Home General Discussion

Geting into the game industry....

Rajeev3d
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Rajeev3d polycounter lvl 18
is it necessary that , to get into the game industry u need to do a gaming course... cant i just do maya n get in?...

the place where im lookin to go has both maya course(6 mnths) and game ddesign course(1yr)..... both maya n game students start at the same time , together,same class.... they r taught modelling,anmation,sketching,life drawing,traditinal animation etc...
its only after 6 mnths, after the maya course is over the gaming thing starts.....

im asking this coz maya course caost half the amnt of game course and im not able to draw up a loan for the game design course....
i want to get into the game industry as a 3d modeller primarily....

Replies

• Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    "i want to get into the game industry as a 3d modeller primarily...."

Then you absolutely dont need to do a game design course no.
    Id try and keep your 3D software learning open to more than just Maya though. There are probably more games studios that use 3ds Max for instance.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    while speaking currently from outside the 'in' of the industry, i dont see why you wouldnt take a design course if the option is available... why limit yourself in that sense?
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    The design course could be handy, but on the other hand, you're not going to get an entry level design position, so you're probably better to just spend the time working on your demo reel.
  • Frank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frank polycounter lvl 18
    And your spelling.

Frank the Avenger
  • Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bronco polycounter lvl 18
    Now i ask the question...Why the fudge can't a course like that come about in the UK??

I rang round some universities here in the UK and i discovered,im not gonna get onto a game art course purily becuase my academic record sucks,not enough tariff points(note,this was only cos I spent a tad too long learning max and doing the art I enjoy frown.gif )the course is therefore apprently too "specilised" for me.

The only thing I can do is produce an amazing traditional art portfolio within the next 6 months,which im gonna find difficult as trad art isn't my strongest aspect and is gnerally of only an average standard. They also said despite 3 years self teaching on max and 2 intensive trainning course in low poly modelling and textures and my recent efforts to put together a demo of my textures,possible photography and models they would not look at it becuase "thats what we teach and therefore your demo would defeat the point of the course".

So,in summary what this tells me is:-
    A)UK sucks,no flexibility as normal.
    B)Remember kids,be cool stay in school say nope to dope and learn to draw...the tradional way.
    C)Do not at the age of 14 decide you wnat to become a game artist,spend lots of your parents money and free time practicing the programs cos as today I have discovered its a waste of time and you end up in a hole as I now am in.

Sorry guys just fusing off abit!.

john
  • NoSeRider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NoSeRider polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    is it necessary that , to get into the game industry u need to do a gaming course... cant i just do maya n get in?...

[/ QUOTE ]

What makes you think you can get in now?

What makes you think 3d Modeling is just putting polys together?

Modeling is art....do you know art?
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    Ok that's taking it out of context...

The Maya course sounds good, since it gives you the rounds of all the tasks related to game art. Six months is a short time so don't set your expectations too high if you're just starting out. Don't stress over the game design course if you can't get in. Just curious, what classes do they teach? Are you ready for a crash course in object-oriented programming if that's what's in the curriculum?

Actually, if you're still in high school, I'd listen to Bronco and pursue a traditional education and let the games thing come second, even if you're sure you want to be in games your entire career.
  • Rajeev3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    they do not provide oop... its a gfx school... vanarts.. have u heard of it..
    they do start off wid traditional sketching,life drawing for the 1st mnth...
    i no 6 mnths is not enough and ill have to work more on my show reel after i complete the course for a while b4 i start applying for a job....
    but the point is rt now i cant afford the full tution fees, and theres a option of doing the 2nd half of the games course(1st half of games course=maya course) seperately also...so mayb after a yr or two i can do tat seperately....
    wot say?
  • Rajeev3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok ..for more clarification, this is the course content for the games course..

Curriculum
    The 48-week diploma program consists of four 12-week terms: The first 2 terms (24 weeks) make up our 3D Animation Foundation Program common to all CG programs.

