Home General Discussion

Whats your favorite retopology tool?

ModBlue
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
ModBlue polycounter lvl 7
I really like using an add on for Blender called the PolyQuilt tool which works very similarly to Maya's Quad Draw which I also like, but it has even more functionality since you can work in other modes beyond vertex (edges, tris, quads and n-gons) and because your doing this in edit mode, you have access to Blenders full poly modeling toolkit for even more flexibility. I like working on a vertex by vertex basis personally because of the speed, precision and total freedom to edit the mesh at whatever point I want. This is the way.

Blender does have a built in one called the PolyPen, but its a bit limiting for my tastes. Additionally it requires a fair bit of time to setup and I've noticed it will glitch at times as faces you lay down wont stick to the live surface/high poly. I've tried others like Topogun, but just can't get over being stuck with face/edge editing without the ability to just lay down vertexes. 3D Coat is a popular option, but I don't even understand how to navigate the thing due to its clunky UI, much less get a retopo process going. I've not tried 3DS Max for retopology but I would assume its good for it since Max often gets praise for its modeling tools.

For Blender users interested in it, you can download it here for free. PolyQuilt - Blender (blender-addons.org)

While I generally loathe doing retopology, PolyQuit makes it manageable and perhaps dare I say fun at times.

Replies