Home General Discussion

Comcast increases speed..holy crap!!

sal_manilla
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
sal_manilla polycounter lvl 18
These people continue to blow me away. When I originally subscribed I had a down speed of about 1,700 kbps and up @ 128. I got another increase a year ago of 256 up. Now they "give" me a new down towards 4 mbps and I measured the up at 370 kbps. I luv these people. smile.gif Mind you I only pay $59 + tax a mo. including my tee vee hook-up (no premium channels). Ain't that sumpin'? I just wanted to share my joyeeeeee. laugh.gif

Replies

• oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    set up a ut server!
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    I hate living in the communication monopol infested country called Germany (Telekom is the worst) frown.gif
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mishra polycounter lvl 18
    jesus christ in a bucket.

i get 1700 kbps down but it's like 30 bucks a month. 4mbps down would be so awesome.
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    uh...is this for all Comcast customers? If so, I prolly need to reboot my router.

and WOOO!
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    I haven't noticed a speed increase. What do you guys use to track data rates?
  • Lupey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lupey polycounter lvl 18
    3 megs down 412k upload SBC dsl and I only pay 35 a month

but I live in the middle of north hollywood:P
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Nope it's not for all Comcast users at all. it varies... Some people like me have some serious issues with their cable connection. I get the service through Earthlink which pays Comcast a fee... I can't play games online anymore because my connection some how becomes unstable. It only does it when I try to play games or share files, even if there is no router being used. I can still download 100 meg files in a few minutes. I don't know what up.... Grrr. If anyone knows how to fix this it let me know. No I can't get rid of Earthlink since I share the connection costs and until I have a better job it's not an option. Later.

Alex
  • Slayerjerman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slayerjerman polycounter lvl 18
    I have comcast and get about 3mbit download and like a shitty 25kbs upload. UPLOAD is just as important as download, especially for gaming.

Their upload BLOWS and thats just how it is. I also have connectivity issues typically on the weekends *or* right when im in the middle of some online game...serious pissed me off last night when the fucking POS went out *again*.

FUCK YOU COMCAST and your fucking bullshit about not "supporting" home networks and making people pay $5 extra for a 'second' computer (IP addy)...

...Download is nice i'll admit. ;/

I use this to test my speed
    http://us.mcafee.com/root/speedometer/default.asp
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    I love Roadrunner, because I've had about 5mbps down and 500kbps since I've got it.
  • FatAssasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FatAssasin polycounter lvl 18
    I have Comcast too and got these numbers from
    dslreports.com Tests

2005-01-29 23:55:32 EST: 2498 / 193
    Your download speed : 2558412 bps, or 2498 kbps.
    A 312.3 KB/sec transfer rate.
    Your upload speed : 197990 bps, or 193 kbps.

Not bad, but not great either.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    I use COX, and i have three computers all using the net rite now, and this is what i just got.

2005-01-30 03:08:22 EST: 4035 / 498
    Your download speed : 4132419 bps, or 4035 kbps.
    A 504.4 KB/sec transfer rate.
    Your upload speed : 510484 bps, or 498 kbps.

viva la COX! full cable and 5mb cable for 80 a month.
  • sal_manilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sal_manilla polycounter lvl 18
    One question.....I've never gotten a download faster than 300-400kbps so is it any big deal to up the D/L speed up to 3-4 mbps? I'm more tickeled with the upload speed to see how many peeps I can get into a Q3 server. smile.gif
  • pogonip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pogonip polycounter lvl 18
    Ehhh to bad Microsoft.com is he only place I have seen where you could even use your full bandwidth for downloading . Ever other server I have come across for downloading trailers,games or anything large usually always cap at max 400kb/sec downloads ...maybe a few times in the past years I have seen it get faster. It's nice having all that band but whats the point when nobody uploads that fast ?
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    I'm using Charter Cable modem service. I've got the 3MB plan, $40 a month. Upload is only about 50KB/sec though. My download speed varies, but it's usually between 350-450KB/sec.
  • robioto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    robioto polycounter lvl 18
    " I have comcast and get about 3mbit download and like a shitty 25kbs upload. UPLOAD is just as important as download, especially for gaming.

Their upload BLOWS and thats just how it is. I also have connectivity issues typically on the weekends *or* right when im in the middle of some online game...serious pissed me off last night when the fucking POS went out *again*.

FUCK YOU COMCAST and your fucking bullshit about not "supporting" home networks and making people pay $5 extra for a 'second' computer (IP addy)..."

I had Comcast when I lived in Seattle, and I routinely had problems with my home network. One night I eventually I got a tid bit of information from the tech guy after talking to him for about 15 minutes. He eventually told me that the problem was my router cloning the wrong ip address. The service was originally set up on a mac which I later connected to a router and added other computers.

What was happening was that when the mac was off and the pcs were restarted the router was cloning itself to one of the pc ethernet addresses. The solution was to either turn on the mac and restart the router with the pcs disconnected or (the easier solution I discovered) was to disconnect the pc ethernet cables and reboot the router which solved the problem.

It took a long time fo rme to find out what the problem was. The frustrating thing for me was that I had @home, ATTBI, which later became Comcast for several years. When I first signed up under excite @home they supported home networks, it wasn't until Comcast purchased them that they stopped support. It's the same exact service so the change in policy has more to do with them not wanting to spend the time on tech support than any change in technology that prevents home networks from working.

You can have a home network on Comcast without having to spend the extra money per PC, it's just that they won't help you if you run into problems.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Cox Cable Modem service in Las Vegas:
    4137kbps down
    1605kbps up
    Wahoo!