Home General Discussion

maxon zbrush shady practices

grand marshal polycounter
Offline / Send Message
Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
i have a legacy perpetual license of zbrush, 2018-2021. I tried to download that the other day. 

first i got an error message saying that because of the ongoing conflict in ukraine, they will not issue licenses to anybody in ukraine or russia. Okay? I am in USA.

But lets just think about that odd excuse for a moment. Because there is a war, nobody in the warring countries gets to use zbrush? What is that helping?

Anyway, they give you a link for support, and this goes to 404 error page. 

Let's be real, this is most likely just bog-standard corporate tactics to encourage purchase of the new subscription. 

Luckily for me in this case, I realized that maya actually has tool to accomplish what I thought only zbrush could do, so no need to jump through the next series of hurdles to download software i bought years ago with a perpetual license.

Only thing maxon will encourage with this type of nonsense is pirating. If I was able to easily keep using my perpetual license i would be more likely to want to upgrade if the tool remains something that i regularly use. As is, I doubt I'll be using zbrush again.

Replies

• NikhilR
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    Honestly you won't believe how many artists use pirated copies of zbrush.
    I'm 100% certain that every artist on the zbrush Screensaver has used a pirated zbrush atleast once.
    Wish pixologic would have sold zbrush to epic or valve rather than Maxon.
    I know of many artists that use pirated zbrush and then claim the output is from blender.
    Since you can't really trace the software used in a models meta data, unless you're a larger studio that could risk a lawsuit over pirated software use, I don't feel that anyone who pirates zbrush risks much. 
    Many AAA companies outsource art to studios in China, India who outsource to 3rd part contractors working out of shoe box apartments for pennies.
    I don't think they care about zbrush subscriptions.
    Not encouraging piracy just stating the facts.
    Bizarre move by Maxon to disallow zbrush use in Ukraine/Russia because of the war
  • Alex_J
    Offline / Send Message
    it's just tiresome that the bigger and richer a company gets, the more they want to nickel and dime. it's like the opposite of what you would expect

if poor, then need to be a bit of scumbag to get by
    if rich, help everybody

but business does it the opposite. when new, give everything away for free to get people hooked
    once they are hooked, be a scumbag

the war thing makes no sense, would be interesting if there is some official explanation about that. Imagine being an artist in ukraine and now in addition to your friends being blown up, zbrush doesn't want to help you make a living anymore. wtf?

• NikhilR
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    I found this from Maxon about the suspension, but its for Russia, so not sure why you received the message,
    https://www.maxon.net/en/article/responding-to-the-ukraine-crisis

Not enitrely sure if the subscription model is actually sustainable for companies like Maxon, it clearly hasn't stopped piracy.

• poopipe
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    tbf pixologic were fucking awful with this sort of thing.  I once had to wait 3 weeks to get a licensing/key issue reactivated - thats a full commercial license sold to a business, not just some pleb. 
    they also managed to 'lose' a license once - no solution to it, the license just went away. 

i dont feel particularly inclined to complain though - I bought my personal license in about 2005 for 300quid and haven't had to give them any money since.  
  • pxgeek
    Offline / Send Message
    pxgeek greentooth
    hmm....fishy indeed.

Have you tried to access your license status with the 'my licenses' page under the pixologic domain name? I think the old perpetual licenses are managed thru that portal instead of the maxon page. I only mention it because I had to access it about a month ago and it seemed fine.
  • Alex_J
    Offline / Send Message
    @pxgeek yeah that is same portal I went through. It is more likely a bug than intentional but for the big shots I just assume intent by default because they'll lie about anything and everything. 

i was only activating zbrush for a small task that i was able to do in maya so i don't care that much to deal with it at the moment, just triggered my PTSD from dealing with lousy phone companies and similar who make it impossible to do anything they don't want you to do. Like keep charging you after you cancelled three times, etc. And the ukraine thing is just weird. 

• kanga
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Did you buy the software and register it in the Ukraine and then move to America? If you get a 404 when trying to access support then write a post on the forum. The policy of refusing support to Ukraine sounds anti international policy. If you have told us the whole story I'm pretty sure you will find help through zbrush central. I've been using zB since 2004 and had really good contact with support over that time. This sounds fishy to me.
  • Alex_J
    Offline / Send Message
    i have no connections with ukraine in any way. 

just tried the portal again and now it has begun the download without issue. It also automatically logged me in, whereas last time I had to enter password. Perhaps some sort of authentication issue? For sake of curiosity still interested about the ukraine/russia message though. Any ukrainians/russians get a message like that?

• myclay
    Offline / Send Message
    myclay polycounter lvl 11
    It is standard procedure to deny embargoed/warfaring countries and or areas access to dual-use items/ non listed dual-use goods.
    3D Software can fall into the above mentioned dual use categories.
    When you can´t ensure its not falling into the hands of the other side, it might be ruled to deny it to both sides.
    ZBrush can be used for mold tooling, has its uses in CNC and surface machining, for the usage with filamentary materials.
    DCC tools can thus easily be used or repurposed into being useful tools for warfare.

Many 3D programs and hardware products have stipulations that it can´t be used for war purposes.
    Sometimes you can obtain a separate license for military purposes with a lot of vetting and additionally government approvement.

Maxon/ Nemetschek Group sells multiple DCC tools not only ZBrush and is using payment systems which have to adhere to the set rules of embargoes.
    that also goes the other way, VISA and Mastercard also put thier rules on those which use thier payment systems.

It is Imo not shady practice, more being cautious and adhering to the law be it international law or within the EU.

• Alex_J
    Offline / Send Message
    @myclay
    thanks for the explanation!