Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Jeep Willys MB - Insides & Outsides [WIP]

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Jalalzai polycounter lvl 3
hello everyone,

Jeep willys MB.... decided to make this one as detailed as my skill allows me to which I hope will become a bit better once I am done with this model and I really hope some of you will guide me throught it if you see me making a mistake here or there.

I don't really know the purpose of this model, whether it will be useful as a portfolio piece or no but I am having tons of fun making it.

In order to get the main dimensions set, I started by making the base body kit, for now it is a simple model just to get the dimensions right for the rest of the model as I am actually going to start by making the chasis and under the hood, then the rest of the car.

Now that the base dimensions are set and I can figure out the rest of the model, I started by making out the chasis and the suspension system because it should match the height of the wheel to the reference images that I had found online.

After the suspension and the I had to make the axel "Didn't find any good references for the front Axel assembly so I just made something that would look like it"  so I can place the start of the steering assembly and therefor be able to connect the weels to the chasis.

After that it was just matter of connecting the steering and suspension with the wheels, I don't know how it is exactly connected but I found a youtube video where I saw a glimpse of that exact area, so I approximated it.

And that's where the model is so far, I will continue working on making the middle and back of the chasis now, and after that move on to making the engine and rest of the stuff under the hood, for obvious reasons I won't making the insides of the engine just the exterior view but I'll try to make everything that exists under the hood.

Any tips from people who have attempted a project like this would be appreciated, critiques also welcome from everyone so that the end product might look good and that I might learn new techniques along the way.

So far I am anticipating that the UVW mapping will be the hardest part of a model this detailed, but I am thinking that the engine and it's surroundings will be one UV set, the chasis and suspension another, the body kit a third and interior the fourth texture set.

P.S, All the nuts and bolts are placeholders for now as I will have to join them into a single model anyways when im done, thought I'd leave the finer details to the end.

Replies

• Jalalzai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, so I decided to make the steering assembly and the back of the car chasis today and it fits the body kit.

here is where the transmission will be:

I have noticed that I need to change the shading on the wheel:

It fits the body kit :)

The steering assembly :

After this I will move on to working on the braking system lines and after that the engine and transmission. I also need to figure out how to create realistic welding work without using Zbrush because there is so much welding work in this car.
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    If you're planning to texture in substance, maybe weld generator might be an option?

EDIT:
    Though not a user, nevertheless imo outputs fairly reasonable results.
  • Jalalzai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @sacboi Yes, I thought of that just don't know how well it would work in between seams, for now I was thinking of making a blob liquid kind of mesh from a spline line into cylinder then apply a noise map displacement, at the welding points to make them look like a bad welding job.

Something Like this but I have to make the mesh a bit more noisy and add some bubbles to the edges of the welding job and it is fairly easy to make, you just select the edges where you want welding done and turn it into spline, then copy and paste the modifiers to the next one... boolean might be a bit extra work but it might look better in normal maps : 

With boolean:
    \

Without Boolean:

• Jalalzai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Today I finished the transfer case and transmission assembly also did the gas and break pedals, next up will work on bell housing and the main engine block.

The transmission system:

The gas and brake pedals: 

Also fixed the proportions of the back frame metals: 

• Jalalzai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Started working on the engine the more I get into a around the engine, the more complicated it gets... I guess with enough  patience ill get it done it's scary thinking about texturing all of this I think I bit more than I can chew... but I'm going to finish it, progress has been a bit slow these past few days, busy with life and hwatnot.

rea

• Jalalzai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Does anyone know how to automate texture importing and material creation ?, like is there a script for it, wish I knew some coding.

For example the objects in the scene are named like:
    Jeep_Engine
    Jeep_Tires

Auto material script creates for all objects (Mat-"object's name"):
    Mat-Jeep_Engine
    Mat-Jeep_Tires

And substance creates for all textures:

Mat-Jeep_Engine-Basecolor
    Mat-Jeep_Tires-Basecolor

and the import script sets:

"Mat-Jeep_Engine-Basecolor.png" to "Mat-Jeep_Engine" ---> Basecolor Input

and so on for the roughness, metallness etc. would really speed up the texturing process