Home Technical Talk

Best Workflow for Attaching Windows to Buildings in Game 3D Modeling: Merging vs. Independent Meshes

Hey everyone,

I'm currently working on a 3D modeling project for a game and I'm wondering about the best workflow for attaching windows to a building. Should I merge the vertices of the window with the building (which would consequently add edges to the base of the building, making it a single composite part), or would it be better to create independent building foundation with windows as separate meshes (separate parts)?

I'm leaning towards the latter option as it allows for easier manipulation and modification of individual elements, but I'm curious to hear your thoughts and experiences on this matter. What workflow do you find most efficient and practical for game development projects?

Looking forward to your insights and suggestions!

Cheers!

Replies

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    i generally dont combine unless there is a compelling reason to do. 

separate things are relatively easy to combine, but once you combine it's more hassle to uncombine later if you need to. And for an environment kit for games, you have more flexibility to change position of windows if they are their own entity.

As far as the modeling goes, its way easier to keep things separate if you can, this way topology changes in A don't affect B.