Home Adobe Substance

Bake issue: High res is mirrored in one place?

Hello!  Not sure if this is a bug, or user error.  Bit of a noob, but I've encountered an issue I've never come accross before.  Trying to search for this issue didn't yield anything useful yet.

I'm trying to bake my model and everything is working as it should be except for the pants.  The high res is mirrored for some reason and I'm not sure what's causing it.  I got the bake to work once before without issue, but needed to adjust my mesh and UVs.  Bare in mind the UV I made changes to was the hair and not the pants.  The pants are the same but when I tried the bake again I got this.  Any idea what is going on?

I've included screens of the UV set in question as well as the bake settings.  I am trying to use Vertex Color ID if that helps at all.

I did freeze transforms before hand
I am using match by mesh name

Replies

• MisterNacky
    Forgot to add what it SHOULD look like

• Fabi_G
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Fabi_G insane polycounter
    Hi! What do the UVs look like? Are they mirrored? Share the mesh if you want it looked at.
  • MisterNacky
    If looking at the UV's isn't enough I'll grab the mesh, let me post the UV first.

• Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    To me that area looks mirrored in the UVs, unless I'm missing something?
  • MisterNacky
    The mesh was cut in half, UVed then flipped and off set. Each texture sheet is assigned a material. EX head has it’s on material, body has it’s own, etc. Originally I baked this model the way I am comfortable with, which is using UDIMS. Every thing baked fine, including the mirrored UVs. No problem. When I got rid of the UDIMS and stacked everything and added the Vertex Color ID everything baked fine. It wasn’t until I started messing with the mesh and re-exported out of maya that I ran into this issue.

I’m very inexperienced so it’s hard for me to talk on a technical level about this so I’m sure there is a piece of the puzzle I’m missing. I’m just very perplexed by the fact that it worked before but doesn’t seem to now.

I even tried flipping the UV in question, (the one that makes up the right sides of the pants) but that only yielded a worse result.
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    So, you're saying crotch-leg 2 has a separate material entirely than crotch-leg 1?

I'm not familiar with UDIMs so can't speak to that part of your story, but for a traditional workflow, the 0-1 space (the lighter gray square where most of your UV elements are) is the only space that gets unique texture information-- it gets tiled infinitely outside of that space. So, though your crotch-leg 2 is offset, because it's out of the 0-1 space, it's only going to receive texture information identical to that of crotch-leg 1. It won't/can't receive its own bake information if it's out of the 0-1 space.
  • MisterNacky
    Yes right now it's only one material. So it sounds like I need to stack the identical UVs in the 01 space. What is the solution to getting this to match my high res? (I am learning this workflow for a mentorship so I want to get it right).
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    It needs its own UV space within the 0-1 area-- not stacked. So some shifting around of other UV elements/islands would have to be done to fit it in there.

Even if the UVs are identical, if the texture needs to be unique it can't be stacked.
  • MisterNacky
    Ah I understand. Valuable info! I'm still perplexed as to why it worked before, as is, but not now. Perhaps that was a bug, haha. But everything you are saying makes sense to me. Thank you so much for your help. I will play with fixing this tomorrow. If I'm still having issues, I will let you know.

(Love the portfolio!)