Home General Discussion

Recruiters, Any experiences?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
Hey Guys, I just wanted to know if any of you have had any experiences with recruiters? Was it positive, negative? Do companys really even give any attention to them? or am I better off doing things myself?
Thanks.

Replies

• poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    They managed to get Tubboy a job, so some of them HAVE to be good at pushing people to developers.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Every time weve had people come in from recruiters they suck.

You dont need a recruiter Josh.
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    I got my first job through an agency, so I can honestly say they are useful some times.
  • Bradfordart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bradfordart polycounter lvl 18
    I talked briefly with one who cantacted me through gamasutra, about 2 months aftwards they contacted me backing saying they found a company that wanted a phone interview but I was already hired by then. Slow progress wink.gif
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Positive two times in getting me a good job. Maybe I suck balls? smile.gif

That being said, the last time they didn't have to do much pushing, they just gave me a list of places that were hiring and asked me if I was interested in any. I picked a few, they made the initial contact and I took it from there. 3 interviews, 3 offers.
  • FatAssasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FatAssasin polycounter lvl 18
    Never had any luck with them. I don't know, maybe you have to be good or something. smile.gif
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    it depends on the person. I have heard good things and bad things. I have no good stories to tell about recruiters.

-R
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    I have bad stories about Aardvark Swift over here - they never listened to what I wanted, they kept contacting me after I had a job to go for worse ones. They offered me junior positions in expensive areas at salaries several thousands ounds below what I was currently on.

OPM, I cannot fault. They placed me in my first job, and let me know what was out there the last time. Also, when I was Ubi they visited the studio to see what kind of place it was. They wre at ECTS at the stand close to ours and came across to see how I was getting on.
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    Rick, I can see that happening. Im working with two recruiting agencies right now, one of them dosent really listen. They got me an art test for a character artist at a sweet studio, but It requires knowledge of how to rig and skin weight with maya. I specifically told the recruiter I know enough about maya to do environment art, but when it comes to characters I would rather work in a max studio.
    The second recruiter is sending me stuff left and right.And so far has always asked my permission before they give my info to somebody.
    Overall, They are just doing what I could do myself. I bet they just look at gamasutra or someother gameartist job page and submit my info to the hiring companys. I still have to do the art test. But I guess its' cool to have someone find the jobs for me.
  • Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bronco polycounter lvl 18
    Im also in contact with recruiters,not had any bad exsperiences as such yet.

Rick im surprised by Aardvark swift so far they have been pretty good with me,though i havent heard much recently from them but that doesn't bother me as my art direction is changing slightly at the moment.The one job I did decide to go for they got into contact with the studio imediatily and let me know I hadn't got the job afew days later....

Im also using datascope,they send me updates on job opening on almost a daily basis,unfortunatily none of them have fitted my criteria or i wouldn't have the skill (many lead artist positions going) to do the job so i can't really say how good they are with forwarding stuff or there genral efficientcy.

John