Home General Discussion

Stupid things/Don’t make sense.

frosty
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
frosty polycounter lvl 18

Local seat belt laws, 25 per violation per person.
No motorcycle helmet law.

Throw back into the water any fish back under 15 inches.
This does not promote survival of the fittest.

Software to slow down your pc speed. Duh!

Kill prairie dogs off of pasture land.
wonder why water tables are so low.
Prairie dogs help keep water tables regualted by
eating down local vegations and allowing the aqua
table to replenish itself in a natural way.

A lady could not get thru to 911 while be burglarized.
So she called dunkin donuts and had a cop dispatched to her home.

Replies

• ElysiumGX
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Laws? Try living in NC. During High School, I lost my driver's license for making a 69.5 in my German class.
    Oh, and the teacher was from Russia.
  • frosty
    Offline / Send Message
    Darn it Grind, I new Elysium looked oh so familiar, it is in my nutscrape browser links.
  • KDR_11k
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Software to slow down your pc speed. Duh!

Not "duh", some older software has problems with fast PCs, some DOS games cause a GPF if you have anything faster than a 133MHz IIRC and some don't limit their speed at all and run at 2000% speed on modern systems (especially those meant to be run on a 286 when run on a 2GHz system).
  • frosty
    Offline / Send Message
    Good point KDR - I guess if it is not UT2003 then I do not play it. : )

Other funny: Side auto mirrors should read: aholes appear closer than they are.
  • Sett
    Offline / Send Message
    Sett polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Laws? Try living in NC. During High School, I lost my driver's license for making a 69.5 in my German class.
    Oh, and the teacher was from Russia.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please explain this.
  • KDR_11k
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    "69.5" means "hitting a pedestrian at 69.5 MPH".
  • JonT
    Offline / Send Message
    JonT polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    A lady could not get thru to 911 while be burglarized.
    So she called dunkin donuts and had a cop dispatched to her home.

[/ QUOTE ]Back in my day a burglar burgled. Now a burglarizer burglarizes. Will a burglarizerizer burlarizerize?

[ QUOTE ]
    Throw back into the water any fish back under 15 inches.
    This does not promote survival of the fittest.

[/ QUOTE ]It allows younger fish to survive and hence start a new generation. If we catch all the young fish who will make more?
  • ElysiumGX
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Please explain this.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you wish. NC has a law saying that if you're not making progress towards graduating high school, they take away your license. Ironic how I needed my license to get to school...in order to graduate. I lost mine once because of a grade I received just after the law began. My friends with birthdays just before mine were not affected. Then there was the second time. During the first quarter of the year, I made two failing grades. One of them a 69.5 in German, which I was sure rounded up to a 70 (passing). The other a 68 in a class I didn't need (or want) in order to graduate. The state took away my right to drive again. I lived the farthest away than any other student. Because of not having transportation, I also lost my job. Not to mention I really didn't have a suitable home. I tried to challenge the law, explaining that I needed a way to travel between my two "homes". No luck. They said I would have to be handicapped or partially blind in order to keep it. That scares me. By the end of the year, I passed the classes as I had planned to anyway. I graduated with high scores on my finals. Took my license back, and moved on to a better life away from school.

My German teacher was from Russia. She spent a year in Germany, then moved to America to teach German. She could barely speak English or German. So the whole class suffered.

When I have kids, they are not going to American public schools.
  • Frank
    Offline / Send Message
    Frank polycounter lvl 18
    You don't have a 'right to drive.'

Frank the Avenger
  • Sett
    Offline / Send Message
    Sett polycounter lvl 18
    ElysiumGX- Wow I'm real torn. On one hand that's a good idea screw up in school- lose it. But what does the right to drive have to do with school? What happens if you leave school? At what age is this enforcable to?

Here in Ontaio you can drive at 16 and if you choose leave school at 16 (if you want to be a loser). Also they have graduated licensing -No passengers,no driving at night,BAC =0 and other things. The insurance industry basicly whips the kids with their crippling rates (some up to 4000-6000$ a year!).
  • ElysiumGX
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, I earned the priviledge to drive. More so than most. At 16, I believe you get a limited license. That prevents you from driving after 9pm. High School football games end after 10pm, so I was hassled by cops often.

In my hometown, women must have their bodies covered by at least 16 yards of cloth at all times. This law is broken constantly.

In my local area, it is against the law to rollerblade on a state highway

NC State Law. If a man and a woman who aren't married go to a hotel and register themselves as married then, according to state law, they are legally married. My girl and I did this in Meridian, Mississippi. Not sure what the law is there.
  • frosty
    Offline / Send Message
    Ely I think that totally sucks, nothing like not motivating you to stay in school. I hated school.

*** Stupid things/Don?t make sense. ***

It is about 80 degrees in our work area last 5 days or so. that is about 26 celcius. I dunno wtf is going on, but the cooler is shut off and I plan on bringing in a huge industrial fan friday, I got two huge home fans on me now with the window open. Really weird and stupid! frown.gif
    In all my 20 yrs of working in an office I have never had anything this stupid concerning temperatures and moral.

*** Stupid things/Don?t make sense. ***
  • JKMakowka
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    It is about 80 degrees in our work area last 5 days or so. that is about 26 celcius. I dunno wtf is going on, but the cooler is shut off and I plan on bringing in a huge industrial fan friday, I got two huge home fans on me now with the window open. Really weird and stupid! frown.gif
    In all my 20 yrs of working in an office I have never had anything this stupid concerning temperatures and moral.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm are you joking? 26°C is not too hot, thats a perfectly aceptable temperature, even for a northern european like me, who is used to cooler temperatures. So turning of the AC is really the right thing to do in order to save energy.

I am really no tree hugger, but when I heard that the USA could save 30-50% of its energy cost just by using the same energy saving methods we europeans use (and we waste energy like hell), I almost couldn't believe it.
  • frosty
    Offline / Send Message
    Heat – Julius, 79 to 80 is acceptable. I don’t think so. It is crazy. Perhaps because we are mostly of German/N. European descent. But really when your sitting at a desk and your only form of movement is to go get printouts, food or relieve yourself, you can’t stay cool and clean. Plus when the public comes in, we should not be all sticky and stinking. I am not all gung-ho to run the central air, but the overhead fans can run and at least lower temps to something reasonable, like 20 or 21 Celsius. Just because one or two have bad circulation does not mean the Staff should suffer. They can always put on a sweater, because I surely can’t remove my shirt and sit around in boxer shorts, at least I don’t think I can.
  • ElysiumGX
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    I heard that the USA could save 30-50% of its energy cost just by using the same energy saving methods we europeans use (and we waste energy like hell), I almost couldn't believe it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can believe it. And I believe many Americans are using old air units that do little to save energy, that are kept on constantly. I can spend up to $300 a month on power for my small home. Lately, I've made it a habit to turn off my monitor and speakers when I'm not using them. I have a new AC unit that's hopefully saving power. It's ONLY on when I need it. I thought solar panels were the wave of the future. In mid summer, the sun can produce 127 watts of energy on one square foot of space.

Frosty, 80 isn't so bad. But sitting around the house or trying to sleep isn't comfortable. During the time the forums were down, my old central air unit crashed. It's the 3rd unit I've used in 2 years. Sweating over the keyboard isn't fun. Luckily winter is approaching.