Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Why Isn't My 3D Model Selling? Need Feedback

helloMher
node
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
helloMher node
I published a 3d model on cgtrader a few days ago and that 3d model is not selling well. Is the problem with my 3d model or not? I need your feedbacks. https://www.cgtrader.com/3d-models/electronics/video/sony-trinitron-kv-1300e

Replies

• Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I just don't think models sell that well on CG Trader. I had a bunch of stuff on there and only had one sale in 4 years
    You model seems fine to me, but from what I have heard they changed the algorithm, so new models do not get shown as much as ones that have been there  for a few years. Not sure if that's true, but I was a bit disappointed in the lack of interest I received
  • helloMher
    Ruz said:
    I just don't think mdoels sell that well on CG Trader. I had a bunch of stuff on there and only had one sale in 4 years
    You model seems fine to me, but from what I have heard they changed the algorithm, so new models do not get shown as much as ones that have been there  for a few years. Not sure if that's true, but I was a bit disappointed in the lack of interest I received
    What other platform can you recommend?
  • teodar23
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 sublime tool
    Its probably due to how niche your model is. How many people need that specific model of an old tv?
    Also, think about what is your target audience. if you make something for games you are narrowing down the maximum possible target audience. If you make something specific like an old tv you narrow it further. If you make a specific model of a certain tv prop you are narrowing it even further, get it?
  • grumix8
    Offline / Send Message
    grumix8 polycounter lvl 4
    You should go to artstation, the ebst way is that you amke a cartoon series in youtube and show them. It take time to sell and to show it make cartoon in internet.
  • helloMher
    teodar23 said:
    Its probably due to how niche your model is. How many people need that specific model of an old tv?
    Also, think about what is your target audience. if you make something for games you are narrowing down the maximum possible target audience. If you make something specific like an old tv you narrow it further. If you make a specific model of a certain tv prop you are narrowing it even further, get it?
    Thanks for the feedback! I completely understand your point. For my next project, what category of model do you think would be best to focus on for good sales?
  • helloMher
    Thanks for the advice! I’ll explore ArtStation and think about creating a cartoon series. However, do you think this specific model is suited for a cartoon, or should I focus on something else?"
  • Tiles
    Offline / Send Message
    Tiles greentooth
    I think one of the problems here is that it is a single unique item in a unique style. Nobody renders or uses just a tv asset. People wants sets that fits together. At 3d download pages search for popular. That's where the market is.
  • helloMher
    Tiles said:
    I think one of the problems here is that it is a single unique item in a unique style. Nobody renders or uses just a tv asset. People wants sets that fits together. At 3d download pages search for popular. That's where the market is.
    Thanks for the feedback)

• Frigus
    Offline / Send Message
    Frigus polycounter lvl 7
    If you want to sell quickly on cgtrader I would advice making 3d printable stl models. Especially popular game figures selling too quickly.
    And also upload many models have rating at least 7 then you will unlock which tag is currently searching by users, cgtrader will provide such tools if you upload at least 40 models on there. You can read market easily with them.
  • helloMher
    Frigus said:
    If you want to sell quickly on cgtrader I would advice making 3d printable stl models. Especially popular game figures selling too quickly.
    And also upload many models have rating at least 7 then you will unlock which tag is currently searching by users, cgtrader will provide such tools if you upload at least 40 models on there. You can read market easily with them.
    good.thanks for the advice))
  • Roxxor
    Offline / Send Message
    Roxxor polycounter lvl 13
    There was a white paper a while back (apologies, I couldn't re-find it) where CGTrader released their own internal research on what people were buying. Electronics tended to have a high price point, as people wanted to put in the latest iPhone into their renders, but had a sharp falloff on longevity, because it only lasted a year (because people wanted to latest iPhone model.)
    The best model to price points were rigged animal models (probably for commercials or animations) and vehicles, I mean hyper-real looking cars and trucks. These models easily sell for 150-200 bucks a pop, and it makes sense because they are incredibly difficult to model, and make look realistic, and they take a very long time to create.
    That said, if you are looking to model for money, you can't pick the things you want to make, you have to find a niche of products that people want, and create them. By creating for the market, you will get better because you will have to model things that you wouldn't normally model, and you will have to strive to make it of really high quality. Also, you should be charging more for your model. 5 dollars for a model is just insulting. Yes it's a good deal and a decent asset, but I there is a weird psychological effect with people that they will go for "middle value". They aren't going to pick the most expensive (I'm being ripped off), but they will be suspicious of a very cheap asset (this poly structure or UV setup is probably awful for such a cheap asset.)
    I have bought models for cheap, then immediately regretted it after inspecting the model and realizing I was going to have to do 2 or 3 hours of cleanup.
    Check this artist out: https://www.turbosquid.com/Search/Artists/BBB3viz
    Extremely talented artist modeling in a very saturated market, archviz and commands much higher prices than you would expect.  That should be your goal, so your back catalogue keeps making money each month.
    Hope this advice helped.

Best,
    Roxxor
  • helloMher
    Roxxor said:
    There was a white paper a while back (apologies, I couldn't re-find it) where CGTrader released their own internal research on what people were buying. Electronics tended to have a high price point, as people wanted to put in the latest iPhone into their renders, but had a sharp falloff on longevity, because it only lasted a year (because people wanted to latest iPhone model.)
    The best model to price points were rigged animal models (probably for commercials or animations) and vehicles, I mean hyper-real looking cars and trucks. These models easily sell for 150-200 bucks a pop, and it makes sense because they are incredibly difficult to model, and make look realistic, and they take a very long time to create.
    That said, if you are looking to model for money, you can't pick the things you want to make, you have to find a niche of products that people want, and create them. By creating for the market, you will get better because you will have to model things that you wouldn't normally model, and you will have to strive to make it of really high quality. Also, you should be charging more for your model. 5 dollars for a model is just insulting. Yes it's a good deal and a decent asset, but I there is a weird psychological effect with people that they will go for "middle value". They aren't going to pick the most expensive (I'm being ripped off), but they will be suspicious of a very cheap asset (this poly structure or UV setup is probably awful for such a cheap asset.)
    I have bought models for cheap, then immediately regretted it after inspecting the model and realizing I was going to have to do 2 or 3 hours of cleanup.
    Check this artist out: https://www.turbosquid.com/Search/Artists/BBB3viz
    Extremely talented artist modeling in a very saturated market, archviz and commands much higher prices than you would expect.  That should be your goal, so your back catalogue keeps making money each month.
    Hope this advice helped.

Best,
    Roxxor
    Thanks for the advice!