Home General Discussion

Childrens books: illustration and writing

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
Stinger88 polycounter
Has anybody here had any experience of it, or have any advice about the industry?

having researched a little it seems like nice job to do but doesnt pay well. But I do plan to do this as a side project to begin with to see how things go. But having my name on something published would be awesome.

I've been increasingly eager to get started on an idea I've been sitting on for a few years now. I plan to create a few short stories for 6-12 years olds. I have some experience doing childrens book illustration and storyboarding (which was a similar project) at college and I really enjoyed it.

I'm still considering how I'll be doing the illustrations but it'll most probably involve ZBrush. However, I know that publishers generally like to see "real" media for childrens books, (paints, pencils, etc) because children like to be able to see how its drawn and copy it. At least this is what I gather from some research. But I think 3D has a place in childrens books, especially with evolving tech, etc. Having said that, I am considering hand drawing it as well. Will see.

Also. I know that writing a childrens book isnt as easy as "once upon a time". So i'll have to see how that goes.

Thoughts?

Replies

• Max668
    Offline / Send Message
    Max668 polycounter lvl 10
    My thought is story picks de media... 

When you write a story the media you will use will be chosen depending on how you want the reader to feel.

I myself am trying to illustrate some of my books. I would be interested to see your work 
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    Can only speak for the german market. It has always been a tough place work in. Lots of competition of peope who do it as their passion or hobby, so if you go in that space to make bank, it really isnt the space for this. Publishers know and use it.
    Also it's one of the markets really hit by AI trash content, so even cheaper competitors who produce mass in no time.

If you are fine with doing what YOU want to do and not make money, maybe get lucky, likely will not, have fun!
  • Eric Chadwick
    Graphic Artists Guild Handbook: Pricing & Ethical Guidelines  
    This is one of the best go-to's for children's book illustrators, and really any other kind of commercial artist. Plus they handle pricing guidelines, legal info, copyright law, sample contracts, how to negotiate, and more. Highly recommended. If you want to learn about how to work effectively in illustration, read this. As a bonus, most big-city libraries have a copy, if you don't want to buy. 
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    just take this with a grain of salt. this is all US american, you can not join the guild and all those numbers are very relative.
    I don't know the UK market, can't tell how intertwined the childrens book markets is with the US one etc.
    there are likely local guilds with information tho and people with experience across the pond.