Home General Discussion

Blackfriday Shopping? What did you buy?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
steady polycounter lvl 18
Woke up at 4am today and drove over to my local Compusa and waited in my car while all the idiots outside waited in line in 35 degree weather. Of course once the doors opened everyone was allowed in, there was no wait at all. I bought 2 xbox logitech controllers for $14 (was supposed to be $25) and got the GTA3 + Vice City Double pack for $20. Later on I took my little brother over to EBgames and he got Metroid Prime 2: Echoes, which I definitely recommend to everyone who has GC, it is a farking sweet game, has a fun as hell multiplayer, I wish I could unpak it and check out all the models in 3ds max frown.gif
Anybody else get any cool toys?
3 cheers for the American Capitalism machine!

Replies

• Malekyth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malekyth polycounter lvl 18
    I'm at work. :P

But I did buy a kick-ass laptop from xtremenotebooks.com a week ago, so I'm counting that for my unwise Thanksgiving shopping spree. ;P
  • JBoskma
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JBoskma polycounter lvl 18
    heh, What's blackfriday people? grin.gif

EDIT: Rogue, or Kub could you guys link the : ) (no space) back to grin.gif instead of smile.gif?
  • FatAssasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FatAssasin polycounter lvl 18
    Getting up at 4am to save $50? I'd rather have the sleep. smile.gif

Black Friday is the Friday after Thanksgiving here in the states. It's the biggest shopping day of the year here. A lot of companies have huge sales, but only for like 2 or 3 hours really early in the morning. So you have to get up at the crack of dawn and many of the bigger companies are swamped with people. I usually avoid it.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    I bought a Stanley™ Electric Staple Gun for $14.99 at Fred Meyer's 6 hour 50% off sale. I must be getting old because I was completely stoked. Seriously. tongue.gif
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    -an mp3 player and an adapter to make it work on a car.

-some sort of italian olive oil dispenser with a twin brother, for....something else liquidy i suppose. For my best friends wife.

Im not buying anything else.

-R
  • Malekyth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    I must be getting old

[/ QUOTE ]

hehe, YES YOU ARE
  • eepberries
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eepberries polycounter lvl 18
    Blackfriday? Oh noes! I'm staying inside tonight. Better put the car in the garage too
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Well.. Guess its based on a POV. Didn't partake (see sig).
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mishra polycounter lvl 18
    i bought a 12" rubber dil....

actually no i bought nothing at all, nothing i say.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    I must be getting old

[/ QUOTE ]

hehe, YES YOU ARE

[/ QUOTE ]

cute.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    picked up a small tower so i could put a pc inside my arcade case (long story).. turns out the mobo etc etc is too damn big for the case, so i just wasted 50 bucks... parents picked up some random wireless keyboard / mouse stuff and all that worked fine for them.. so i feel kinda jipped..
  • Paolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paolo polycounter lvl 18
    I bought wireless time at Starbucks so I could do homework while home at my parent's for the weekend.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    Comic Books!

Scott
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    We (Canada) have our own "Black Friday" only its called "Boxing Day" and is the day after 'Christmas Day'. Sounds the same as Black Friday in terms of biggest sales. The sales here usually last 1 full week.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    That was yesterday? Um... Bought a cheap PS2 controller so I have two and can play multiplayer games on occassion (though ATM I only have GGXX for multiplayer...) and a computer table "KRISTER" from Ikea since my current "workplace" setup kinda sucks.
  • TNSLB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TNSLB polycounter lvl 18
    Harl and I got up at 4am, went to toys r us at 4:30, waited in the car for it to open at 5, went inside and bought a new PS2, left at 5:10. The ONLY reason we did that was because the entire area was sold out of them the week before, and it was our christmas present to ourselves (related to the 'christmas at thanksgiving' thing in the turkey day thread...so we both got a lot of PS2 games the day before).

Had half wanted to go to Target at the opening at 6am, to get the GBA for 40$, but we drove by at 5:15 and there were already 50+ people waiting in the cold. Also drove by Best Buy & Staples as they were on the way home, and outside each were at LEAST 100 people lined up. Crazy.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    It was also national buy nothing Day. I hate the fact I am *supposed* to buy stuff, so I bought nothing. I hate consumerism.
  • Malekyth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yet you work on computer games. Your whore-like existence must trouble you deeply.
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mishra polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    It was also national buy nothing Day. I hate the fact I am *supposed* to buy stuff, so I bought nothing. I hate consumerism.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're not your job. You're not how much money you have in the bank. You're not the car you drive. You're not the contents of your wallet. You're not your fucking khakis. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of the world.
  • Mojo2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mojo2k polycounter lvl 18
    this whole buy nothing day sounds about retarded, i can understand not going out and shoping if you don't need anything, but to avoid it just so you can stick your thumb in the eye of consumerism, only means you will pay more when you end up buying it next week. i mean i'm sure a couple of people not going shopping till a few days later will instantly cure all thats wrong

oh i picked up a couple of dvd's "the magnificent butcher" and "starship troopers" i'm not sure if they were on sale or not, i didnt actualy look, i didnt even know it was a special shopping day till i realized how crowded the store was
  • Voodoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Voodoo polycounter lvl 18
    finally got Halo2
  • Margret Wellings
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Margret Wellings polycounter lvl 18
    Slept, worked, bought workout clothes to work off my smelly sweaty ass and loose pounds before new years eve. For obvious reasons of course.
  • RageUnleashed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RageUnleashed polycounter lvl 18
    I'm a starving student and I got the day off classes, I opted to sleep in until noon and save my cash.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Mojo

[ QUOTE ]
    o you can stick your thumb in the eye of consumerism, only means you will pay more when you end up buying it next week.

[/ QUOTE ]

These days are meant for you to buy things you wouldnt otherwise buy. To get you in the store and buy "A". Its psychological in nature for when you are in that store you see "B" for such a price, and because of the time limit purchase B, though you have no need for B.

Its the same idea of the bidding frenzy near the end on some ebay items. We have a tendency to question people who bid such large amounts. But they both rely on that same impulse buy due to time constraints.

Seriously have we seen any good examples here that deal other than materialistic objects? Did grocery stores have a 5 hour sale? Did real estates offer a discount for the first 50 customers to purchase a home?

Don't forget this idea also:

Something else to think about the frenzy and "gotta have", consumerism enstows. When we get a object we are after our happiness "peaks" momentarily. Then drops off as we know have that item. Then we find though more things we want as to regain that happiness/completeness.

All rather like a drug.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19

Mojo just got pwnt