems. I need to hear more of Shodan's lovely voice wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

DOSbox it. Worked for me!

(Yeah it did work for me, but it was quite slow - Pentium rec'd games on a athlon 950 isn't fast.)
  • Quasar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quasar polycounter lvl 19
    Carmageddon 2, and TDR2k! I played the demo for C2 for two years, haha... confused.gif
  • lkraan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lkraan polycounter lvl 18
  • Soul_Reaper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soul_Reaper polycounter lvl 18
    For me, my all-time favourite game is Guardian Heroes on the Saturn.

I still haven't seen every route the game offers
  • tone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tone polycounter lvl 18
    Ikraan, agreed.

I looked Millennium up a couple of weeks ago because it was something that I remembered as being fun 10 (15?) years ago, but I'll be buggered if I can figure out how to use it again.
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    System shock 1 (on a P4 3.2 gig rig - like taking the kids to school in a hummer). Terranova - linear, squad based jointed-sprite freekiness. System Shock 2, still scaring the bejeesus out of me. Consoles don't really figure for me, except MGS1 on the Playstation, and starwing on the snes.
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thermidor polycounter lvl 18
    ahh yes , Millenium, that was a great 1 ,

the girlfriend and i are just playing through Doom 1 coop , i had forgoten how great it is , better than doom 2 i think ....

i quite like darius 2 on the saturn , it was a almost perfect arcade conversion ... how on earth i used to complete it tho i dont know ...

anyone liked Paradroid? on the C64

Ooh , i just remembered , Xcom apocalipse, ufo series , and laser squad on the amiga ... cool.gif
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    Fallout 1 & 2 defenintely, but i cant play singleplayer tactics for too long, i usually only install that one for lan parties. Among 'newer classics' i've got to say mafia, i must play through that at least two or three times a year.
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hollowmind polycounter lvl 18
    Most of the Golden Box AD&D games like Pool of Radiance, Curse of the Azure Bonds, Secret of the Silver Blades, etc. I'd still play the shit out of those if I had a comp slow enough. I remember fondly making maps of each area on graph paper and fighting 100 kobold battles and taking out like 30 of them with a well placed fireball, hehe.

Recently I picked up a miniature Sega Genesis with 6 games built into it. 3 of them being Altered Beast, Golden Axe, and Sonic The Hedgehog. Been playing those a lot over the last couple of weeks. Fun stuff. I miss the old consoles. Played the hell out of those games in my teen years.

Also, I have a copy of Dragon's Lair on DVD that you can play on any DVD player with the remote. That game just never gets old.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Golden Axe, from Sega. A dwarf, a hot chick, and a big 'ol barbarian, hunting down creatures. How can you go wrong?

Skyfox for Commadore64, as well as PCpenpals, which was
    quite an advanced sims-esque game for the time.

Mortal Kombat 2 (best version evah!)

The original Wipeout, Twisted Metal, and Destruction Derby on PS1.

IQ - a twisted puzzle game on PS1. Wasn't very popular, but it kicked ass!
  • Foehammer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Foehammer polycounter lvl 18
    my favorites are Out of this World and Flashback for the Genesis/SNES era, I wish they'd make a port to the ds or GBA for those games, on PC i'd have to go with System Shock 2 and X-Com
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Hm... Not much... I'd go with Quake, Donkey Kong (1994 SGB version), Super Mario World, Super Mario Land, Total Annihilation, Katakis and Giana Sisters. Perhaps Dynatech. But I don't play any of those much anymore.
  • TechSmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TechSmith polycounter lvl 18
    Master of Orion2. I can play it over and over forever. Diablo1, Dungeon keeper 1,2, and C&C red alert all fall into the category of never gotten tired of.
  • Malekyth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malekyth polycounter lvl 18
    My list of replayables is System Shock 2, Commandos, Dungeon Keeper 2, and Fallout 1 and 2. I'm not such a fan of Tactics, but remember multiplayer being a lot of fun when the teams were balanced (and Cricket wasn't cheesing his characters out just for the sake of breaking the game ... bad, bad, bug!).

Mafia is one I don't actually own -- played it from the game library here at work -- but totally love and will play again sometime. I've been thinking about it lately. Fuck it! Buying my own copy tonight!
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    you've got a pretty good list as it is...

Fallout 1, 2. X-Com. X-Wing and Tie Fighter, the best space sims then or really now...

in adventure there'd be the Space Quest games, Sam and Max, and Full Throttle.
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    Oh yeah, any of the old Lucas Arts Adventure games have such an awkward replay value. It's more like watching a movie you enjoy rather than playing a game, because there's only one way to do certain things in them.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Dungeon Keeper 2, I will never be tired of that game.

[/ QUOTE ]
    2?
    No way! 2 was pretty bland compared to DK1. Coincidentally, i just re-installed dk1 this weekend, and i have played for so long, my eyes started to hurt.
    I never played Fallout, but i've always wanted to. Is there a demo?
    i'm pretty sure i could get into it, it always seemed like an amazing game to me.
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    I just remembered,

the first Civilization. I could play that game for days without stopping.
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Team Fortress Classic.

