Home Technical Talk

SDK

GreyStrife
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
GreyStrife polycounter lvl 18
I'm very, very new to modeling so bear with me... Although I'm pretty sure I know it's purpose, what does SDK stand for and how do you create one?

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    An SDK, with reference to modelling and texturing, is a "Skin Development Kit" ... basically it's a resource, created by a modeller for the public to download.

An SDK usually contains a 3D model, and a bitmap image of the UV-mapping layout (also known as "maps" or "skinmesh").

Then, the artist doing the textures (sometimes referred to as "skins") can apply the image to the model, and digitally paint the texture.

So, usually an SDK is just a Zip file containing the models and all relevent image files.

MoP
  • eepberries
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eepberries polycounter lvl 18
    It also can't hurt to include a nice little README.TXT stating who worked on the 3d model and other things like that.
  • jzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jzero polycounter lvl 18
    And for those of you watching at home, the meaning 'Skin Development Kit' is derivative of the more conventional 'Software Development Kit'. That's the stuff developers download to help them write plug-ins and program extensions. That's why, if you get the Half-Life SDK, you'll find it contains lots more than help for skins.

/jzero
  • Voodoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Voodoo polycounter lvl 18
    And as an extra note skinning actually refers to binding a character to a skeleton during rigging but has been adopted by the texturing community as a subsititute for "texturing".
  • Downsizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Downsizer polycounter lvl 18
    And my two bits.

"Rigging" is the more commonly used word for binding skeletons to models it seems. I have'nt heard "skinning" used in reference to binding skeletons in quite some time.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    And don't forget...

The term "rig" is a transitive verb from the Middle English word "riggen". It's defined as 'to put in condition or position for use'.

Learning is half the battle.
  • iansnyder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iansnyder polycounter lvl 18
    And please bear in mind...

The term "merkin" is an artificial covering of hair for the female pubic region; a pubic wig for women. Also: an artificial vagina.

Sorry, but it had to be said :P