Home Technical Talk

Softimage

iansnyder
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
iansnyder polycounter lvl 18
How many of you use Softimage (particularly XSI) regularly? What has your experience been with it? Thanks for your responses!

Replies

• Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Hi. I just bought XSI 4 foundations and I think it was worth it. I come from Max so it's been a bit annoying learning XSI. Version 4 has some nice polygon modeling tools and you can sort of work like you do in Max with the polygon object. Things that I thought were missing are actually there, it's just different. The knife tool is great and so are the snapping tools. The UV tools are very good too, they will be nicer once I learn how to fully use them. XSI also has nice edge level editing. I has very good animation and particle tools too. The other cool thing is that it has very good compositing tools so you don't have to use other programs to do your video editing, you can do it all inside XSI. Later.

Alex
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    been using softimage for just over a year now. used max and then maya for ~ a year each before this. This was all through college and game mods. I just purchased Foundation a few weeks ago, and despite some headaches due to learning some improvements they've made (wasnt expecting some of the nice changes smile.gif ). The UV mapping tools are far superior to maya and max's, and in general the interface is a lot less painful to navigate. Overall i've had an absolutely excellent experience with XSI, and I strongly recommend it.
  • KMan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KMan polycounter lvl 18
    One of my friends picked up Softimage recently to learn the animation tools, and so far he's liking it. I'll try and convince him to register on the new boards sometime. I may want to check it out some time soon too, after hearing some good words about the unwrap tools.
  • iansnyder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iansnyder polycounter lvl 18
    Cool, thanks for the responses!
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    I have the HalfLife version just as a headstart.

Everything is difficult (but possible) to learn...except for Animation tools. The Animation and Rigging tools are the easiest imaginable. You can rig an entire game character within 20 seconds once you get the hang of it. Softimage is very programmer oriented, so it's tough transition for artists. But once you learn the program, the possibilities are endless. I'll be in that learning stage for a while. I heard the UVmapping tools are great, so that's next on my list. I'll probably stick to programs such as Silo for modeling anyhow.

If animation is your main concern...XSI no contest.
  • e_x
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    e_x polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    One of my friends picked up Softimage recently to learn the animation tools, and so far he's liking it.

[/ QUOTE ]

that would be me.

I love the animation stuff, but I still do all my modeling in 3ds max. Little different from character studio in 3ds max, since Softimage has a lot stronger f curve editor.

If you love keyboard shortcuts, then Softimage is your whore. Its almost all keyboard driven, which has taken a little bit to get use to myself.

Here's a little tip though. If you like grabbing the transform gizmo to move vertices and such like I do, go to Transforms->Tool Options. Check 'Use 3D Manipulator' and select 'Select Tool' for 'Click Outside Manipulator'. This will make it more like 3ds max, which I like. And now you don't have to hit the space bar everytime to unselect something.

For me, Softimage's strength is my weakness, there is just sooo many options. Don't get me wrong, options are a good thing, but I find myself getting bogged down in menus looking for simple things. And a '3ds to Softimage translator' would be nice since a lot of things are called something different between packages.

Edit-
    Forgot to add this. 3dbuzz.com has a good XSI community, very helpful and have answered a lot of my questions by searching through the threads.
  • JED
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JED polycounter lvl 18
    I picked 4.0 up myself specifically for the rigging and animation tools after playing with the HL2 EXP release. Best I've seen or used so far... the UV and modeling tools are pretty solid too, which for me was a bonus. XSI doesn't have as many modeling tools as max but what it does have is pretty solid. It's got a great workflow despite having fewer tools than other modelers. I really enjoy working in it at all stages.

My biggest beef is with all the keybinds and strange viewport controls. Even after getting used to it I'm still not a big fan of the 's' key, nor having a butt-load of different selection keys located halfway across the keyboard (still haven't messed with my own bindings yet). I find myself wishing the Move Elements tool worked on polygons and edges too. Spoiled by modo and Silo/Wings I guess.

I just did a quick UV tutorial in the other XSI thread if anyone is interested.

James
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Softimage is very programmer oriented, so it's tough transition for artists.

[/ QUOTE ]

funny you should say that.. back at my college all the modellers in a game dev club tended to pick up xsi like no tomorrow.. yet the few coders stayed with maya for all their stuff... was very annoying at times tongue.gif
  • JED
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JED polycounter lvl 18
    I'm wondering if that statement is based on SI3D or XSI as well, because my experience with XSI was that it was very easy to pick up. That was my own personal experience though, and I've found since that for programming and scripting it really does seem like a powerhouse app, which is good because I'd like to move more into that area eventually with my rigging. But as an artist I've really enjoyed learning it.
  • FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FAT_CAP polycounter lvl 18
    uggghhh - Softimage is theee deveeeeel I tel thee.

Am currently using Softimage 3D at work for the level/ environment stuff and MAX for the object orientated stuff. It was a REAL pain having to remember all of Softimages nuances etc. - and the UV tools are terrible.

I havent tried XSI but its meant to be loads better. Im just glad that everything will be switching over to MAX for the next project after Christmas hopefully. And I'll have a head start over come of the other gus who have never used MAX before laugh.gif...happy days!
  • JED
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JED polycounter lvl 18
    Lets not compare ancient versions of software with modern counterparts. It's confusing enough for less experienced users to try and make sense of it all.

I used max all the way back to when it was 3d studio R2 running on dos, and I certainly wouldn't want to compare max 1 with max 7, nor any other major release from the competition within the last 6 - 8 months. Likewise with SI3d vs XSI 4... that's several generations of software between the two.

I think you'd be pleasantly surprised with XSI 4's UV tools though.

Best of luck with switching over to max. I still miss working in it at times. Especially with all the goodness that's gone into it in R7.
  • FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FAT_CAP polycounter lvl 18
    Heheh - no I wasnt comparing the 3D to XSI... I've had a browse around XSI myself and know what a different beast it is... just letting of some steam really smile.gif

But yeah - I cant wait to pack in Soft 3D and get over to MAX fulltime.