Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Final Major Project | Dustbound [ Feedback Needed]

Hi all!
I'm doing a Master's in Games Art & Design, I will be sharing the progress of my final major project here. 
I am creating a Cinematic for my sci-fi game Dustbound inspired by Dune and Starwars. Dustbound is a military science fiction third-person shooter game that depicts a distant future where humanity and several alien civilizations have colonized the galaxy using technology and sources.

Rough storyline :
Our protagonist receives urgent information: the city is under siege. Quickly, they trigger the city-wide alarm, gathering its defences. With fellow soldiers, they board their aircraft, Launching towards the unfolding conflict.

Replies

• mertsakli
    My Concepts for Main Scenes and Assets

I primarily use ready-made assets for my characters, as my main focus and strength lie in creating detailed environments. This allows me to put more time and energy into the areas where I excel and am most confident.
    And I also have my concepts for a smaller aircraft and a launchpad. 

All were created using Midjourney Ai
  • mertsakli
    For my exterior design, I modelled low-poly wall sections and added details using displacement maps. I generated these maps with a program called JSplacement, a free tool that procedurally creates sci-fi greeble displacement maps.

For the interior of the headquarters, I modeled sci-fi metal panels and a central table featuring a holographic display.

For the landscape, I sculpted a desert landscape using a heightmap and I designed a auto paint material.

Last update for one of my main objects a VTOL aircraft. 
    For this prop, my main focus was optimization. I modelled a low-poly asset and textured it in substance.

• mertsakli
    VFX

I created a layered sandstorm using Niagara, incorporating flying particle effects and sand clouds. To add more depth and richness to the scene, I also designed a moving sand decal for the landscape. Here is a GIF to showcase it. And feel free to give me feedback about it. This is my first time using Niagara.

• mertsakli
    The final Cinematic 
    My main focus was the camera angles and the movement of the cameras. I tried my best to render it in the highest resolution. I faced some issues like shadows disappearing and exponential fog not acting properly in renders. 
    I edited the sequences and the sound very quickly. So I know the post-processing can be better but I hope you enjoy it and feel free to give me feedback for evaluation. https://youtu.be/STuMdWIchFw