Martinez_Macro_MirrorWeights for MAX 6?

jehuty
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
jehuty polycounter lvl 18
hello,

is there a version for max 6 also? i used this one:
Martinez_Macro_MirrorWeightsV0.91_Beta.zip
from his site but it gives me an error at the start of max 6... i also know there is a mirror tool from "ubisoft" from the guys that made splinter cell...?! anyone know something about that?

thx in advance

ps: a yeah, ben mathis is using a version for max6 in his rigging VT, that's why i ask!

Replies

• robioto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    robioto polycounter lvl 18
    http://www.anthonydelen.com/ <-- he's got a physique mirror script

from his site...

22 July :: Physique script now works with MAX 6. Download the new physique maxscript exposure plugin http://www.anthonydelen.com/script_physique.htm
  • robioto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    robioto polycounter lvl 18
    hmm, on review of the user guide at his site it dosen't look to work as I thought, I suppose you can check it out though. I do think that the updated iphysique exposure plug is what you need to make martinez's script work anyway, so you can get that from his site if not his version of the mirror script.
  • jehuty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    still have the loadind error:
    "DLL <C:\Programm\3D Studio MAX 6\plugins\Iphysique.gup> failed to initialize. Error code: 126 - The specified Modul was not found"
    SUX... WTF?
  • FatAssasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FatAssasin polycounter lvl 18
    The Skin modifier has weight mirroring built it in Max 6 and above.
  • jehuty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well does it help when i work in physique... ?! frown.gif
  • FatAssasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are you forced to work with Physique? If not then I would suggest switching over. Skin is much easier to work with. I think there's even a tool to go from Physique to Skin so that you don't loose all your weighting. Of course, it's just a suggestion and something to think about in the future if you have the choice between using Physique or Skin.
  • jehuty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok you got a tutorial an skin? i need to finish my work quick so i need a crash course in SKIN... any help there? would be nice to get it working... i am almost finished...
  • FatAssasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you need to finish quickly, it's probably not the best time to learn a new tool. It's usually best to learn something new when you've got some time to play around with it. But if you want some tutorials on Skin, I did a quick search with google and came up with this:

USING THE SKIN MODIFIER

Plus, some there's videos on Distreet's site on using the new features in Skin:
    New features in Max 6
    New features in Max 7

And don't forget about the help files that come with Max, they're chock full of useful information.

Hope that helps.
  • jehuty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    man... i am playing around with skin - but i can't figure out much... sux... it must be somehow possible to mirror that f****** physique... even with max 6... i don't have time to learn skin... damn... POOP.IN.MY.MOUTH WHERE ARE YOU??? I NEED YOUR HELP!!!!
  • jehuty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks FatAssassin... thank you for the help i will check this when i have time... but for now i need a solution.... quick! well, i think i can just go in and do everything by hand... frown.gif
  • FatAssasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, that's what it usually comes down to when you're in a hurry. Just do what you know, and then experiment later when you have more time.
  • jehuty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ FatAssasin: so how do you work with SKIN? do you use the bipad skeleton? or do you buildup a new skeleton everytime?
  • jehuty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WTF...? is it not possible to mirror the adjustments of the "gizmos" in skin? man i can't believe this... F***!!
  • FatAssasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, you can use the biped skeleton with Skin. And yes, you can mirror the envelopes, if that's what you mean by "gizmos".

Have you looked at the User Reference or any of the videos I linked to? Why would you think you can't use Skin with a Biped when it says clearly that you can use any objects as bones in the User Reference?

Getting all cranky, saying stuff SUX, and WFT?, asking questions about things that are covered in the help files, and not giving details about what you're trying to do and what you've already done to try and make it work, aren't the best ways to get help. It makes it sound like you just want other people to answer your questions for you and that you don't want to try and help yourself.

So take a deep breath, ask your question in complete sentences and using the correct terms for what you're talking about, and tell me what you've already tried. If possible, post screenshots of the areas you're having trouble with, or even a link to a max file if it helps to see the problem.

Sorry for the lecture, but it gets frustrating trying to help someone that doens't seem like they're putting in effort to help themselves. That may or may not be true, but it's the impression you're giving right now.
  • jehuty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok, fat.assasin your totally right! i am very angry because of the time pressure... so that's what made my so upset... and i slepet only two houres tonight!

1. i was just asking you if you "use" the bipad not if it is "possible" to use it... i know that you can use almost everything... i just wanted to know if you use it or if you think it is better to make your own "bonesetup"... but maybe, or better i did mess up my sentences.

2. so what i meant with "gizmos" was the JointAngle-, BulgeAngle- and MorphAngle- Gizmos... i wanted to know if it is possible or not to mirror them to the other side of my model.

3. i looked deeper into the "skin" modifier and i must say that i am impressed... how fast it is possible to "rigg" a character with it... and if you have a extreme position of the model, just take one of the "GIZMOS" and remodel the that part how you see fit... and of course if the texture let's you wink.gif
  • FatAssasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, I see what you're asking now. And I understand about time pressure. When you're under pressure I think it's usually better to go with what you know, but I'll try and answer your questions as well as I can.