TERM 1
    Basic principles of animation such as timing, spacing, anticipation and follow-through are introduced through 2D & 3D animation exercises. Courses in life drawing, storyboarding and introductions to computer modeling are also covered in this term.

TERM 2
    Advanced lessons with Maya, Blender & Wings 3D focus on modeling, texturing, lighting and animation are presented. Life drawing courses continue, along with animation history and storyboarding.

TERM 3*
    Students are now diving full force into concepts of Game Design, focusing primarily on concept art, low-polygon modeling & texturing with emphasis on inorganic modeling: props, environments and vehicles. Software introduced in the first two terms are used to take 2D concepts into a 3D environment for games. Life drawing & drafting studies are also incorporated.

TERM 4*
    In the last term, students focus on refining a set of props, character modelling, and location designs to produce a professional demo reel and then learn how to pitch their game concepts to a studio.

* Terms 3 & 4 can be taken independently as a 24-week certificate program in Game Art & Design
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    No 3D modeler I know has an education in game design other than their own interest.
    No 3D modeler I know where I work has an influence on game design. Thats very much the bastion of 'the designers'. ( those educated and skilled in game design and hired for that purpose, as opposed to the purpose of creating Art ).

Read into that what you will, but it isn't rocket science. It all boils down to what you want to do. The industry is not a cottage one anymore. Generally roles are pretty specialiazed.

However, whats described in term 3 in the curriculum up there, is NOT game design. Conceptualizing worlds and characters is NOT considered game design. Game design is the process of designing the play experience, not visuals. So that's very misleading wording and I wonder perhaps, If it is the root of any confusion here.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    Something I often think should be part of a course specializing in game design is a section devoted to teaching students how to cope with the fact that they will almost certainly never get to input a games design anyway!

It's been my experience that generally, as an artist, your ideas on gameplay are not going to be heard.

If you are a programmer or a level designer, then, by default, you are going to get to affect gameplay to a 'certain extent' but the holiest of holy's, the 'game designer' position is a rarity to achieve and tends to be jealously guarded at worst and skillfully kept out of your reach at best!

Artists get to affect the design of small pieces of art within the context of the art and design style the art director has chosen and for the most part, the best an artist can hope for is to have an AD whose vision they respect or vaguely resembles their own interests.

I think, with so many artists in this industry always grumbling amoungst themselves to a certain extent about how thing's could have been done better or how noone respects their opinion enough to act upon it, teaching an appreciation of the facts of life would be a valuable part of a college course as it would better teach people to handle the stress of the 'practise' rather than idealise a 'theory' that most likely will not be put into practise.

I realise this wanders pretty far from the point of the post but it just got me thinking about this.
  • Mojo2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mojo2k polycounter lvl 18
    you don't HAVE to take anything, you jsut have to be good at what you want to do, if you think taking these classes will make you good at what you want to do, then go for it,
  • Slayerjerman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slayerjerman polycounter lvl 18
    I'll smuggle you into the game industry for $6k and no questions asked wink.gif

But its easier if you just jump the fence from running start. (ie: get some education and make contacts...i cant stress enough how important contacts are.)
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    yeah, jer is right contacts got me in, and art school didnt teacxh me any applications i couldnt have eqasily learned myself. There was nothing my application instructors taught me that I didnt already know or needed (other than passing their class.)

While at school learn art fundamentals, like color theory and such.

Ror makes the best comment in this thread...I wish more intructors were like abbott smith drove this concept home.

At my last job at Ubisoft I had absolutely no creative freedom whatsoever My moronic art director took a huge hissy fit about the cracked patturn of my wall cuz it wasnt exactly like the concept photo he stole for 'inspiration' and complained to my producer about it (ridiculus, I'm glad he's out of this business now) Complete idiot I swear.

Get used to it.

It's something newcommers need to get used to. Creativity is often earned in this bizz.

-R