Home General Discussion

Ads in Games

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
What your take in this? Personally it bugs the hell out of me since I am paying for the game in the first place. I don't mind Wild Tangents idea though or cheaper of free games that make revenue via this method.

Sure Hollywood does it, but doesnt mean we have to mimick everything they do?

It also has the potential to restrict what games are published because of the fact that alternate universes/fantasy wont work with having ads in the game.

Replies

• KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Do I mind ads?
    If it hurts my experience, yes. If it violates my fundamental right to privacy, hell yes. If I don't get a return (i.e. cheaper games) for accepting those ads, go to hell and burn.
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    I dont mind the ads, if they are done as part of the enviorment (like billboards, drink cans etc.).
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    I prefer the parody ads.

I'd rather not play a game where the objective is to drink pepsi to regain "health", and wear nike's to increase "athletic performance". Of course, using FREE AOL CD's as deadly projectile weaponry sounds fun. Unlimited ammo.
  • sundance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sundance polycounter lvl 18
    AOL cds as weapons, ROFLMAO. good one ely!
  • Soul_Reaper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soul_Reaper polycounter lvl 18
    I vehemently object.

These fuckers are shoving their goddamn products in my face at every chance they get.

When I check my mail, I get shit loads of spam
    When I listen to the radio, I hear adverts
    When I wait for the bus, there's an advert on the side of the shelter
    When I'm on the bus, there's adverts on the walls
    When I walk to college or work, there's adverts on billboards
    When I watch TV, there's adverts
    When I watch a movie there's adverts
    When I walk through town, people wear designer clothes with adverts on them
    Magazines, books, newspapers, postal mail, e-mail, everywhere I go there's somebody trying to convince me to part with my money, like they perceive my money as theirs and I'm just borrowing it!

I know some people say that adverts in games make it feel more realistic, and having real products helps make it more believable, but I play games to get away from real life and all the damn marketing!
  • sundance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well, just cos you see the ads, doesn't mean you have to buy the stuff, or do you have that littel self-control, like some little kid going 'oo, shiny, want it!'?
  • Soul_Reaper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soul_Reaper polycounter lvl 18
    No, I already know what I'll be buying with my money, ads very very rarely influence any of my purchasing decisions.

However, they still get shoved in my face at every opportunity. These days I can't even enjoy a movie without some company trying to get me to spend my money on whatever crap they're peddling
  • iMag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iMag polycounter lvl 18
    I'm with Toomas, as long as it's out of the way. Ad revenue can help pay for the seemingly rising cost of games. Ad's are probably going to become more and more a part of everyday gaming as a way to pay for a couple more employees to get the art and such done for a game in a reasonable amount of time.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Actaully sundance psychologically its more complicated than that. The name brand is stuck in your head. So even if you dont want it, doesnt mean it hasnt effected you.

Soul, if you feel that way.. http://www.adbusters.org

imag, again, what about the effect of title/genre limitation so they can have that revenue?

They will charge the same price, or increase it no matter what. I noticed the past 6 months that premium titles have raised to the $54 dollar mark versus the $50.

There is a title already coming out that costs the same. Example? The new Splinter Cell for PC will have ads.

Don't forget, they had ads and Mcdonalds in Sims online. What happened? People actually started having their sims protest in front of the virtual version. Something a company paying for adverts doesnt want.
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thermidor polycounter lvl 18
    I agree with KDR, if this gets in there , how long will it be before games are being made to advertise alone ...

what way does this benefit the games or the gamer?

i stoped watching tv to get away from advertising , i dont read magazines, i really hope im not bugged to buy crap while playing games.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    If it lowers the price of the game, sure. If it doesn't then they can go fuck themselves.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Ads won't lower the price of games, why would it. You don't see comic books costing any less even though they are full of freaking ads. It would be just a way for the suits to save on cash, make more money and yes put more ads in our face. I like the fake ads cause they can be funny at times.... Later.

Alex
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I agree with KDR, if this gets in there , how long will it be before games are being made to advertise alone ...

what way does this benefit the games or the gamer?

i stoped watching tv to get away from advertising , i dont read magazines, i really hope im not bugged to buy crap while playing games.

[/ QUOTE ]

They have always done ads in games. Anyone remember the "Cool spot" game for the genesis? that was more than 10 years ago. There are tones of Ad games on various websites to this day.

If it makes games cheaper to buy, then go for the ads. if it does not change the price, and if it limits genres, then No ads. simple as that. other than that I am all in favor of exuberant capitalism.

Scott
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mishra polycounter lvl 18
    as long as they have no penis having frog thing making moped noises NOR sir mixalot singing about the products, then sure, go ahead.

also: no bling queen or rims.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    it's all about dnL and the Element... and a bunch of "sellout punk bands" as my friend calls them...
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Thermidor: Ad games already existed on the C64, I'm sure there are even older ones. The most popular one was Moorhuhn, which was released for free and now costs 2€ (I'm sure you can get it for free somewhere. It's a fucking ad, charging money for it is a ripoff).

oXY: Well, I for one avoid brands I know from the ads because I know they'd rather put their money in advertising than the product itself and usually hike up the price. Noname stuff is always cheaper and often better. Well, except for computer hardware and other critical stuff but I take that as a given.

BTW, I'm already annoyed by the ATI and NVidia ads in front of the games (though I'm annoyed by any form of intro except the game intro itself)
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i know ads have been around in games for a long time .. but i thought this was a "what if ads became common", or even ordinary type thing ... you know , where the ads are in your face and intrucive .... ive not played manny games where ive seen an ad and felt it was intrucive , but if advertisers start forking out lots of monney to developers , then this is what will happen , and for me , it will put me off gameing ...
  • FatAssasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FatAssasin polycounter lvl 18
    So I guess you guys won't be attending the, "Advertising In Games Forum".

