Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Fedor Bortnik Final Major Project - project EUROPA

Hello everyone!

This is a thread where I will be showing and explaining my final semester project titled "EUROPA". This is the idea that I have worked on as a part of my Masters course in Game Art & Design, with a project deadline of August 21st 2024. I always enjoyed working on both the equipment and characters, and the way they can interact together. This work is the first foundation for my professional carreer in the 3D Character design.

Any type of feedback is welcomed here!

Project “Europa” is a story about an organization that builds itself from the ashes of an old de-civilized world, that has been affected by a planetary-scale war. This world had suffered many changes during the war, such as tactically valuable facilities created by many factions, destroyed cities, buildings, anomalous sites that were affected by many events (such as bombing, accidents, side effects of many operations, etc.), and so on. The people's lives have changed as well: many have perished, some survived through different ways - For example: by hiding in bunkers, untouched places, or by pure luck and dramatic effort during the crisis itself.

The story goes hundreds years after the crisis: from our main character's perspective - Jacob. He is an ex-military, who has wandered the lands continuously until the complete exhaustion as a way to escape his past. Eventually, he is found unconscious in the middle of the green fields by a dweller of these lands, and she decides to treat him at her home. After a long recovery, Jacob decides to stay in these lands in her house and start a new life, living peacefully and helping her in her daily tasks.

However, after two months - One of the key members from a neighbouring faction named “Elegia”, makes a surprise visit to their house, gently demanding their cooperation in their newly formed, long-term operation titled “Europa”, to which they have no choice but to agree to. Now, Jacob has to fight his way into completing harsh and sometimes dirty tasks from the ever growing faction, while being under tight time constraints.

With this project, I wanted to learn more about character creation, and by creating two characters and a weapon for them - I engaged in this field.

Replies

• D3lta_Fe
  • D3lta_Fe
    Concept Work:

Jacob is the main character of his story. He starts with a simple, weather proof equipment that provides no negative effects to him. In the current kit, he can travel large distances while experiencing reduced fatigue and is greatly resistant to poor weather. He can wear additional items on top of his clothes (such as satchel, rig and so on), if needed.

This is the weapon of the main character. An M1A Springfield riffle will be a good equipment part of Jacob's arsenal due to its overall fine combat capabilities in various scenarios. Besides that - It can be later customised by swapping the stock, adding various modifications and attachments. 

Stalker is not the character, but rather a rank in the Clan of a Blue Sun - a rising fanatical tribe, which aims to acquire many unknown technologies in order to grow. Stalkers travel foreign lands in order to loot the easy pickings of the secret sites, and then mark them for the tribe in order to establish control over them. Stalkers collect many items - and they can equip and use them against the enemies in order to survive.

• D3lta_Fe
  • kanga
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Congratulations on finishing your project. If your aim is to become a character artist then you are going to have to study and practice human anatomy, cloth, props, material, color composition and lighting. If you want to up your chances for employment then it wouldn't hurt to study and have a go at design, rigging, and basic animation.

Anatomy
    Looking at the character first off the face needs work. Then it looks a lot like you modeled the clothing without a figure to build on. The app above is Daz3D and its free and flexible. If you want to do this for a living best practice naked figures of both sexes and a variety of ages. First nail generic versions.

Cloth
    You should practice sculpting folds by using reference, and later on there are apps like Marvelous designer that can achieve results like the above.

Materials and Hard surface
    There are loads of reference images on the web, everything from real objects all the way through to fantasy weapons Look at wear and tear texturing (not just placing a grunge map over the entire model). You can do pretty advanced texturing in most 3d model apps but there are programs like marmoset and substance that will be useful later on.

Design Composition and Lighting
    Also loads of free information on the web. But most importantly, look at sites like this one and artstation for information and inspiration,to see what is being made and how.

Have fun!