Home Technical Talk

Forgive Me

j03
j03
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
j03 polycounter lvl 18
Hey.. I have posted here before. I Used to be Forkboy. Anyway.. Im sitll(kinda) new to modeling.. I've been working for a small game co. (Wildtangent) in Redmond Wa. They are comming out with a diablo'esc game soon. It is a different thing for them.. anyways.. I was only a tester there and they allowed me to make a 3d character for their game. This is what I've come up with so far.. just your run o the mill ogre/troll charcter. My question? For a top down/isomectric/diablo style character.. where should I keep the detail, and remove? troll_wip.jpg

Replies

• poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    I've had the chance to model for an isometric game before, and the thing that helped me was this: Set up a camera at the average viewing distance and angle, and make that one of your viewports. While modeling I was always checking that camera to see if what I was doing was helping out that view. I could scrub the time slider and the camera rotated all the way around the character from that elevated angle. Be sure to keep that same view in mind when you are UVmapping and texturing as well, because You will want your seams in different places on a top down character, than you would in an FPS
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Hi, I sort of don't like where you have your detail at the moment. I think you could easily get away with making the arms out of 6 to 8 sided cylinder. Is your character supposed to be 1000 polys? If your character is supposed to be less than 800 polys you'll want to make the arms 5 sided and start the legs at 6 sided. The head also has too many polys that really don't do much. Look at how you defined the belly, you should be able to get away with that on the back of the head and would look pretty round in game. Hope that helps.

Alex