Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Left for Dead in the Midwest - Environment

cforce5
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
cforce5 polycounter lvl 3
This environment is my Mentorship project from Think Tank Online. The town is fully built and rendered in Unreal 5. I am responsible for all aspects of the scene except for the trees and bushes and some small background props which are Megascans assets and the background cars which are 3d scans from Sketchfab by Ashkelon.

I wanted to share this here as this website, specifically the bi-monthly environment art challenges, was part of what got me interested in this sort of thing to begin with and striving to do it at a higher level lead me to Think Tank.

For anyone interested, there are more images and a cinematic demo reel posted on my Artstation (https://www.artstation.com/artwork/XgyR8w) and I will be posting a more detailed breakdown of the scene in the coming weeks. Any feedback here is also greatly appreciated and welcomed of course.

Replies

• shabba
    Offline / Send Message
    shabba polycounter lvl 15
    - in the first image my eye is drawn to the chimney because it’s the most colorful and saturated thing in the scene, and everything else is flat and mute. The lighting is flat and it’s all in a neutral tonal range, nothing stands out as a focal point or point of interest.

- the car angle is too straight on, and creates tension, angle it more to help support movement
    - the placement of the grass doesn’t help compositionally, it creates a blocker and forces my eye to the center of the image where nothing is
    -looks like you have scale and height problems with the power utilities and potentially the car is oversized, being the same height as the pumps 
    - I’d move the grass in the foreground left, creating a common route vehicles take in a “C” shape up to the gas pumps, helping draw the eye to the gas statio. Focal point and then around and through the image
    - I’d choose a realistic looking sky for variation of colour and tone

and maybe consider changing the angles of certain things so they all don’t feel like they are facing the same direction

id also probably choose a new composition with FOV and camera frustum to get something stronger

all of these comments are in regards to the first image