Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Bi-Monthly Environment Art Challenge | September - October (92)

sublime tool
Offline / Send Message
Pinkfox sublime tool
Hey everyone! Welcome to the 92nd edition of the Bi-Monthly Environment Art Challenge for the months of September and October!

This challenge is a way for real-time 3D artists to test their skills and create a piece of work based on concepts provided. It's open to those of all skill levels and we do our best to provide meaningful feedback along the way so everyone can come away from the challenge with actionable points on which they can improve their craft!

Anyone is welcome in this challenge no matter your skill level! It's a test of your own ability not a competition between members. We're all here to improve as artists and learn from each other.

- ENVIRONMENTS -

HARD SURFACE ENVIRONMENT:

Mutator Container by Martin Parker

STYLIZED ENVIRONMENT:

HARMONIC - Part 02 by Kenza Morvan
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/g0A9LE

- PROPS -

HARD SURFACE PROP:

Sonder - Buford's Room by Chris Karnezis
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/vDaGQ6

STYLIZED PROP:

Sketch compilation by Guillaume T. Delbarre

- RULES -

Please read all the rules before starting:
  • Try to post at least one critique for every post that you make. This will make for a better learning environment and help us all grow as artists.
  • Try your best to finish as much as you can in the time frame provided, but remember even if you don't finish by the end of the challenge we encourage you to keep pushing and finish your piece!
  • Post what you are working on in this thread so that way it's a more centralized place for advice and critique. Please avoid creating a new thread as we don't want to spam out the forums.
  • It is recommended to use a game engine to present your work. Unreal Engine, Unity, and Godot are very common engines that can be used but feel free to use any alternatives that you want. (Marmoset Toolbag for example.)
  • Feel free to change up your chosen concept a bit if you want! Interpret these concepts to your liking, especially if your aim is to add storytelling elements.
  • If you finish your project and decide to post it to something like Artstation, make sure you give credit to the concept artist in the form of a link to their profile. Additionally, it is recommended to ask a concept artist for their permission to post a 3D piece based on their work before doing so.

- RECOMMENDATIONS -

• When you are just starting out making a scene, it can seem complicated or imposing. Take your time planning and blocking out, it will set you up for success later on.
  • Think about how you can re-use assets, re-use textures, break it down as simple as possible and plan it out. A lot of people will break it down in their own way when they start out their challenge. Gather some reference images as well for different parts of the scene, don't be afraid to make it your own.
  • We strongly encourage you to go and look at other games and see how they make their assets as well as get concept art to give it your own feel.
  • The goal is to learn and grow both artistically and in your ability to both give and receive critique, but don't stress about it and remember to have fun!

Good luck everyone!

Replies

• kwagner
    Offline / Send Message
    kwagner polycounter lvl 7
    I need some stylized stuff in my portfolio, so I started a blockout of the prop to get some of the main shapes to the scale of the concept :D 

• jeju
    Offline / Send Message
    jeju triangle
    Hello! This is my first post/time participating in this since I started 3D relatively recently. I decided to try the hardsurface prop with a blockout to try and figure out how I'll construct it. I'm not quite sure about the bottom trim and wheels, and the bottom drawer with the canisters seem to be smaller at an angle. Will figure that out later

• riceart
    Offline / Send Message
    riceart polycounter lvl 11
    Hi, barrow blocked/sculpted. Good luck all.

• Pep_mepla
    Offline / Send Message
    Pep_mepla polycounter lvl 3
    kwagner said:
    I need some stylized stuff in my portfolio, so I started a blockout of the prop to get some of the main shapes to the scale of the concept :D 

The scale looks good to me! Will you use more polymodeling before sculpting the details, or will you go directly to zbrush after this?

jeju said:
    Hello! This is my first post/time participating in this since I started 3D relatively recently. I decided to try the hardsurface prop with a blockout to try and figure out how I'll construct it. I'm not quite sure about the bottom trim and wheels, and the bottom drawer with the canisters seem to be smaller at an angle. Will figure that out later

Maybe you can use Fspy to get the exact camera angle used by the concept artist, that has helped me more than once when they have very aggresive focal lengths and the objects look very distorted, like the cannister you mentioned.

riceart said:

Love the sculpt! Did you model the golden details, or used an IMM brush? Those types of details always give me headaches.

