Home Marmoset

Issue I encounter in marmosoft

Wolfer
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Wolfer polycounter lvl 7
Hi for some reason when i do baking in marmosoft i get this issue on my model, i see on the cage that the piece for it is missing. the weird thing is on substance painter i don't get the issue. what is causing this. I already checked the face orientation multiple times. Been at this for a day trying to figure out these problems lol.  Here is a picture of that

Also if I may add, trying to bake these details.  The left one is the high poly and the one on the right is the result from baking. Do I need to make those details bigger to be baked or maybe that the best they can do.  

Replies

• Fabi_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabi_G insane polycounter
    Hi! Ideally share the lowpoly of the part this is happening with for testing.

I think the second issue is due to the texture resolution being to low. Of course a simple option here is to increase overall resolution. Or you could try re-using parts texture for repeating details. Using a debug texture while unwrapping, you could preview whether the density is sufficient.
  • Wolfer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wolfer polycounter lvl 7
    By ideally share the lowpoly part, do you mean just show the low poly how it looks before. Here it is how it looks before. If you mean the whole model i can do that.

For the second part, yeah i see the texture set for master was set to low so i set it to 4k size and got this result
    When you mean "using some debug texture while unwrapping, you could preview whether the density is sufficient" do you mean like the checked pattern that is used like this. Just making sure i get my terms down
  • Fabi_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi! By sharing the lowpoly, I meant sharing the actual mesh, for example zipped and attached to a post, so it's possible to reproduce your exact issue and find a solution.

Yes, that's right, using some texture like that, in the resolution youre going to use. Depending on the texture, you should be able to tell whether you have enough pixels to pick up the highpoly information while doing the UV unwrapping.

Judging from the screenshot the sides of dials of the dials on top are one island with the cylinder cap. I would maybe have them as separate straightened strips, like it seems to be the case with the dial on the side, so the UVs align with the pixel grid - less visible stepping on straight lines.

• Wolfer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wolfer polycounter lvl 7
    Thank you for taking the time to answer and help me out. First here is the low poly and high poly mesh.

I will say the issue with the dials that did help was that marmosoft texture set was set to low so i had to fix that up.  Also the dials on the side i did have the strips as seperate straighted strips.  So they are just normal strips for the high poly.  Really appreciate the help.
  • Fabi_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, loaded the meshes into Toolbag 4 using the Quick Loader functionality and adjusted the cage offset some. Curiously, I couldn't reproduce the issue (assuming I'm looking at the right place). 

Looking at the meshes/bake groups, they are currently not used to full effect, as the gun is divided into broad sections - adjacent parts within a section still project onto each other.

Other notes:
    - There is some weird spike at the inside of the scope/eye-piece.
    - Model has some occluded geometry, a consideration here has to be that it uses UV space too.
    - Some bevels (on dials) are so tight geometry could be shaved off (seam between cap and side, hard edge to break shading) 
    - Looking at the UVs, (as already mentioned) splitting cylindrical elements consistently into straightened sides and caps would improve the result imo. You did so with some, but not with others. I would go for consistency here.
    - wider bevels on high-poly are more thankful to bake and hold up on farther viewing distance. 

Well that's my thoughts, as a generalist. In the end, if it works, it works. But I think the cleaner you can make it, the more you can potentially squeeze out.
  • Wolfer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wolfer polycounter lvl 7
    This actually has been helpful and something to keep in mind. I will say I been following a tutorial that was to also help me get use to the add on of hard op and boxcutter so was following how they did it but this is quite helpful info. I'll see about these issue. Thank you