Seriously some of the best team gameplay ever. Installed it the first time in about 99, and was so hooked I had to uninstall it because my wife was about to divorce me. Installed it the next summer, same problem. Forgot about it for about 2 years, then did it again. I've mastered every player class, and can even dominate a round going as a pyro. (And for any of you who have played it, this ought to tell you something wink.gif )

Even though the graphics are crap, but it just has such fun gameplay that I can't resist it now and then.
  • Slayerjerman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slayerjerman polycounter lvl 18
    I played some mutha fuckin' Double Dragon last night...Im still bad ass at that game. cool.gif

Contra 1...im not so hot at anymore..

My old skool fav has to be 1943 or Gradius. Lifeforce for NES was badass too. OHHHH yeah baybee.
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yes , gradius in the arcade .... a pile of 10p coins a couple of anoying kids hitting the p2 start buttons hoping to join in a 1 player game, or steal your credits some how ... and maybe a dirty ash tray with some un-known brown substance in it... this is the way such games were meant to be played smile.gif (Ramsgate, Kent in the 80s)

then came street fighter , and for 2 years i played it every day .. eek
  • usagi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    usagi polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Team Fortress Classic.

[/ QUOTE ]
    no way. its all about the quake teamfortress, well ok mega tf. i played that for years

i still love mario 64, deus ex, adn zelda 3

i cant beleive that no one has said anything about goldeneye. ive spent whole summers in the complex gunning poeple down with - 4 health and turbo mode
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 19
    FALLOUT 1/2, PLANESCAPE TORMENT, DOOM2...

I think theres a demo for Fallout 1 somewhere, but both the company that made it and the company that published it are out of business... so u might have a hard time finding it... hell the retail copies are hard to find... just about the only place to get it is ebay.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Fallout was in quite a few games compilations, I got both from the Gold Games compilation and a second copy of two with a magazine, I think.
  • parasyte7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    parasyte7 polycounter lvl 19
    No particular order just some random games i liked...Herzog is still the greatest game of all time, PERIOD! First Real Time Strategy game ever...before Dune.

Herzog Zwei (Genesis)
    Mortal Kombat 2 (Arcade)
    X-Men Arcade Game (2 Screen Version)
    Donkey Kong (Coleco Version)
    Wonderboy in Monster Land (Sega Master System)
    Super Mario Bros 1 and 3 (Nes)
    Streets of Rage 2(Genesis)
    Golden Axe 3 (Arcade)
    RBI Baseball (Nes)
    Final Fantasy 7 (PS1)
    Suikoden (PS1)
    Resident Evil 1 (PS1)
    Sonic the Hedgehog 1 and 2 (Genesis)
    Zaxxon (Coleco)
    Popeye (Coleco)
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ahhh yes suikoden , 1 & 2 are great smile.gif
  • lkraan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lkraan polycounter lvl 18
    Forgot all about Commando for the Commodoore 64. Played that so much that whenever that title pops in my head I hear its annoying fast paced music and it won't leave my head. Yep...there we go again blush.gif
  • cochtl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cochtl polycounter lvl 18
    Super Metroid, Super Mario World, Aliens (the arcade game), and something a bit more "recent", Castlevania: SoTN

Those have to be my all time favorites.

I could beat Aliens all the way through with one quarter and as for the other 3, I love em for the fact that they had so much to gather and explore. You could beat those games by the skin of your teeth, or you could gather everything up and totally trounce the boss baddies at the end (mario wasn't really like that, but it had a vast and colorful world)
  • HarlequiN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HarlequiN polycounter lvl 18
    Paradroid - the original, not Paradroid 90, although that's pretty good too
    Frontier - Graphics have ages terribly, but it's still an impressive game, and officially shareware now too!
    Maniac Mansion - an imressive amount of gameplay for such a small environment, plus you can play it through again with different characters and get different puzzles - genius!
    System Shock 2 - Scariest game ever made in a give you chills 3 days after you finished it kinda way - Doom 3, res evil, silent hill and such are damn scary, but not *after the fact
    dammit!
    Monkey Island 1 & 2 - Just as funny now as they were then.
    The Ultimate Doom - Urm, hello, it's fucking *Doom!
    Duke Nukem3D - Exceptional level design even by todays standards... actually, better than a lot of todays ones, and a lot more interactivity than you'll usually see. Yeah, Duke is Top - wish I could still run it.
    Descent - Nothing like it before or since, mind fuckingly twisty, and great to play once you got your head around the controls.
    Mercenary (and sequels) - the first 3D "open world" games (as opposed to "open space") I think. Blow up anything, go anywhere, destroy the Playar Commander Brother-in-laws life, and all while solving basically one big puzzle. Or 12 big puzzles in Damocles I guess... Oh, and this one's FREE! ( http://mercenarysite.free.fr/mddclone.htm )

Urm, yeah, that's not all of them IMO, but it's all I have time to write...