Home Career & Education

Game Artist

Hello everyone, 

I have a question and I did not know where to ask . I have a job offer to be a game artist for an idle game on smartphone. I wish to know how long in terms of hours does it take to make the visuals of a game when you're a beginner.
I also wanted to know in how many steps do you divide the visuals of a game.

Thank you for your answers, 

Replies

• Neox
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    How long is a piece of string?

It depends

I think we are going to need more info.

In general, if you can not put time to the entire task, break it down to manageable units, then sum it up
  • Leinad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Leinad polycounter lvl 11
    amylia said:
    Hello everyone, 

I have a question and I did not know where to ask . I have a job offer to be a game artist for an idle game on smartphone. I wish to know how long in terms of hours does it take to make the visuals of a game when you're a beginner.
    I also wanted to know in how many steps do you divide the visuals of a game.

Thank you for your answers, 
    These types of questions aren't really useful when starting out.
    Your manager/director should be communicating with you about your tasks/expectations and hopefully providing guidance. All you really can do is do your best.

Usually it takes 3-6 months for the average artist to ramp up fully with the appropriate amount of training. If you're wearing multiple hats then there is no "steps"... It's mostly iterating until something works. It's all about learning as you go and adapting. Steps/pipelines/workflows are more set-in-stone in bigger studios. Most indie games are quite chaotic in terms of art workflow/process/pipeline.

My advice would be to simply do your best and communicate with your manager to receive feedback.