Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Weekly updates on my new 3D journey : seeking advices/feedbacks if possible :)

triangle
Offline / Send Message
Mehdi_Fr triangle
Hello everyone , to be honest i wanted to make my own journey here mainly to trick my brain and force it to practice and post updates every week ( i know it's weird but it kinda works for me ) also to get some advices on how to improve  , i know its gonna be a tough road but i think im up to the challenge and ofc the goal is to get into the gaming industrie . 

first , i actually started 3D in the end of 2022 but i guess i started it in the" wrong way " because all that i did was practicing anatomy sculpting naked body and faces and i didn't pay much attention to the cloths and the fundemental of 3D , like poly modeling , topologie , UVs , tetxture , light and composition , and i think that's the problem with every self-taught person like you don't know what to practice .. i also  encouter some psychological problems during that year because of my lack drawing skills , ( i only draw some anime characters when i was young ) , my age , negative thoughts and doubts  and i realized that the only way to overcome this is just to " men up " and force yourself to practice , at least that what works for me .. anyway i don't want to make this too personal but i thought maybe that crazy advice will help someone . 

well my passion is in characters and i want to be character artist but after the conclusion of what everybody said to me , there's things need to be done which is improving fundementals an that's what im gonna do this whole year 

Replies

• Mehdi_Fr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mehdi_Fr triangle
    okay the journey started today i will post what i did and what i learned 
    i know that i followed a beginner guide on maya 4 months ago and i did some model before , but i wanted to start everything from point 0 to not miss anything and to enhance what i know 

i did a hammer today it look very basic but i learn some important stuff which is 

most of the time the concept it looks like it can be traced easly but when u have a closer look it have some perspective problems and u have to plan and figure things out by yourself ,
    also its OKAY for the model to have many objects it don't have to be from a single mesh 
    and i learned about cool and warm lights  , yea i know these are very basic but it's things i was not sure about
  • Mehdi_Fr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mehdi_Fr triangle
    ok so this week i continued watching the course and repeat what the tutor did by my own and if im stuck at sometthing i try to solve it and if i fail i just watch the video again or google the problem , that's my plan for every tutorial , i learned 
    1- Some deformers
    2-  nurbs curve  that can rotatte and repeat 360 times to create interseting models like chess pieces and how to convert them to quads 
    3- basic substance painture texturing and different type of maps also a cool uv trick ( adding an edge loop to some certain models in middle and use that as a cut ) and UDIMS uvs and texturing
    4- hypershade and conecting maps  and i did little experment on a simple barrel 

my thoughts now : i hope im on the right road and i hope i can improve and model and texture everything 
  • Mehdi_Fr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mehdi_Fr triangle
    well it's been 2 week , i just spend most of the time watching tutorial and broadcasts about 3D environment/prop art for games and learning how pipeline work also did some model , learned some things but im having hard time to understand baking and the issues that come with iti couldn't  do the perfect retopology for this blade and had many baking problems , so i left it in high poly state for now ..  

• zetheros
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    zetheros interpolator
    some advice for easier retopo; simple silhouette, complex details. You're off to a good start imo
  • Mehdi_Fr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mehdi_Fr triangle
    zetheros said:
    some advice for easier retopo; simple silhouette, complex details. You're off to a good start imo
    thank you so much ^^ 

• Mehdi_Fr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mehdi_Fr triangle
    i retopology the 2 previous weapons and did some texture , i need to improve on tetxture i felt like im only adding material and smart mask and nothing else