Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Bridge of Sighs

Hello first time posting on Polycount! 

Looking for any feedback on the lighting/materials on my current project based of a bridge in Cambridge. Or anything else you think I could do to improve! Thank you.

Replies

• teodar23
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 sublime tool
    Lighting is inconsistent, looks fake.
    The top towers or whatever they're called have a dark side away from the main lightsource but the bridge and building on the right side have a secondary light (probably a point light to fake some ambient/bounce light).
    Fake lights are great but dont overdo it. Try to keep it consistent.
    The textures are pretty repetitive, try using some decals or blend more textures on the same surfaces (vertex blend, macro textures or unique masks, whatever).
  • Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Personally I like the lighting- it does feel a tiny bit stylized, but I definitely wouldn't say inconsistent. 

For me the only thing that really pulls me out of it is the swan and ducks, which look very balloony and low detail. But otherwise, I quite like it.

Some details in the rest of the scene feel a little muddy / blurry, but it all depends what you're going for, and what the budget is.
  • zetheros
    Online / Send Message
    zetheros polycounter
    hmm seems a bit flat imo? Maybe the FoV is too narrow, feels like there could be more perspective. The scene could benefit from reflected light from the water, especially under the bridge. The transition from water to brick could be darker with moss and grime. The water in general looks a bit grainy, and the bridge texture could be higher res, looking closer the gaps/grout are just straight lines, not sure if one of your screenshots are actually of the LoD

• JoeBates
    teodar23 said:
    Lighting is inconsistent, looks fake.
    The top towers or whatever they're called have a dark side away from the main lightsource but the bridge and building on the right side have a secondary light (probably a point light to fake some ambient/bounce light).
    Fake lights are great but dont overdo it. Try to keep it consistent.
    The textures are pretty repetitive, try using some decals or blend more textures on the same surfaces (vertex blend, macro textures or unique masks, whatever).
    Ok thank you! I do indeed have a secondary light pointing towards to bridge at the moment to try make it stand out more as a focal point but I will tone it down a little to improve that.

I am currently using vertex painting and RGBA masks with a few decals on top but I will have another pass on it to increase the difference between some of my textures.

Thank you.
  • JoeBates
    Joopson said:
    Personally I like the lighting- it does feel a tiny bit stylized, but I definitely wouldn't say inconsistent. 

For me the only thing that really pulls me out of it is the swan and ducks, which look very balloony and low detail. But otherwise, I quite like it.

Some details in the rest of the scene feel a little muddy / blurry, but it all depends what you're going for, and what the budget is.
    I am trying to go for a realistic look so it looking stylized is not my aim I will try find some more reference and improve on that.

The swans and ducks (and pigeons) I found online and I agree I think they should probably be removed.

I am really just trying to make it look as good/realistic as possible so think I will have another pass on my textures to try get rid of any blurry ones.

Thank you!
  • JoeBates
    zetheros said:
    hmm seems a bit flat imo? Maybe the FoV is too narrow, feels like there could be more perspective. The scene could benefit from reflected light from the water, especially under the bridge. The transition from water to brick could be darker with moss and grime. The water in general looks a bit grainy, and the bridge texture could be higher res, looking closer the gaps/grout are just straight lines, not sure if one of your screenshots are actually of the LoD

I have this second camera set up with a different fov that I think looks a bit nicer at the moment. I will also add some reflected light onto the underside of the bridge, currently im using a point light to add some "light" there.

My texturing seems to be the main issue at the moment so I wll have another pass on those.

Thank you!

• JoeBates
  • Eric Chadwick
    This is awesome. Kudos for working on this!

Since this a speciofic real-world location, I would suggest searching for photos of the location, at the same time of day, sunset. Try to adjust your camera angle and lighting to match one of the photos. Then you can more easily judge what might be lacking. This is a great way to help you judge your work, since you have a 1:1 reference to compare against, and to give you an inspiration to work towards. Once you've matched it as close as you can, then you will have a solid base, and you can start to branch out and stylize.

• JoeBates
    This is awesome. Kudos for working on this!

Since this a speciofic real-world location, I would suggest searching for photos of the location, at the same time of day, sunset. Try to adjust your camera angle and lighting to match one of the photos. Then you can more easily judge what might be lacking. This is a great way to help you judge your work, since you have a 1:1 reference to compare against, and to give you an inspiration to work towards. Once you've matched it as close as you can, then you will have a solid base, and you can start to branch out and stylize.

Thank you very much! I will have a go at that today!
  • JoeBates

Trying to match this as reference, think its getting close but the lighting needs some more tweaking!

• JoeBates
  • teodar23
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 sublime tool
    Better, but the sky doesnt match the time of day that the sun conveys.
    Also the fake fill light has shadows which look kinda weird, might want to disable that
  • JoeBates
    teodar23 said:
    Better, but the sky doesnt match the time of day that the sun conveys.
    Also the fake fill light has shadows which look kinda weird, might want to disable that

Thank you! Yeah I think the hdri im using needs changing to at least have some clouds with an orange glow inside, also I am not using a fill light so I have no idea where they are coming from.
  • JoeBates

Current update, matched the sky to the lighting a little better and altered the camera.
  • JoeBates