Home Technical Talk

Is the Wacom Grapphire 4x5 passable?

CameronC
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
CameronC polycounter lvl 18
I'm student on a budget so the cheapie Graphhire 4x5 looks attractive. But I wonder if the size of the 4x5 in the comparison to the larger and more expensive tablets will hinder the experience?

So are there any draw-backs to the Grapphire 4x5? I'm looking forward to ditching my mouse for texturing and I want to make sure I get the tablet at the best price.
So

Replies

• Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    Just get something with the best working area to screen size ratio. That said I think you should get a 6 x 8 at least.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Hi, I think personally no. I love the tiny size since my desk space is limited and found a bigger tablet a bit clunky. No limited experience in my opinion unless you buy an Aiptek 8x6 for 100 bucks instead of a Wacom Grapphire, since Aiptek tablets simply suck and will make you want to throw your computer out the window. Size doesn't matter only skill, so develope it well. If you could spare the extra cash get an intous 2 4x5 instead cause the extra levels of sensitivity are nice. Latter.

Alex
  • FatAssasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FatAssasin polycounter lvl 18
    Personally, I prefer smaller tablets also. I have one at home, but have used bigger ones at work and didn't see any improvement with the bigger size. The main thing you want to look at is resolution. I have an older Wacom tablet and when I draw a curve really fast is comes out as a series of straight lines, not a smooth curve. So if the tablet has a higher resolution it can keep track of your quick movements better. But overall I've heard good things about the Grapphire series and you probably won't be dissapointed.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    I don't like the big tablettes, I prefer the 4x5 tablet I use here at work to paint textures.
  • Ramucho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ramucho polycounter lvl 18
    I Actually just bought a 4*5 Wacom graphire tablet, and I have to say it's worth it cost. But don't expect to make some great outlines especially if you want to draw with it. Here I just advice you to draw on paper and to clean your drawing on photoshop/painter. But if you want to use it to paint it works perfectly, has a good pressure levels that can easily be modified in the configuration panel.

Just a quickstart advice: uncheck the pressure levels until you don't get used to your tablet.

cheers!
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    I would say always go with wacom, and I would agree that since what you draw is infinitely scalable - size doesn't really matter. The drawback with a smaller tablet is that you draw from the wrist, not the elbow or shoulder so make sure you take plenty of breaks to keep away the dreaded RSI or Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    I've already got Carpal Tunnel, so it's not use for me frown.gif
    At least it's an extremely light case.

Anyways, the 4x5 will do ya good for most things. It only has 512 levels of pressure, as opposed to the 1024 levels of pressure that it's bigger brothers have. I use a 9x12 at work, which is simply amazing. I use a 6x8 at home, and it's good for absolutely anything I need to do here.