Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hero Prop WIP - Sholes and Glidden typewriter

AllenRoss
vertex
Offline / Send Message
AllenRoss vertex

Hello!  My goal was to post the whole project from beginning to end but i became very engrossed in it and have nearly finished the low poly for this prop.  I should be starting the unwrap and sculpt tomorrow so here are some screenshots below.  As for the hero asset itself, i wanted to create something that the player would get very close to and be able to interact with.  I'll keep this up to date throughout the week.  Critiques are always welcome.

Replies

• AllenRoss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AllenRoss vertex
    A small update.  The low poly is fully modeled out and I've finished UV mapping out the geometry.  It's defiantly a poly heavy asset clocking in at around 18.5k tris and that was after a first optimization pass.  I think that after I finish my high poly and do the first bake i'll be able to figure out if there are areas that I can further cut some polys that won't warp the silhouette. 

I do have one question though.  At the end of my UV mapping I have planned one 2k texture map and two 1k texture maps due to the total amount of parts involved with this piece.  So my question is, if that many maps are acceptable for a high poly asset such as this or should I reconfigure what I have?  The majority of small pieces that have duplicates are instanced while the larger surfaces have been left alone to allow for asymmetric detail.

Here's an updated image of the low poly. 

• AllenRoss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AllenRoss vertex
    UPDATE:   I seemed to have fallen behind in showing off my progress here so here's one of my final render shots of how it turned out.  All the program information is available on my Artstation if your interested in what I used.  I'm going to start on an interior environment in a few days and I plan to keep that thread up to date more frequently than this one.  Any and all critiques are always welcome.

• Hoodoo2001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is really lovely. I used to collect typewriters but this one is the Holy Grail of typewriter collectors and when found are in the 20,000 US dollar range.  I would love to print one of these.  Will this model be available?  Would it be in major subassembly's to permit full size printing.  just a display model but a really glorious typewriter.