1) If I'm in a hurry, need a temporary skeleton, or I'm going to pass the model on to someone else that uses CS, then I would use Biped. Escpecially if it's your basic human type character. The more customized you get, like having a character with four arms and wings or something like that, the more likely it would be that I would use bones and make a custom skeleton. Or for my ownn personal use, I'll use bones. But Biped is really fast to set up and you can mirror the bone positions, rotations, and scaling easily.

2) Actually, I've never used the angle deformers. I never had a need to, and I don't know of any game engines that support them. I always just use the envelopes and weight table to make sure the model deforms as good as possible.

With low poly model I'll just use the weight table, and with high poly models I'll start with the envelopes and then clean it up from there.

But if you're doing prerendered stuff they might come in handy. I don't remember reading anything about being able to mirror them, but I'm not 100% sure. Sorry.

3) I think it's faster than using Physique, especially using the weight table and mirror modes. I wish the envelopes were more like Physique's though, but that about it. Yeah, I'll probably get into using the gizmos too since I'm doing some higher poly stuff now and want to do some prerendered animations.
  • jehuty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well i guess that there has not to be any support for engines because in the "angle deformers" it is just a vertex movment... with an editM or editP in the stack... after that you just delete the EM or EP and the angle deformers takes only the vertex movment.
    but well i am also no expert... it just seems logic to me... but correct me if i am wrong. wink.gif

i have to "deep" check that weight table, i don't really understand it now...
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    jehuty,

You're getting the DLL error because you're using the wrong version of the plug-in with your copy of max. Visit http://sparks.discreet.com for the correct version.

Also I recommend the Skin modifier in Max6 and above. If you are working on a game project and are learning skin quickly, don't mess with joint deformers or morphers. Just quickly setup your envelopes, then tweak the vertex weights. The mirror tool is better than the script mirror tools anyway.
  • FatAssasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some tips for working with the Weight Table:

- Change Options to "Show Affected Bones"
    - Change the lower drop down option from "Show All Vertices" to "Show Selected Vertices"
    - Select groups of verts to work on at once
    - Highlight all the verts in the Weight Table by clicking on the first and then dragging down
    - When more than one vert is highlighted, changing the number for one vert changes them all
    - Right-Click on a weight to change it to 0
    - Ctrl-Right-Click to change it to 1
  • jehuty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Monster:
    thank you that you answer your self... wink.gif i got the file from here -
    http://sparks.discreet.com/downloads/downloadshome.cfm?f=2&wf_id=129 only one i could find... and it starts with no error...
    it's called "Recompile for 3ds max 6 of physique maxscript exposure for CS3.x "
    but look what happens when i try to use your script with it here
    or do i have to use a other scriptversion of yours?

i have put that "IPhysique.gup" in the plugins folder as it says here
    but i also don't know how to start that so called "Physique Toolset" what should be in that "IPhysique.gup"... where is it to find?
    question: why are the joint deformers bad? would you please explain...

@ FatAssasin:
    well big thanks to you man for the tips, i have the feeling they will come in handy wink.gif... i will use skin in future... but still i will finish my work with physique... like i said i am allmost done... even without the mirror script frown.gif... with mirror 5 min... without 5 houres... :/ jesus...
  • FatAssasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I feel your pain. smile.gif
  • jehuty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ monster:
    ok ok... i've got it now... it's working! cool tool by the way! smile.gif
    please just answer this question:
    why are the joint deformers bad? would you please explain...

@ fat.assasin:
    no pain no gain... wink.gif
    well now i can finish up my work for good... *puhhh*
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    man... i am playing around with skin - but i can't figure out much... sux... it must be somehow possible to mirror that f****** physique... even with max 6... i don't have time to learn skin... damn... POOP.IN.MY.MOUTH WHERE ARE YOU??? I NEED YOUR HELP!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I made a video tutorial on rigging. http://www.fileplanet.com/dl.aspx?/planetquake/polycount/tutorials/video/bmathis_rigging.zip
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joint Deformers are OK to use if you're never going to export to a game. Most of the artists here seem to create animations for in-game use. But if you're just rendering it, then go crazy.

I have heard the advanced Skin deformations are not mirrorable, currently, although people seem to be very interested in it.

It is extremely rare for a game to support vertex morphing based on bone angle, basically because it's too little of a benefit to be worth the implementation time and the added performance cost. Games have to run in real-time, if feature X slows the framerate then it's usually dropped real quick.

We support it, but our game engine isn't publicly available. In our system, you could tie specific vertex behavior to specific bone poses. In fact you probably wouldn't get a noticeable performance hit, depending on your hardware. Might be a nice demo in fact. I'm hoping to share more about the system as it matures.

Probably more real-time engines will support these things in the future, as hardware gets better.
  • jehuty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ poop:
    check the first post at the end, around "ps:"... =) btw. your tutorial is awesome man... thanks for your effort on this one...

@Eric:
    well that is interesting... hmmm thank you very much for the explanation... i am very curious about your engine. i hope you can share more in the future...