Home Technical Talk

How exactly is this done?

Gaurdo
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Gaurdo polycounter lvl 4
Hello everyone guys! Its my first post here, so i am sorry if something made wrong.

This model was made approximately in 2013-2014 for Assassins Creed Syndicate, by a very talented artist Mathieu Goulet.  https://www.artstation.com/artwork/lEkPz

Does anyone have any ideas on how exactly these clothes were modeled? And in particular the solutions I marked with color.

How do you think the pipeline should be built in order to obtain a model of such quality?

I would be very grateful for any help!

Replies

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    look up @Pav3d they have shown a few breakdowns of embroidery work like this here on polycount. just look up their thread history
  • Gaurdo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gaurdo polycounter lvl 4
    Hey there sir! =)  That is not exactly what  am looking for? But it could be useful too. Thanks alot !
  • Pav3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pav3d insane polycounter
    Hey this is something I always wondered when I started doing complex embroidery, and is a result of several techniques. While this was done in the high poly sculpt back in 2013, it would make more sense to do it in Substance Painter or even as geometry in something like Houdini or Maya today.
    Below is a breakdown of how I would approach it and a bit of guess work as to what was available at the time
    1. This was most likely several alphas that were made in photoshop and then cleaned up manually in the sculpt after.
    2. This would have been just a stitch brush with the needle holes as part of the alpha. The way they are so perfectly straight is due to lazy brush and a lot of trial and error and adjustment, it takes a while :P
    3. These noise folds or wrinkles would again be a brush. in the past ive done details like this manually by alternating add/sub with a standard brush.
    4. To get this all working together you would need to use a layers in conjunction with morph targets, so you can remove things that overlap and delete things as you go. It would also take a very highly subdivided mesh, or a mesh with the topology distributed in a way that would make this jacket trim more dense.
    Hope that makes sense!
  • Gaurdo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gaurdo polycounter lvl 4
    I would like to express my gratitude for paying attention to the topic I created. And I want to apologize for such a late response. I am very pleased that a person with such a high level of skill took the time to consider my problem.
  • Alemja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja hero character
    A few thoughts come into my mind on how you could achieve something similar:
    • If the design is repeated at all, you can UV the section of jacket and then use the surface noise with an alpha for a tiled result. I don't think it's done here as It seems more hand crafted but it's an option
    • It's very possible the embroidery is a bunch of separate extractions from the jacket, so they are their own mesh. On the far shoulder you can see some of the designs lifting from the mesh a little bit as a few of the larger embroidery pieces on the other side of the jacket opening. it'd in such a minor way you won't notice when you bake though. This could make the file a lot easier to work with as the jacket and embroidery will have their own subdivisions and won't need to be merged until you have to bake. Separating the pieces out like this also make it a lot easier to apply alphas.
    I highlighted some of the lifting designs here:

Pretty much to achieve this, you would get the major wrinkles of the jacket down first, mask out the design you want to extract. Extract, zremesh and reshape as needed. Then you would do what Pav3D talked about, using alphas, morph targets and things like that on the jacket to help make give them that embedded look.