Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Critiques on my model hand

Hi guys new here, thanks for having me.

Been working on my modelling skills, I enjoy sculpting. 

I created this model hand to test my skills and I would love your pro feed back if you can. 

Any tips or advice will help, thank you. 

Replies

• Fabi_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabi_G insane polycounter
    Hi! I think mainly you can improve the construction/anatomy, in particular the ball of the hand. Did you make use references?

Most obvious and quickest thing you can do is look at your own hands to make observations. While modeling/sculpting I recommend to have a collection of (anatomical) references on the side, maybe even some models/scans to inspect in 3d. (Btw, the wiki contains some modeled hands, with focus on topology: http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Limb_Topology)

What I feel helps when creating a model is to blockout the subject with separated, simple shapes first, put everything in the right place, then merge/remesh and sculpt on top.

Most importantly keep practicing, I think getting better at anatomy is a long-term goal. Might get increased gains doing 2d studies too. As hands are a common subject, there are infinite studies/resources on them (Bammes, Loomis, DaVinci, ...).
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    hands are really tough. this is one of my hands, which is far from great, but has a lot more structure/detail
    my advice is just keep on practicing as they are quite tough, make you go insane :)
    I use the dam standard quite a lot to kind of sketch out the details