"The conference program features discussions from both the agency/client and game developer perspectives, and will attempt to provide information on how advertising can add realism and revenue to games..."

The real world has ads, games are always trying to better emulate the real world, therefor games should have ads. Makes sense to me. confused.gifconfused.gif
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i suppose ads that are in a gaming environment , like say a billboard in Hl2 or something , that’s ok ... but what if the advertisers want to have a bigger share of the picture , by giving more money ... say coke want to advertise in a game like hl2 , but they don’t want there symbol destructible ... so anything in hl2 with coke on becomes a immovable unrealistic part of the world ...
    I’m not sure , but i think gran turismo had a thing a bit like this ... originally the developers wanted the cars to crunch up a bit when racing too hard and scratching up the paintwork , but some of the car companies said they didn’t want there cars to be destructible in any way , because it portrays a bad image of the company ... or something like that ...

the other thing that is a pet hate of mine at the moment , is logos at the beginning of games ... i played LOTR - BFME a while back , and the first time you play it there are about 5 or so un-skipable logo sequences , and 2 that are un-skipable always , unless you want to hack about with it ... the THX one being the most annoying , there’s certainly no reason i would want to know THX has anything to do with the sound on the game , especially every time i play it ... its advertising , and its in my face and intrusive ...

i think when it comes down to it , we all wouldn’t mind the advertising if it was subtle , but lets face it , that’s exactly the opposite of what the advertisers want .
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    [ QUOTE ]
    it's all about dnL and the Element... and a bunch of "sellout punk bands" as my friend calls them...

[/ QUOTE ]

flaagan, you didn't like the music in ssx3? I thought it was great as did my girlfriend and many other people. Well I really wanted to get a free case of dnL but the drink wasn't even released in Canada when we shipped that game. My favourite part was when 7up sent us the dnL logo, they gave it to an object modeler to put on a billboard and he thought it was a 7up logo so he flipped the texture right side up! Har, once everyone saw it in game it had to be put back upside down, then we received countless bugs from QA telling us we had upside down 7up ads in our game. I don't mind ads in games at all, it adds more realism to the world in most games, what I don't like is when we only get 1-2 license deals and then we have to plaster one million of the same ad all over the game making it look lame. I think the reason to put real ads in games is to make them more appealing to the masses, for example I think users of NBA Street3 would be more excited to create a Reebok or Nike shoe in the shoe creator feature than a no name brand one, I don't think the deals to use ads are all that lucrative actually, and the really big name sponsors ask for ridulous features to be added to the game to sell their product so those guys usually get cut because they try to make the game all about what they are selling. Also if we start seeing Burger King ads in Final Fantasy that will be lame because it would not occur in that universe, but Need For Speed you would see that stuff in real life so why not in the game?
  • Jes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jes polycounter lvl 18
    I like how McDonalds appeared in NFS: Underground - that kind of commercializing is fine by me..

However, I LOATHE the unskippable-game-intro-commercial's that are ATI! >:O
  • sundance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, cos nVidia is better than ATi...
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mishra polycounter lvl 18
    yes because never have i seen an nvidia, the way it's meant to be played ad in a game.

oh wait i always do
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    i am against having ads in videogames.

arguing that real world advertisements are a positive element of immersion is not true in my eyes because i am extremely annoyed by any type of advertisement; as a whole, i don't like them. i don't really want to die in a game because it's more real either wink.gif

if your goal is to annoy this player, add them into your art direction. what is the purpose of your game design? is it some deep artistic meaning? more fun? (<-NOT!) fiscal survival? fiscal hunger? .. hey, to those that decide: it's your game.

i think advertisements have a place if they fit the art direction. (hyper realistic city or something)

i find unwanted advertisement disruptive, especially if they are flashy/noisy/pollutive and aren't entertaining or meaningful. give me peace and quite for christ sakes.
  • The3DGuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The3DGuy polycounter lvl 18
    advertising is everywhere and will continue to be. people today aren't nearly as personally effected by advertising as they were 50 years ago. today people can generally block them out which makes it harder for the advertisers to make money. if you change the channel during a commercial you miss out on a product you may buy and the company doesn't get your money and may lose money on the advertisment. advertising is alot of jobs. i don't mind seeing them as long as they don't really get in the way. some people need the job.
  • Wrath
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wrath polycounter lvl 18
    If anything, the retail price of games is going to go up. It's stayed at relatively the same level ($50-$60) for decades, despite the fact that it now requires a vastly more significant investment to produce a game. This has been generally offset by increasing number of game sales overall, but this is only going to continue to get worse as the technological requirements and expectations of gamers skyrocket. Selling advertising space in games isn't going to reduce the cost you pay for a game, but it might help allevieate some of the financial risk of making one in the first place.

Honestly, I'm more worried about games becomoing nothing more than glorified tech demos; rehashing tired ideas and genres, and complete murder of innovation in game design or art direction. Much more than I worry about having to put up with a Nike billboard in Grand Theft Auto 9: Albuquerque.
  • Jes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jes polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    yeah, cos nVidia is better than ATi...

[/ QUOTE ]At least the nVidia ones can be skipped... poly109.gif
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    I love seeing those Nvidia "the way it's meant to be played" logos in my games while I'm using an ATI 9800 Pro that kicks hardcore ass. it's like walking into a Burger King while eating a BigMac.
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    I bet it'd be a good marketing idea to place ads in loadtimes for games. I mean it's almost perfect, because a load time is like the commerical for a game, though as games get faster and systems more powerful then load times will be shorter if there would be any at all.
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so you would get un-necessary loading screens? eek , that would be bad ...
  • jdevin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jdevin polycounter lvl 18