Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

A little Head test

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Thermidor polycounter lvl 18
was trying out some new modeling tech, i bet no one can guess who its ment to be.

vin-1.jpg

i really think i need some c&c on this 1 ...

Replies

• Irritant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irritant polycounter lvl 18
    Captain Picard? Hahha, ok, Vin Deisel!

Seriously though, pretty good likeness. Seems to be a bit of weirdness in the edge loops around the mouth, but that's not a big deal. My only crit is that the ear looks a little off. Lobe is not defined enough, and the piece of cartilage above it is either too high or shaped a little wrong maybe.
  • Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bronco polycounter lvl 18
    hey thermidor.

I can't guess who it is....

thats said its not a bad model,personally I think the forhead,as it loops round need to slightly more curved as right now it looks to straight to me,also,though i have the same problem,the ear connection to the head doesn't look right apart from that its not bad.

Any chance of side and front views directly as it would be easier to crit smile.gif

Good job so far though.

john

Edit:- Irritant beat me to it...
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok , it is meant to be vin-d heres the front/side views

vin-2.jpg
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    So what is this new modeling tech. exactly? Ugly use of n-sided(n>4) polygons? tongue.gif

Anyways, front side looks good, the the side view is too flat. and the ear doesn't look like an ear at all (at least the wire, it is saved a bit by the texture).
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Owch smile.gif
    these are before mesh smooth , i think 5 sided polys smooth well ...

and yes , the ear is a bit odd .... just lacking shape? or positioned wrong too?

the new modeling style i was trying , was starting the face from 6 sided poly loops , and joining them to make the basic edge loop structure , then adding detail ....
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    It is mostly the shape of the interior, but it is also a bit too high and a bit to short horizontally.

Concering the 5 sided (I even see a few 6 sided) polys... Well I am maybe a bit too extreme, but I try to avoid them where ever possible (and I usually prefer a tri and a quad over a pent).
    BUT there are modeling professionals (like Mr. Stahlberg) who use 5 sided polygons all the time, and advise the use of them (and others are like me and hate them like the devil the holy water wink.gif )

P.S.: About the ear... search on CGTalk (or the general web) for wireframe pictures of ears... that is probably the best reference.... or wait a bit (but I am SLOW) until I have reworked mine, which I am currently doing.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Tris are the tools of the devil as are NGons. Quads are what you'll be wanting if you're planning to animate that face, and you'd be best to complete the loops so that you can get your morphing working more easily.
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the whole reason for useing 5 sided polys is that they smooth more efficiantly, i have certaily been reading alot of Stahlberg`s stuff, and im taking note of what Daz has said to me in the past , so anyway , when its smoothed its all quads, any by modeling the way i have its a little lighter than if i completed the loops or ended them with tris. of course , if i was gona be doing this without smoothing , then 5 sided polys would be out ... and probly tris as well ... any thoughts on the texture ?? im not too happy with it ... but i find it hard to get it to look right ...
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    Ears are a bitch, master ears and you can rule the universe. Are you going to animate the face? 'cos it will be difficult to maintain strait lines on an edge which has a split joint in the middle - just on one side, (if you get what I mean) and if it gets skewed you'll get shading errors. That last sentence is probably complete bollocks to everyone else, but makes sense to me. <* note to self - time for the tablets*>
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i think i know what you mean Gmax.
    Been working on the ears abit ...
    vin-3.jpg
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    The sideview seems off. I don't have a ref of Mr. Diesel at hand but your model looks like that last face you made (that rigging test) from the side, too flat and kinda misshaped from the side. That worked for that asian girl but not for Mr. Diesel here. He looks right from the front but the side is more a Rowan Atkinson carricature. Were you using this as a reference? His expression is rather extreme on that one and he's looking downwards which your front view doesn't seem to do.
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    your right , its prasctically the same model ... i an experimenting with using a base model , sorta just the major loops ... ive made a few heads using this model , and the details added after ... which i why the last low poly version i posted in my rigging thread loows lacking in detail ..

vindiesel4.jpg

vindiesel5.jpg

this is the two better ref pics got , its hard to find good pics of him ... baybe ive made his chin slightly too small , but i dunno about his face being too flat ... looking closer tho , his ears need to stick out more.

the girl in the rigging thread isnt meant to be asian either ... frown.gif