Anddddd...
    This is my blockout so far of the stylized environment. I think the proportions are more or less correct, so now I'm going to play a little with the lighting before moving to the more detailed modeling.

• Vixen98
    Offline / Send Message
    Vixen98 triangle
    Hey, first time posting and doing this challenge, wanted to start off smaller with the prop.
    did a block-out trying to work out all the proportions, I banged my head against fSpy as that has helped before but I just couldn't figure it out for this one, ended up just doing it by eye, it seems a little tall but I think I got it fairly close

• sophie2
    riceart said:

Ah this is nice.  Mine has 8 spokes cause I thought the concept artist was being arty and "suggesting" the rest :) Will post tomz

• sophie2
    Vixen98 said:
    Hey, first time posting and doing this challenge, wanted to start off smaller with the prop.
    did a block-out trying to work out all the proportions, I banged my head against fSpy as that has helped before but I just couldn't figure it out for this one, ended up just doing it by eye, it seems a little tall but I think I got it fairly close

Hi there!   I struggled with fspy at first too.   Finally figured out a way to make it work and bring back to Maya:  (Line up v/points in PS, take all that with lines to f/spy, copy your lines with f-spys x and y axes, save as f-spy file, import to BLENDER (you need the add-n in BLENDER first), then I think for yourself you stop here but if for Maya, just set line-up-gizmo-thing IN BLENDER to y-up, export fbx, import to MAYA :).  Good luck!
  • jeju
    Offline / Send Message
    jeju triangle
    Pep_mepla said:

Anddddd...
    This is my blockout so far of the stylized environment. I think the proportions are more or less correct, so now I'm going to play a little with the lighting before moving to the more detailed modeling.

Looking good! Proportions look great. I will look into Fspy, thank you.
  • riceart
    Offline / Send Message
    @Pep_mepla Im not going outside blender. Small progress with bakes/little bit of painting and nicer render.

• kwagner
    Offline / Send Message
    kwagner polycounter lvl 7
    @Pep_mepla I'm making a kind of mid-poly model to get all the individual pieces I need, then I'll take that into ZBrush. Are you doing your scene in Unreal? Do you block it out directly in Unreal or do you make the blockout pieces in the modeling software and import?

Here's my mid-poly. Slowed down a lot last week and didn't get as much done as I wanted because l i f e. Just need the gold pieces and it'll be ready for ZBrush.

Also, I'm moving over to Blender from being a Maya user of 15 years, so if anyone has tips/tricks/tutorial videos for softening/hardening edges please let me know. I can't find a whole lot online that does what I need without odd shading...
  • Paxwort
    Offline / Send Message
    Paxwort triangle
    Wanted some nice prop work for my portfolio, so I had a go at this. I'm sorry I don't have progress pics, I kinda just knocked it out in a productive haze.

For a lot of the little details, I experimented with a transferred-normals decal-ish approach that Christopher3D recently featured on his channel, I have to say it works pretty well. Especially for the little ridges in the handles - it would have been a mess to build them into the mesh, and the alternative was to do it entirely in normals (requiring further tedious materials work).

• Paxwort
    Offline / Send Message
    Paxwort triangle
    Vixen98 said:

Regarding photomatching, I like the Perspective Plotter add-on in blender. It's maybe not as powerful as fspy, but a fairly simple no-fuss alternative.

• stahlwart
    Offline / Send Message
    stahlwart polygon
    Procrastinating a lot on the blockout but I'm happy with where this ended up ^^

• Vixen98
    Offline / Send Message
    Vixen98 triangle
    Paxwort said:
    Wanted some nice prop work for my portfolio, so I had a go at this. I'm sorry I don't have progress pics, I kinda just knocked it out in a productive haze.

For a lot of the little details, I experimented with a transferred-normals decal-ish approach that Christopher3D recently featured on his channel, I have to say it works pretty well. Especially for the little ridges in the handles - it would have been a mess to build them into the mesh, and the alternative was to do it entirely in normals (requiring further tedious materials work).

This is nice work, fast too. I think to really bring it to the next level you can put a little more dirt and grunge into the paint, you already threw in the scruffs and scratches so some grunge can really add variation to the paint.
  • Pep_mepla
    Offline / Send Message
    kwagner said:
    @Pep_mepla I'm making a kind of mid-poly model to get all the individual pieces I need, then I'll take that into ZBrush. Are you doing your scene in Unreal? Do you block it out directly in Unreal or do you make the blockout pieces in the modeling software and import?

Here's my mid-poly. Slowed down a lot last week and didn't get as much done as I wanted because l i f e. Just need the gold pieces and it'll be ready for ZBrush.

Also, I'm moving over to Blender from being a Maya user of 15 years, so if anyone has tips/tricks/tutorial videos for softening/hardening edges please let me know. I can't find a whole lot online that does what I need without odd shading...

Ahhh I get you so much, life always getting in the way XD
    But keep it up, you are doing great! I like to do my grayboxing in blender, and transfer it to Unreal. I'm not too comfortable with unreal's BSP brushes.

Here is how it is going now.

• crowlena
    Offline / Send Message
    crowlena polycounter lvl 9
    Here is my blockout progress and first pass at lighting in Unity:) I definitely struggled with trying to match the camera perspective in the concept (using perspective plotter in blender), but this is my best guess.

@Pep_mepla Your blockout looks spot on! I noticed you changed some of the proportions of objects in your second post, like the circle in the centre of the ground and the shape of the railing. The camera shows less of the mural too. Is that all on purpose for composition?

@kwagner Did you find what you needed for hard vs soft edges in blender? I often set the shading to autosmooth (rmb in object mode/shade auto smooth) and then set some select edges to sharp. You can also go to the object data properties/normals and set the auto smooth angle all the way up to 180 degrees to make sure the shading is smooth on curves.

• Pep_mepla
    Offline / Send Message
    crowlena said:
    Here is my blockout progress and first pass at lighting in Unity:) I definitely struggled with trying to match the camera perspective in the concept (using perspective plotter in blender), but this is my best guess.

@Pep_mepla Your blockout looks spot on! I noticed you changed some of the proportions of objects in your second post, like the circle in the centre of the ground and the shape of the railing. The camera shows less of the mural too. Is that all on purpose for composition?

@kwagner Did you find what you needed for hard vs soft edges in blender? I often set the shading to autosmooth (rmb in object mode/shade auto smooth) and then set some select edges to sharp. You can also go to the object data properties/normals and set the auto smooth angle all the way up to 180 degrees to make sure the shading is smooth on curves.

Thanks a lot! It was on purpose, but more for gameplay reasons, I always try to think of my environments in terms of playability first, and then composition. So I made those changes to make it easier to navigate.

Your blockout is looking great as well!!! are you modeling it in a 3d software and then importing to Unity? or are you using Probuilder?
  • crowlena
    Offline / Send Message
    crowlena polycounter lvl 9
    @Pep_mepla Thank you also:) And yes that's fair enough. I'm sure I could learn more about translating for playability - I mostly focused on scale relative to the character in that regard.

And yeah I've been modelling in Blender and then importing and placing prefabs in Unity.

• Paxwort
    Offline / Send Message
    Paxwort triangle
    Vixen98 said:
    This is nice work, fast too. I think to really bring it to the next level you can put a little more dirt and grunge into the paint, you already threw in the scruffs and scratches so some grunge can really add variation to the paint.

Ah thanks! Yeah I think I agree - my thought process was that there's already a lot of noise, and that I wanted to preserve some flatness, but I think I held back on it way too much. Maybe for next time I'll go for a painted dirt mask, so I can have the best of both worlds.
  • Paxwort
    Offline / Send Message
    Paxwort triangle
    crowlena said:

Nice! Side by side, I think the values look pretty spot-on. I'd actually suggest adding in some block materials, so you can get an early look at how those metallic highlights are going to behave in such extreme lighting conditions.

Maybe even some primitive placeholders for the curlies. Don't be held back by looks (or a "proper" approach) if you do those though, they're just a tool to understand the scene!
  • Pep_mepla
    Offline / Send Message

I sculpted the main stone on the front and the columns, these are just dirty low polys from DecimationMaster with autoUnwrap from Painter, but I wanted to test the look and feel of the columns
  • riceart
    Offline / Send Message
    Im calling it done. 6800tris.